Health and Fitness June 2014

Share healthy living habits.
Twins' Mom

Re: Health and Fitness June 2014

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:51 am

Dee, we use olive oil and olive oil spray and butter for most cooking, altho Hanukkah latkes go in canola oil! For spreading we are using Brummel & Brown Spread made with yogurt. http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/store ... &langId=-1 I haven't cked ingredients based upon latest new announcements, Harriet may be able to tell us whether it's a decent choice.

Time magazine had a recent article with butter on the cover of the magazine - I don't subscribe so haven't read the article but there's a lot of comment out there that butter is not the enemy, fat is the enemy!

Ate well yesterday!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:54 pm

I survived the gym... I read the schedule wrong and ended up doing Zumba. Usually I spend most of my time tripping over my feet, but this instructor used moved that weren't overly complicated plus she signaled with her hands which way we were moving. Enjoyed it enough I will do her class again. Then I stayed for the yoga class... I thought it was tomorrow.

Anyway though I've never need very flexible and find that yoga can be difficult for me because of it, did the moves to the best of my abilities even though my muscles were screaming. Know they will thank me for pumping new blood back in them. Will make myself do that class as well.

Harriet I use lite salt when I use it. I never cook with it either. My mom never used salt when she cooked and I must have picked it up from her. My salt shaker is filled with lite salt but most of the holes are plugged. That's fine with me. That way I get the feeling of "shaking" the salt shaker. Sweetie never uses the salt or pepper shaker. Now I do like pepper on my food.

I never use artificial butter of any kind, always butter. Another habit of my moms. Yesterday when I went to check out at the grocery store I got to giggling... I had tons of fresh vegetables, radishs, cucs, green beans, two kinds of peppers and squash, kale and more lettuce and two bags of cookies... Mint Oreos and chips ahoy wanna guess who they were for??? My very thin dh. The check out gal sort of looked at me funny when she got to the cookies :lol:
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:00 pm

Cowinkie, the book I read over vacation Salt, Fat and Sugar says that most of the salt we get is from processed food, not what we add to food we cook. Author told of one study that measured how much salt people added to food/cooking and it couldn't possibly account for the salt in our diet. Also some examples of how bad some processed food tastes w/o salt!

I've cut back on processed foods!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:44 pm

Twins' Mom I want to read that book you mentioned. I'm sure I get too much sodium in prepared or processed foods. But I have first breakfast of only fruit when I can, and brunch is usually just egg and bacon, possibly a smoothie of natural things. After that, the day may go kaflooey! Thanks for the confidence in me :lol: but really for spreads it's unfounded - I've never learned much about them.

Salt - we use Himalayan salt (that's just the name of the type of salt, not a brand, capitalized only because it's named for a place). It is often pink looking. Costs more. Doesn't contribute to high blood pressure, though. I just get whichever brand is available or least expensive.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:05 am

I'm off to the gym to do this new to me kickboxing cardo class. I did this class for years at my other gym but never at this one. When I first started, my goal was to thorp punches so I didn't look like a girl. After I got good at this Marshall arts infusion of workout I would use my "boys" at school to practice on. It was always good for some laughs plus the boys honed in on my punches and refined them so I was throwing punches correctly.

This class has alway been my love and I am hoping this class will be a good one. Will have to do my ab challenge when I get home.

Twins... I haven't eaten any processed foods in a while. Well I do use mayo. I use lettuce leaves for my bread... Doe t toast very well :lol: and some salad dressing... One tbsp daily... And sometimes mustard, but not much else. I'm trying to eat as clean as possible without any flour, starch or sugar.

Yesterday I drank almost 100 ozs of water plus two big cups of tea and coffee. I am also trying to cut back on my truvia. Only using 1/2 pack in each of my 12 oz cups of hot drinks.

I have two denim dresses that I dearly love, one of which I usually live in during the summers. Haven't been able to wear them in at least 5 years. Tried them on yesterday and I'm almost there. Think in another week or so I'll be there. That's my new goal anyway. Have them hanging in my office on my bookshelves where they are visible. That helps to motivate me while giving me an extra purpose to stay focused.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:12 am

Did 0.5 mi. On ex. Bike last nite I did not get to it soon enough in my day. Need to do better today.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:10 am

Well I'm staying on my plan, drinking 100 ozs of water daily, and exercising. I'm staying away from the scale since that bouncing around really was messing with my mind. Just keeping focused and will weigh on Monday. My shorts are so loose that I can pull them down without buttoning or unzipping them.

Soon I'll be singing "pants on the ground". Once long ago I lost a lot of weight because I went through a divorce. My frind kept telling me my pants were too big, but I didn't see it. Then one day standing in the back of a store she yanked my pants clear down to my ankles and said see what I mean. I bought new jeans and then when we got home she made me try on all my pants and yanked each pair of so I could "see" myself thin.

I hated my class yesterday... Nothing like the real deal kickboxing class. Won't be going back to that one.

Doing my abs class this morning. Did 4 miles on my gazelle yesterday.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:44 pm

WTG, Cowinkie, I'm not doing so well in the exercise dept but you are an inspiration!

I went on to WW and weighed in and am down a pound for 4.4 since restarting - I can live with that for sure because I had several not very good days this week, and yesterday was completely on the road except for breakfast. I had Subway sandwich for lunch and MCD Premium wrap for supper - both better choices that what I would have chosen at MCD before. And no french fries, which I think for me are the trifecta of fat sugar and salt.

When I got back from WW I ate the last sliver of the peach pie from Sunday and a healthy wrap w hummus, turkey pepperoni, tomatoes and basil and artichoke hearts.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:00 pm

Yes! :!: Cowinkie - YOU ARE INSPIRING us all! 8-) Big WTG! :)

I used my custom-made orthotics in New Balance trail walkers ALL day yesterday, meaning I'm "weaned" off the AFO's! 8-) :!: Did ankle PT ex's this a.m., then iced, getting into my orthotics a.s.a.p. Am crocheting, but get up to putter in between baby-stepping of making Granny squares.

I "NEED" to do yoga/calf/back stretches today!!! :idea:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:16 pm

Twins...the dietbet is really helping me stay on track and making the right choices. Don't think I would be doing this well with out it. I hate to lose, not the weight but the challenge and this month there is $100 and my pride at stake :lol:

Return to “Healthy Habits”