Health and Fitness, May, 2014

Share healthy living habits.
Harmony

Re: Health and Fitness, May, 2014

Postby Harmony » Fri May 23, 2014 1:25 pm

I'm stumbling along too. Badly.

Forced myself to get on the scale today. Yep, not good. None of the goals I set were met or even half-way met. Tuesday I go to the dr. Anticipation adding to my stress level.

I am keeping a notebook, notes about things and drs. reports, etc. all in a file. Not going to do me much good with noone in town here to read. DH is just not going to be good with this I fear. I tell DD2 everything that's going on as it happens. She's overwhelmed with her own life and neglects her own health. DD1 is not a help either, thinking that her own life is busier or more difficult than anybody else's.

I've never had DH accompany me to a dr. visit, though I go to his because he doesn't hear well or think clearly or remember. One day during DFiL's hospice stay, dsisilaw said if she gets ill she wants ME to be in charge.

See, there I am borrowing trouble before its time.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri May 23, 2014 2:17 pm

Well, I must admit that even though it seems normal-ish for me to appear at HRH's dr visits sometimes, it probably would feel odd to him to go in with me. Women can pull off the "nurturing busy-body" persona ! Men may look either threatening or bumbling, and probably because they are larger physically, will find it harder to say, "don't mind me, I'll just be in this little space in the corner" like I said so many times with my ddad.

HRH is at dd's desk behind me at the moment, so I just asked. He says for consultations he'd be there with bells on, but for examinations it would be very awkward to him, but he would do it if I needed him. He says it might be easier with women doctors than with men doctors. He says one thing to remember is a husband will also be having to squelch the natural revulsion to any other man touching his wife, even if it's a rib or an arm. One thing for a husband to know in his head it's fine, another to actually get over it and listen.

I know my mother would say take a 3x5 INTO visit with your questions and a 3x5 OUT with the answers and new info. Would she then have shared with my ddad and expected him to get it and remember? I doubt it. He would have been hopelessly inept at that. :roll:

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri May 23, 2014 10:49 pm

I ate healthy all day/this evening, but didn't exercise. I was very tired from being up late & getting up early. I got in a nap.

I was happy to find out that I'm in all my smaller size bras I bought on sale 2 years ago, for that day, when I'd have lost enough weight in the bust to be able to wear them. I got buy 2, get 1 free Bali bras in 38-C & somebody who used to work in lingerie, like I did for awhile, told me Bali runs small. So this is why it's taken me longer to get shrunk down into them. I have 1 pair of bras, too snug yet, but several fit wonderfully. I'm so happy & feel like "progress" is finally being made. I still have an above the waist little belly flab, wide rear, which is flat & saggy, too, but I used to weigh over 100 lbs. more than I do now, so something's about to sag & bag someplace. :idea: :lol: Being able to camouflage by what I wear, helps, too.

I donated a turtleneck to ARC. I'd read a book on how to look thinner. It said that tops/turtlenecks, which were longer, accentuated the belly/hip area. They suggested cutting off about 4 - 5" to hem them up, so the hem was higher, didn't accentuate the lower wider portion of me. I did this with several turtlenecks, but after I DID it, I was SOOOooooOOOOO Sorry I did! :roll: :oops: I got some too short, so wore them under blouses & sweaters. Lesson I learned: DON'T "BELIEVE" EVERYTHING YOU READ! Follow your gut! :!:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

OKay

Postby OKay » Sat May 24, 2014 8:09 am

Fighting my way out of the slum. I tracked calories yesterday and the scales took a huge drop today. One day at a time. Going to continue the fight today.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat May 24, 2014 7:00 pm

