Health and Fitness, May, 2014

Share healthy living habits.
OKay

Re: Health and Fitness, May, 2014

Postby OKay » Tue May 20, 2014 6:45 am

After making a course correction in healthy habits, I had a much better day yesterday.

TADA's -
** Almost doubled my average number of steps (8343)
** Walked for 30 minutes. I was determined to not go to bed without doing it so I jumped onto the treadmill for 30 minutes right before bedtime.
** Tracked food. Although I went 72 calories over my goal, I was pleased with my effort. It included 8 vegetables and 3 fruits

Resulting in scales headed in right direction. .8 weight loss this morning. I know everyday won't be like this, but I'm enjoying the moment. It was a wonderful start to tracking food.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed May 21, 2014 12:37 am

Yd. =ex. For me today.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Wed May 21, 2014 11:46 am

I'm coming off a really nasty migraine... So bad I lost a day and woke up thinking it was Thur.

I did not step on the scale. No need to do that. I know from past experiences that my weight will be up. No steps yesterday, battling a migraine all Monday night and into tue, little water, plus a boat load of meds will do that to me.

So now I begin again today. Not sure abt steps because I'm still not 100%. Not even close. But I've got my water, eaten my breakfast... 2 eggs and coffee...and will get on my gazelle later today even if it's just for 15 minutes.

Still have almost two weeks to go so I'm not panicked yet.

Good for you okay for getting in your steps..
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed May 21, 2014 7:44 pm

((Cowinkie)) So glad that's over.

Well, I'm having a low-calorie day today for the first time in a while. So I'm letting the carbs go a little higher than usual just because I know my meals are tiny and I have a different priority for one day. Lots of ice water. Sitting at 750 calories right now, before 8:00 p.m., and feeling rather well.

Coconut milk/protein powder/frozen cherries "shake"
Atkins bar
half an egg
small taco
spinach
natural potato chips - 1 ounce

Tomorrow I'll try to hit about 1,800.

The time of year to start drinking all my water with ice.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu May 22, 2014 8:38 am

Definitely needed that day. Felt "a bit peckish" by evening. An "I could eat" feeling, lol. But not hungry, so off to bed at 750 calories. Scale was down 2 pounds this morning, more than a usual down-day change, which tells me that I had had too many of the wrong kind of carbs recently and my body was holding some water weight. Not hungry now, so I won't rush into breakfast, and that way my body can take a little more time off from digestive work.

I'm going to try NOT to eat any of the same foods I had yesterday so that any feelings of deprivation are nipped in the bud. But I do want to count calories and stay at 1,800.

Getting enough water makes me feel so much better. The days here are getting hotter, for sure, and ice water is the ticket.

I read another rubber-band trick for water yesterday - especially water drinking when you are in weight-loss mode - from Dr. Elliot Darden. Keep your own personal plastic water container with a straw with you through the day. Figure out how many of this filled container of water you want to drink in a day. Put that number of rubber bands around it and take OFF one rubber band each time you finish one. Try to finish most of the water by 5 o'clock so you don't have to get up much in the night.

The straw is because we naturally drink more water when we sip than we do when we drink from glasses. He recommends ice in the water, because the body then burns some calories to bring it to body temperature, plus many people report they like it better than tepid water. He thinks almost everyone would benefit from upping their water intake, btw, and especially for weight loss. He says to feel ill effects, you would have to drink 5 gallons in a day, so moving up from the half-gallon most conventional wisdom suggests is very safe. He has his weight-loss patients try for one gallon a day and has them take their water along with them on daily walks.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu May 22, 2014 10:26 am

Went for my lab work today. Questioned the gal what they were testing, and then asked about the one yearly one for another dr. who said I could get it there along with the rest of them....nope not ordered.... and she had to look it up to see and find out what kind of tube to use. Then I asked if urinalysis was ordered, nope not ordered...so I had to explain what happened last time and what the dr. had told me.

The Phlebotomist (sp?) congratulated me on being on top of things like this. I felt sorry for all the old people who go for tests and don't get what they need because they're not sharp enough or don't remember or understand. I'm basically screwed if I get into that category. DH isn't a detailed person and he won't remember to ask if we ever get into that care-giving situation. Remember, he's the one who took all the meds they gave him in rehab even though I kept asking him what he's getting...and they forgot several days of antibiotic for him. He thought it was just fine to trust what people around him were doing. They had him on allergy medicine and he didn't even know about it.

Stuff like this is just scary to me. I shouldn't borrow trouble by worrying about the future, but I can't help but think what may happen down the road. I saw it with DFiL. Nobody seemed to know what was going on around him and I was the only one asking detailed questions.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu May 22, 2014 10:42 am

Harmony, my advice would be, pick a daughter and start telling her stuff! Give her copies of any medical info that is worth remembering in the future, like when you had a certain procedure, when you were diagnosed with hypothyroid and what med helped, what dosage. Either that or keep a detailed notebook (you are good at that) with the info in it. Show both daughters what it looks like and where you keep it. Let them know you are thinking in terms of maybe someday needing their input.

Good job knowing what you needed to have done and not depending upon the med techs or correct record-keeping from other offices. However, it is very sobering that help from you is needed. Really, every time a mistake is made (like not ordering a test) it should be pointed out.

Sadie's friend's experience the other day in a medical office is a cautionary tale. We don't have any real assurance that everyone in a medical office is truly professional or well-informed. It's really in our own hands first and foremost.

Just thinking to add, that I have shared with dd34 all about my thyroid and it was mainly to hope she would remember if ever she began to wonder about her own. But another good thought is that she will be very aware of my pneumonia bout, my thyroid worries, etc., to be a help to HRH one of these days with answers for doctors if she's needed. I do tend to tell her a lot of medical stuff, so thinking about Harmony's post, I'm glad I do.

Our medical files are not as well organized as they should be. That's a good future organizing chore to keep in mind. I worked hard keeping everything together for my parents and now that I think of it my mother had records to hand to me from way back before she was my age now! Smart woman.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu May 22, 2014 11:50 pm

I set the timer for 60 minutes, ended up doing a 90-minute Conga a day early with lol & donation readying for ARC. Was active, in other words, working up a sweat.

My only discretion was I ate 1/2-cup trail mix with M & M's in it. :( I was hungry for chocolate, but I'm sure my activity today will have helped burn it off. :idea: :?:

I'll try to finish up my Conga tomorrow. (Friday the 23rd.) And try to stay out of the trail mix. :idea: :!:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

OKay

Postby OKay » Fri May 23, 2014 7:28 am

Floating around without an anchor in the medical field is scary....and can be difference between life & death. I've seen it happen here too.

Harriet - BWTG!! Your success is inspiring!

Ivy - How many calories does the 1/2 cup of trail mix have? Does it have nuts & fruit in it? It sounds like a healthy meal.

I have stumbled and slide into a slump. I'm not pleased. I could tell you 100 reasons, but it really doesn't matter. I can either quit or start again. Tracking food today. Will post stats later.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri May 23, 2014 8:54 am

Took a walk last evening.

Return to “Healthy Habits”