Health and Fitness July 2014

Share healthy living habits.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness July 2014

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:00 pm

Biked this morning. About 6 miles (didn't measure it because my bike computer doesn't work.)

Then I did my standing stretches after on the balcony. That was very pleasant. Great view and fresh breeze after warming up with the bike ride. Took just over an hour for stretches and bike ride (just 37 actually biking.)

Last night I chose the baked fish & salad option for dinner instead of fish and chips. So got lots of veggies and less fat. Plus we biked there.

Today I chose all-day breakfast for my lunch but that wasn't at all healthy. Dinner is a lost cause except I'll choose the chicken breast on a bun. At the funeral reception I had equal parts fruit and baked goods but avoided the tortilla chips with dips and brie on french bread so I feel I need a star!

Might take a nap now. Had 2 glasses of water in the car on the way home from the reception since my body feels full of junk. That might be a function of the high-fat lunch or just that my insides haven't restarted working since they were cleaned out.

My foot is managing OK even though I've been in sandals all day. I have my shoes with orthotics on right now and that feels better.

Harriet For jet lag there is a definite correlation between daylight and sleeping at night. So when traveling east-bound to Europe the first thing we do (since we arrive in the morning) is get out and walk outside. Even if it isn't sunny, the daylight helps reset one's body. Westbound is always easier for jet lag but it is still important to get outside asap.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:17 pm

Well, this is the cousin whose house you saw. I think the struggle of dealing with an old (beautiful but old) house and having very difficult installation of modern amenities because of the structure, makes life there a puzzle. Money spent on AC is not doing for that house what the same money would do for others. So, it SEEMS smart to close all blinds against the sun. But then there is an unhealthy element, because you can't even tell what time of day it is. I'm trying to point out some wisdom - let's hope I get through! Insomnia is awful.

Nancy, did that cleaning involve dust/mildew or pollen? Yup, yup, yup! I once cleaned in my aunt's breezeway area where she had some open shelving with ditsy items to dust, and even the next day was still sick with sinus/respiratory and headachey.

FFriend, that's a nice goal. I worked retail clothing for 3 years but never worked their lingerie dept so I never learned that helpful stuff about how to fit a bra, etc.

Jackets - another item I purchased too many of when at a smaller size. Now they look so nice in my closet. :roll:

Size - having those feelings of cinching in some. Vague impression that waistline/back muscles are cinching. Still at that stage of not really able to prove it.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:50 pm

Feeling better now. Yea! :oops: red face from the heat hot out we played in the water hand wateting plants is fun. :idea: We came in to the basement to cool off.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:57 pm

Focusing on water today. Up to 7 glasses of water, plus a glass of milk, cup of decaf tea (I switched to that this morning, now that the move is over) and a glass of juice.

Also biked 18 km (about 12 miles.) Foot is sore now but I failed to do stretches after (we had other distractions when we came into the apartment.)

Weighed myself this morning and am up 3lbs from Tuesday. Sigh.... just didn't gain back what I lost, I gained an extra pound.

It is daunting to think I need to lose 48 pounds. May as well round that up to 50. At 10 pounds a month (the best I've ever done in weight loss), I'm looking at Christmas before I could be back at goal weight.

WW has one set mini goals so my first is to no longer be considered obese. That is an 11 pound loss.

It will be 40 lbs to get back to a 'normal' weight.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:23 pm

Ex. Today included yd wk and yd sale set up.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:38 pm

I too, have a stubborn weight problem and really need to do something about it. Decided (only today) that I will try something I tried a few years ago. I named it my
"No S Diet" -No sweets, no snacks, no seconds.
I plan to also use the "Don't Break the Chain" on my phone and try to get to that 21 days. I already know it will probably be broken on our get-away this coming week. Have a coupon for free "Anniversary Cake" at Miller's in Lancaster. We'll see -maybe I'll just let dh have it. I just need a simple plan.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:59 am

I was active today, which is good, but I ate an ice cream sandwich, which was NOT good to do! :roll: :oops: But I put clothes on and they're loose, I keep donating larger things to ARC, so my days of indulging are few. But I need to move more, daily, more often.

