Health and Fitness, May, 2014

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, May, 2014

Postby Harriet » Thu May 01, 2014 1:08 pm

Welcome!

In this thread we chat about keeping ourselves strong and capable as we pursue our calling as homemakers. Our family members may need to lean on us, and we may need to lean on them. Proactive medical answers, sensible consumption of healthy food and water, getting enough rest, and getting enough activity, too - these are all part of our plans! Helping each member of our households work in all their healthy habits is priceless!

Last month's Health and Fitness thread was second only to January, 2013's thread for length, with 124 posts. :shock: That month's had had 125, and I sort of wondered if I should wait for one last word :lol: before posting this one! So much good info throughout last month's thread, so check it out. For instance, I went back already and captured OKay's visual "plate" idea for my fridge-front.

OKay

Re: Health and Fitness, May, 2014

Postby OKay » Thu May 01, 2014 1:51 pm

Harriet - Thank you for this thread. I find it vital to help keep me focused on healthy habit development.

I'm starting the month of May with a weight I haven't seen in a while. I lost 8 lbs during the month of April. My plan is to repeat the weight loss again this month by focusing on healthy habits.

One of my biggest hurdles to overcome is late night eating. My focus this week is directed toward that. When those raging late night binge attacks start I will -
** Observe what time it is. Wait. The urge to eat will pass.
** Be absolutely still. Focus on deep breathing.
** Remember the joy I experience when I wake up and remember that I didn't give in to the urge.
** Listen to podcast that makes me fall asleep.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Thu May 01, 2014 6:13 pm

All good ideas Okay... I'm one of the lucky ones as eating after dinner is not one of my problems. However every once in a while I get urges to eat sweets. I've been drinking hot tea..Constant Comet, decaf, and it has really helped me. I read somewhere that drinking hot tea is a good fix for those kinds of urges and they seem to be helping me.

Congrats on your new eating program and good results.

Yesterday was my day to celebrate and I did. I ate some bread, a half of piece of cheese cake and drank a beer for my birthday celebration. This morning I got back on my program. I didn't eat crazy yesterday, but I sure did enjoy every bit, plus the freedom I gave myself to do it.

Don't know if I will get in my 10k step in today, but it will be close. I am doing whats needed around the house to get ready for my party so I'm focusing on that.

Will start my next diietbet on Monday. I did win this time, but at this point don't know how much. Doesn't matter cause I'll just roll it over for the next game. I was only suppose to loose 4% of my body weight, which would have been 7lbs, but I did beat that. Monday I will do it again. Course I will be starting at a lower weight so won't have to loose as much, but I am going to try and beat what I did this month.

I want to do a bit more subbing this month as there is only 3 more weeks of school left and I would like to add a few extra pennies to carry me over for the summer. It will be interesting to see how that plays out with my eating plan. Downfall to subbing is this is when food is brought in most days for the staff to enjoy and I always get invited to join . Part of that is because I taught so many years at this school and the staff sees me as part of them rather then a sub. Not a bad thing, but oh my goodness there's a reason I gained 15 lbs over the years I worked there. Teachers are like nurses...they love their sugar and it will be hard to avoid. Just need to make sure I pack acceptable foods and close my eyes when I walk past the tables that will be loaded with goodies.

I also have several celebrations and retirement parties coming up. That will also be a challenge. Usually there aren't many acceptable foods around. I like to eat a big meal at home before I venture to these parties. Plus I have a big party at my house this Sat. I can skirt around that though, I'm not overly fond of the pies I make...too sweet for me, but everyone else loves them, and I can have the kinds of food on hand that I can eat. Usually I am so busy making sure everyone is having a good time I hardly have time to eat myself.
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu May 01, 2014 11:17 pm

I'm on track with my food today, but last p.m. I did some emotional/stress eating. :oops:
So I've been Very Certain to be good today, to help make up for last night's blunder.

I stretched the calves/ankles, walked 25 minutes, & did those stretches again.
When DD phoned on our cell phone, I walked 20 more minutes, but didn't stretch as I should have before or after walking with her. :roll:

Tomorrow, I hope to get my walking down earlier in the day, along with some yoga moves.
I'll plan to keep on track with my food calorie counter journal, too. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

OKay

Postby OKay » Fri May 02, 2014 7:21 am

I am so very grateful for this thread. Reading your triumphs, methods, struggles helps me in ways that are hard to put into words. I think about you many times during the day.

I am hopeful to start feeling better today. I have taken 13 antibody pills in the last 48 hours so surely my body and energy level will be back to its normal self soon. Although I do still have signs & symptoms of sinus infection so it seems this is a tough one to get over. I have 5 more days of meds to take so hopefully I will get a huge dose of patience with the recovery time.

When last weekend adventure with DGD3 happened, I stopped logging my food on MyFitnessPal. I need to restart that healthy habit. It is quick and easy to do and I find it is hard to deny that I am over eating when the detailed facts show the truth.

Today I am eating out @ lunch and also entertaining a group in our home this evening. Both social events could be opportunities to over eat, however I am feeling confident that I can stick to healthy habits AND totally enjoy each social event. Confidence comes from having a plan what I will eat at lunch and knowing the evening social event happens after my fasting starts at 6pm. That eliminates all food decisions and only leaves me with making drink decisions.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri May 02, 2014 10:01 am

Yd. Wk. = ex. Weeding and mowing.
Food a bit off track.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri May 02, 2014 11:59 am

I did not do good last month. I have another goal and another plan. Time for a restart.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri May 02, 2014 1:25 pm

Weighed in and restarted at WW on Wednesday p.m. With the trip yesterday and running this morning, I haven't logged my food - need to do that this afternoon also.

My Fitbit has been washed one too many times and has given up the fight. Ordering a new one killed me, but they've replaced it once and I'm not asking again, as many times as I have washed it. I must develop a routine so I don't do that - best is taking if off at night and putting it on pajamas.

Once I get the new one, I'll focus on my exercise and walking.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Fri May 02, 2014 7:47 pm

Not only did I lose 8.5 lbs last month, I won $52.92 with dietbet. I'm going to roll over another $30 bucks this month and play again. I like this win money for losing weight thingie. ;-)
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri May 02, 2014 10:58 pm

Mowing & yd. work = ex. Today.

Return to “Healthy Habits”