I ate a Nature Valley peanut butter chocolate breakfast bar w/almond butter on it for breakfast.
For lunch, I ate 1/2 cup seafood salad & 3/4 c. cantaloupe.
I am able to fit into size 16 jeans now, without the "W" with the size & 38-C bras again. I'm so happy.
My waist gets measured tomorrow, I'll weigh in again, to compare my week's weight loss. I'll add the line to the loss graph.
So far, I'd lost 2.2 Lbs. this week, but I have to take into account today's eating & my dinner & if I snack this evening.
The calories, daily, for the week, have been on track, as well as activity; although I didn't walk daily.
I'm starting to begin week #6 of my 10-week Calorie King calorie & activity counter book.
I have 2 months until my Dr. appt., so hoping to lose before then, some more, too.
I feel that it's easier to count calories now, especially by not "cheating" on it. I'm proud of my progress so far.
Mother's Day was a bad food-eating day for me, because salads caused Gastritis & then I was ill for a few days.
I got over it, by watching my diet, know which foods to eat now. Margarine & butter are bad for Gastritis, so I now use Molly McButter sprinkles on hot squash or potatoes. On bread I use almond butter or honey or apple butter. These are all foods, which cut out the acid in the tummy. By researching on-line, it sure did help me to find helpful food lists. I need to be careful of food portions, or can overdo it with tummy pain or bloating & gas, etc.....
It's good to be proactive when you're on a restricted diet, too. It makes the calorie counting easier for me, somehow. Sundays are the end-of-the-week summary days in the booklet. I can hardly wait to start book #2. I'm saving each book, to compare, as I journey into 2015. My books will last into the summer of 2015. I'll decide at that time, to either continue the books or go it alone without them. I enjoy the books because I can gauge my calories burned, subtract them from food calories. The book's so nifty the way they're set up, too. I got mine at the B 'n' N site. I had researched them, reading testimonies from others who used the books, too. They fit into my purse easy, too. It's a win-win situation, having booklets like this on my side. I can't say enough about how nice they are. I'm hoping Sunday brings me a good weigh-in & my waist inches stayed the same or went down. I am enjoying this journey so much. In conjunction with Dr. visits, it's motivating me onto a "new me". ;) I feel more empowered, somehow.
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

OKay

Postby OKay » Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 am

Ivy - YGG!! Congrats on following your plan!

I tracked my food yesterday and stayed within calorie goal.

I'm considering trying a weekly calorie goal instead of daily. I don't want to distract myself and get off track, but tracking calories weekly seems to be a good way to recovery from one day blooper......not that i ever have one of those. :roll: :shock:

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun May 25, 2014 12:23 pm

OKay, You could do what I do, in my CalorieKing calorie & activity booklet. They have you count daily calories & at the end of the week, you add them up, divide by 7, to get your daily average. It helps me look at what I'm eating in a different light & I make better choices.

I was so happy this morning to measure my waist & I've lost 1/2" in it since last week & I lost 1.6 Lbs. in 1 week, too. :) I hope I can keep it up into this next week, too, which is week #7 for me, on the booklet. There are 10 weeks in the booklets. I see my Dr. the end of July, so have 2 more months to go.

Also, I'll see if I can get my physical in Nov. or Dec., too. If I *DO*, then I'll have another healthy goal to attain a better health & better weight to go for. :idea:

I want to lose for these reasons:
1- So I can take day trips in the car with less pain.
2- Have more energy.
3- Be healthier.
4- Feel less pain in the joints where I've got osteo.
5- Can buy myself a nice denim jacket & nice leather jacket when I'm at goal. :P
6- To be able to keep up with DH when he goes shopping at Costco! :!: :!:
7- To be able to keep up with my toddler grands.
8- To look better.
9- To get into a smaller jeans size.
10- To just know that I DID it! :P

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun May 25, 2014 2:25 pm

Yd. Wk. = ex. Here today for me. Plus a walk.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon May 26, 2014 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun May 25, 2014 5:11 pm

I start Week #7 on Memorial Day, in my calorie book.
Tonight, I'll take the average daily calories eaten & exercise/activity done.
Then, I'll make a goal for week #7, in my booklet & for my "to do" list, how many daily calories to aim for.
I know I need to move more. It seems like I'll move a *lot* on 1 day, but the next day I'm like a slug because I'm worn out. I need to make movement a daily goal. A timer helps a lot. When I work on writing, I can't sit too long in the office chair, so I'm up & down & all over the house doing this & that. That works! :D

I like how you, Nancy, incorporate your daily chores into exercise. :idea: Thanks for being a good example to all of us. :!:

OKay

Postby OKay » Mon May 26, 2014 9:35 am

Another day tracking, staying under goal and number on scales trending downward. I'm feeling hopeful that I'm coming out of the slump. Between the slump & being sick for 3 weeks, I suspect the month of May isn't going to show a weight loss. At this point, I would be THRILLED to maintain and not end up with a gain. We shall see in 5 more days.

Return to “Healthy Habits”