Health and Fitness June 2014

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness June 2014

Postby Harriet » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:54 pm

I did it. I opened the pocketbook. :lol: (I'm so cheap. This is a joke around here.)

I called the T-Tapp office and chatted a while and got help making the best new DVD decision for me, for where I am right now. I was really honest about how I need to care for my lower back, how I've decided to "up" my workouts and include more floor work again, but want to be e-a-s-y about it, and how my tummy disappoints me. They directed me away from a DVD I might have ordered, because they didn't think I needed to be doing speedy reps. (Me neither! I had realized it was a shorter (less minutes) workout - which might mean too tough - but not that it was more reps, too.)

So I ordered the newly released instructional for floor work - slow, deliberate learning with lots of "whys" and "becauses". Took advantage of a June special that bundled that one with another new "core" floor work one that will be more of a challenge to the tummy. I will make myself keep that one on the shelf a while until I master the first, but I feel virtuous getting a bit of a bargain.

This is our 100th post in this thread I just noticed! My goodness, we are consistently hitting such high posting numbers with Health and Fitness.

Looking forward to all the reporting and planning when we start July.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:16 pm

Yesterday my Fitbit reports that I have climbed the St Louis Gateway arch (26 stairs), while on Saturday I climbed the Leaning Tower of Pisa (19 stairs.) Says I'm up to 20 so far today. I did a reset to see if that would stop whatever is happening to it to get these crazy numbers.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:02 pm

LOL..Twins that's funny..

I posted earlier this morning from my iphone and then lost it when I hit the wrong button. Needed to get out of the house fast so I am just getting back here to repost again.

My scale swung down again today, so now I'm at my lowest point since this April. Today I am wearing a skort that I haven't had on in five years...see me strut. Don't want to get too cocky cause yesterday the scale went up even though I stayed on the plan and didn't do anything different...good thing I like roller coaster cause I think thats the kind of weight loose ride I'm on.

Harriet...good for you for calling to ask which of the dvd's suit you the best. That way you will enjoy doing them more instead of getting frustrated and not doing them at all.

I made a delicious made from scratch chicken pot pie yesterday for Sweetie's dinner. Boy did it smell and look good. However I only sample a tablespoon of it to see if it tasted good enough to serve to company. Yes indeedy it does. Sweetie will be eating it again for dinner tonight, then I'm going to see if I can freeze it. I just ate my lunch..chicken and broccoli so I'm having fish and califlower for dinner.

I have been cooking all sorts of interesting things for Sweetie and eating none of it. I've discovered just because I love to cook I don't have to give it up while i'm doing this program. Cooking and baking relaxes me and as long as I can eat a bite to see how it tastes I'm good to go.

I made Sweetie some really tasty healthy..low sugar and unbleached flower..blueberry muffins the other day that were the best I've ever made. I ate a bite of one and was able to stay away from it after that. I've learned I can eat out and still enjoy the moment. I carry my salad dressing with me so there's always something on the menu I can eat. Also I've been pulling up the menu for where ever we're eating ahead of time so I don't need to look at it when I get there. That has really seemed to help as well
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:30 pm

Goodness, Twins' Mom. That IS astonishing cyber-scaling. :shock: Does it make you wonder if the other reports from the fitbit are accurate, or are you pretty sure it's only the step part that is out of whack? I know this bugs you since you have spent enough money with the company by now, taking a water-logging as your own responsibility when others might have demanded a replacement.

Ramblinrose, an even more worrisome scenario would have been that I might have done one that was too tough and demanded so much of myself that I had a bad experience - even get hurt. If that were the reason for stopping, I know from experience it can knock me out of commission for a while. Hmmm... I am wondering about calling you "Ramblin" or "Rose".... ...

I am taking a 15-min break from the Total workout right now. It gets to the runner's stretch and I have to breathe a while before tackling that. When I was "only 50" I went straight through. Maybe again before too long. But if not, I will still feel fit.

Family is conscientiously going out to the store right now. :) They are kind to make themselves scarce and let me have the LR tv. Of course, it also means they don't have to admit I'm outdistancing them on workouts right now!

Interesting thing... ... HRH's hair is getting darker. :? We are both :? but most all the ends of hair/beard are gray and hair/beard near skin is growing out brown or brownish, his well-clipped mustache (which we just know used to have gray streaks) completely brown. What's up with that? (His hair and beard are probably longer than most men's so it's not some kind of shocking line of change - but we notice it.) He was researching it and there's some kind of acidity that can be involved in prematurely graying hair (so maybe he changed diet and reversed something like that?), but that doesn't seem to explain the whole thing? His father had noticed his very graying hair in the months before his father's death and mentioned that it was getting grayer than his own. Now...?
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:18 pm

TaDa. Took an hour to do a 45-min workout but I'm happy with it. Yay me. I high-fived the cat.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:34 am

Harriet ... Feel free to use either version I'll even answer to RR... What ever floats your boat :)

I am even-Steven today and I am ok with that. Last night Sweetie commented that I seemed to be smiling much more since I received my B+ shot last week. I told him I thought it was because I was seeing some positive results from working my eating plan, but perhaps it's the combination of both. I don't notice any physical difference when I take these shots except around 4pm. That's the time my energy hits it's low point. I usually drink a cup of herbal tea at that time. It doesn't exactly give me a second wind but it does help.

I get my shot on tues. so I'm due today. I'm out of grapefruit so I will have strawberries this morning and I'm drinking my coffee black. I doubt I'll reach my dietbet this month, but considering what a crazy ride this has been will still think of this month as a success. I stayed focused on my plan and didn't use the ups and downs as an excuse to give up or give in on my plan. I found a positive way to reinforce my efforts so am extremely happy with my change in behavior.

Won't do the dietbet this coming month because I have two trips planned, but also already know I won't use these trips to go crazy with my eating either. There are always two things I eat when I go home... Grilled hotdogs with onion rings and very very thin crust pizza. Will still eat both, but will cut my portions.

This is a life change, not a diet and my mind is slowly excepting this idea. That fact that I did this once before with 15 years of success makes all of this feel faintly familiar and helps to keep me motivated.

Harriet..I know what you mean about exercising at home when people are around. I am lucky that I can close my office door so Sweetie can't see me.. I don't care when I'm in a class with a bunch of people, but I'm uncomfortable thinking Sweetie can see me...
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Return to “Healthy Habits”