Health and Fitness, April 2014

Share healthy living habits.
Twins' Mom

Re: Health and Fitness, April 2014

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:27 pm

We are home from trip to ATL/GT and to outlet malls in Dawsonville GA, and I forgot my Fitbit! We walked quite a bit on campus last night - finding the venue for the competition, then finding the parking lot again (aided by ds's interpretation of where we said we parked.) Also lots of walking today - my feet, hips and back are aching! Just wish I had gotten credit on the Fitbit.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:22 pm

Did my walk today saw baby sheep.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:14 pm

I lost a few Lbs., some of which were those I'd gained. I'm doing the low carb diet. It seems that counting W. W. Pts. puts me into a "diet mentality" and then I rebel and go off eating too much, gain, and get disgusted. My doctor okays my being on a low carb diet, too. He said that his patients lose on this diet, but if they get too few carbs, they binge on them, gain their weight all back and then some more. So he said to be very careful about that part of it, which was helpful. :idea:

I'm baby-stepping today, by doing to-do's and moving on and off, like sort of a game. I could also use my timer, to help motivate me into moving, for 15 - 20 minutes at a time, then go back to reading, crochet, writing on a story or writing a letter; or whatever. Am trying to make it fun and shake things up a bit, from monotony and boredom. Doesn't Flylady say: "IF IT'S NOT FUN- IT WON'T GET DONE!" I might as well make it fun, or I won't do it and get it done. It's such a challenge, especially if a limb's feeling pain, like today. :roll: I just need to get moving to get grooving. :lol:

I got to thinking later today, how this is a good idea! :idea: Go through my exercise DVD''s & videos, write down the workouts I have, plus other things, like my Richard Simmons' walking cassette tape, my weights, what size weight they are, my PT shoulder exercises folder, etc... I can get a list going, so I can pick and choose workout choices, to make moving more fun and full of variety. Another way of making it fun, is to write exercise workouts on paper, fold the paper twice, put them into a cute dish, and draw 2or 3 papers daily. This would be a variation on exercise. If I accidentally chose the same exercise 2 days in a row, I'd put that 1 back, take out another.
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:30 pm

I washed sheep wool for sme arm exercise I got another bucket of weeds (30 min.) Dug out counting thay for the rest of my ex. Today.

OKay

Postby OKay » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:06 am

I'm still tracking nutrition and steps for awareness & analysis.

Ivy - I like your plan for a variety of exercises. YGG!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:04 pm

One proactive medical visit out of the way - appt with my hormone dr. So impressed with his calm directness and not focusing on what's wrong but enhancing what's right and trusting that the body heals itself. Bloodwork was good and in fact he said my thyroid level was "perfect", which is what sent us in search of what could be causing my lack of energy and nap-seeking. He blames a lot of it on stress, and thinks it has been tiring me, but won't linger. I'm going to be taking extra B-12 to see if that won't help.

I like having fun with choosing workouts for variety, too

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:14 pm

Walked pushing the baby in the stroller, & pulled weeds for my ex. Today. Working with fiber helps me keep my hands out if the cookie jar.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:24 am

Harmony I didn't end up at the place we wanted to be at but did make it to another place and left about 1/4 of the burger behind (and 1/3 of the bun.) Ate every veggie and some of dh's but also had sweet potato fries.

Desperately wanted a soda on Sunday and could have one (not a fast day) but ended up distracting myself enough that I didn't have it after giving myself permission (there's one can downstairs.)

Yesterday I used the "yes, but after doing X" method multiple times through the day to curtain snacking. I still didn't eat well but it was better than it could have been.

I'm on the treadmill now and had to really push through the first 3 minutes which were very painful. I hung on for dear life, supported my weight using my arms on the bars and eventually walked through the pain. The limping has messed up the other ankle so now my achilles tendon is screaming. I have 7 more minutes and really need the steps since I missed my planned walk yesterday (I had to wait around for the UPS guy.)

Today I'm hoping for 4K steps to start my day with and to pick up the remainder this afternoon and evening when I'm out. That will probably only get me to 8K but that's better than yesterday's 5K. (Which would have been 9 had I walked for the mail, sigh.)

Weather today is lousy so I won't be missing out on a walk for the mail by going out this afternoon. I have a Costco run (always good for almost 2K) and then other parking lots (I try to park far away from stores.)

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:56 am

Fifty-two hundred steps yesterday. Better than Sat or Sunday, when I wasn't wearing it!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:42 am

I have list 3 of the 5 lbs. I put on this winter.

Return to “Healthy Habits”