Today, a local FOX channel news affiliate reporter said for every hour of sitting, she gets up and moves around for awhile. They have a site, where people log their tips for being more healthy and active, eating a better diet, etc.... So this was her tip. If I see the ad again, I'll go to that site, to read tips. I'll share the URL here, too, for you to see. Now, just so I can remember. :!:

Dee, I love the "S" Diet! It's simple! :idea:

I also snacked today, on healthy stuff, but just too much of it. :oops: :o I DO believe I was emotional eating, because I was preparing 2 lists for upcoming appt.s in the next 2 weeks. :idea: So I was stress-eating, to make myself feel more in control, but I was OUT of control. :? :roll: :( :oops: I do that. I'm fine for awhile, then have a slip-up. I don't know why it is, but I've always been this way. Is it this way with everybody? :?: I feel "so alone" when I'm doing it, too. Like I'm the only human that takes 3 giant steps back.
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:50 am

I do that. I'm fine for awhile, then have a slip-up. I don't know why it is, but I've always been this way. Is it this way with everybody?
Oh, yeah, FF. No doubt about that! Thinking about the "S" diet I should also add "S" for Steps as in at least 3,000. Know 10,000 is the recommended amount but I know me well enough to know I'll never get that many in. Could aim for 5,000 -we'll see about that. But starting with 3,000 is better than 2,000. :D
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:35 am

Dee: I used to think 5K steps was recommended and then I got the fitbit and learned it was 10K. I'm 'cheating' now and wearing the fitbit all the time and letting it counts steps (and 'stairs') while I bike. It looks like it gives me credit for 'walking' about 1/3 the distance I bike. Since I shouldn't be on my feet at all, I figure this is a good compromise. Since I'm walking between 1 & 2 miles each day just moving around the apartment and out on errands, I need to bike 6 - 12 miles a day in order to make the 10K steps. Needless to say, aside from yesterday, I'm not managing it yet. But it does show me I have to do an extra push.

One thing about the treadmill is that the steps I take on it will be gentler than the steps I'll take in the rest of the apartment but I'm not sure when (if ever), I'll get back to the treadmill.

I'm ready to go out on the bike now. I have an errand to run so may combine the two, even though I'm in workout clothes. I got up late so ended up eating breakfast and am now having my tea, so want that all to settle before heading off. Which makes getting s2s very late today.

Yesterday I researched yoga and learned that what I was looking for was recovery yoga. Then I googled that, plus my city name, and discovered there is a studio just a 7 minute bike ride (or 20 minute walk) away that offers therapeutic yoga classes for those recovering from injury, illness or in chronic pain. They are small, you have to go in for an assessment, and the goal of the class is to get you strong enough to join their recovery yoga and then regular yoga classes. It sounds perfect! So that is on my to-do list for next week.

I'm also going to check out the Y (which is next to my errand today) and see what their pool is like and if they sell just a pool pass.) The advantage to this pool over all the others is that it is in the basement of a shopping mall. In the winter when I'm done my swim, I don't have to make sure my hair is completely dry before heading off, I could just get it part ready and and then do shopping before heading home.

If I can line up yoga and swimming, I'll be adding to my exercise options and hopefully be able to kick-up to a higher level my return to health.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:22 pm

Has been a rough week for me. Today I am so achy I feel like I can hardly walk, and I slept in until 11 today, after being up around six to say goodbye to our friends when they left.

No walks yesterday for me/ddogs - it was raining when I started to walk them in the morning, then I was super busy yesterday into last night, finally collapsing into bed at 11 when dinner guests left and we wound down a bit.

I thought dh wanted to go to the Y today, and I'm not sure I'm up to it. But he said his back and feet hurt (they did a day trip yesterday while I was cooking, he drove 5 hours and they did a lot of walking) so I'm hoping he'll wait until tomorrow.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Return to “Healthy Habits”