FelineFriend

Re: Health and Fitness, August 2014

Postby FelineFriend » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:00 am

Ate healthy all day.
Did 15 minutes standing yoga stretches
10 minutes walking
15 minutes marching
2 LOL and puttering for activity today.
Am hydrated, so don't know what the a.m. shakiness is all about, except my anti-anxiety pill is due in the morning. :? :?: :idea:
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:02 am

I am so enjoying reading your experiences and successes.

Harriet - my weight trend is a mathematically formula that came from Hacker's Diet. The trend evens out the daily high/lows but it can take days for the data to turn the trend from upward to downward direction (and vise versa).

Scales are down another .8 lbs today with the trend showing .6 weight loss for the week.

Total calories yesterday was 1337. Eating out is always a challenge for me. I ordered the salad special at Cracker Barrel thinking it was a good choice but didn't look at the calories until after I ate it. I was disappointed when I saw it was 730 calories. That forced my evening meal to be under 300 calories. Doable but not something I want to repeat. Today we will be eating out again (McAlister's). I appreciate being able to do advance planning from menu options.

Treadmill increase today was .5 on the incline. I find myself wanting to increase multiple things at a time but am restraining myself. It feels so easy and that is feeling that I want to keep. I know I can easily overwhelm myself
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:25 pm

I'm on track with eating, but not timed walking. However, I'm getting up and running around or marching in place, while I putter during commercials.

I found out I'm up-to-date on my vaccines, will get a flu shot mid-Sept. at my annual exam, IF the flu vaccines have arrived by then. If not, we'll take another trip to town. It's about 20 miles away, but maybe we can think up some other stops or errands to do the same day in that city. :idea:

I had terrible IBS this a.m., but my prescribed medication helped so much. I cried, I was so miserable, on my bed with my teddy bear. My kitty cat came to me, laid down, got onto her back, showing her cute belly, then turned back and forth, making me laugh. :lol: I scratched and talked about my troubles to her, then DH came in to see what was "up" with the 2 of us. :lol:

I'm calm, watching TV baseball sports talk shows right now. DH is running errands, I'm feeling a *LOT* better, since my good cry. They say that a good cry is soothing to the soul and then you feel better. It's true. I'm glad I ate a healthy breakfast and lunch. :mrgreen:

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:09 am

((((FF)))) glad that good cry helped. Sometimes I find that is the best medicine for me too.

Weight was down another .5 lb today. Last Wednesday I was 2.5 lbs heavier. BMI rating dropped from Obese to "merely" overweight.

B: Protein/fruit smoothie
L: Chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes w/gravy, black eyed peas and green salad.
D: Pork Loin, freshly baked sourdough bread covered in butter.

Treadmill itty=bitty increase today was bumping my top speed to 3.1 Yup, I'm slow but I'll eventually get there.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:41 pm

My eating's on track today.

I walked 30 minutes on our cell phone, when DD called me from a break at work. She'd been sitting in her car, at work, and fell asleep, it's in the 80's and she woke up HOT! :!: She went into the building and talked from the hall, where it had an echo. I thought it was funny! :lol: I told her she sounded like she was in the bathroom.

I rested for awhile, am tired and sleepy today. I hope the walk wakes me up. I'll drink some iced tea, too.

I've been drinking 2 scoops of International Coffee every morning, but 2 scoops = 120 calories. :roll: :o :oops: Those are unnecessary extra calories, so am thinking about making it 1 scoop now, instead. :idea: I can't have Folgers because of the acidity making my Gastritis worst and it causes IBS, too. :oops: :( It also makes me shaky! :!: :roll: I have an anxiety disorder, so that type of coffee might wake me UP, but it makes me so nervous. With International Coffee, it's relaxing, it might not wake me as much, but I'm not nervous or shaky.

DH cleaned 2 toilets. I might set my timer to putter on and off this afternoon, to get in some movement exercise while I tidy the house. It looks clean, but I could be cleaning with disinfecting wipes, etc... :idea: I think it's good that we move while we do housework because we also burn calories AND get a tidier home. :mrgreen:

I went to Pharrell Williams' Happy 24-hour website, to listen to his Happy song, so I watched his video and danced for 5 minutes and clapped, too. This site plays videos with the happy song 24 hours a day. I learned from FlyLady. She's starting a Happy Emails List. I think I'll also do some marching and more dancing, when I listen to his Happy song some more. I think it's a happy way to move with good rhythm and lyrics. It is good to move and be happy at the same time. :P

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:04 pm

Total workout today, 50 minutes, although I may do some floorwork later. I want to work out at least this long tomorrow and then that may be the last workout until I take August-end measurements. Finishing my 4th pint of water for the day now. A hot one out there - we are firmly back in the 90s again.

I've had fruit, a scrambled egg, pork sandwich with lots of veggies. I plan on making the spiraled zucchini again for supper, this time with the Alfredo sauce.
editing later - I didn't get the tomato diced in advance, and forgot it - really like it better with that, and so pretty. Parmesan was a nice touch. I actually think I like the pesto better than the Alfredo, but the variety is good. Just microwaving does a great job, one zucchini's worth of spiral noodles wrapped in two wet papertowels and microwaved for a minute.

FFriend, I hate to recommend any artificial sweeteners, but perhaps the same flavor of Int Coffee in sugar free might help. You could use half regular, half sugar-free and at least cut the calories. The coffee that seems least anxious-making
editing - meant to say acid-making! I'm not sure about anxiousness. for me is the Nestle Mountain Blend, and I add a packet of Truvia or other stevia sweetener, plus cream.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:17 pm

I'm fascinated that some brands of coffee makes people more jittery/anxious than others. I thought it was the caffeine that caused that and so it shouldn't matter what sort of coffee you had.

There's another reason I should be thankful I don't drink coffee and never developed a taste for it. Since I have such a small amount of self-control, it seems to me that it would be another item I'd abuse. So, yay! for not liking coffee or alcohol (or sushi, or cream sauces, or dressings on salad.) I shall be thankful for small mercies.

It occurs to me that before visiting NC the first time, I thought I didn't like onion rings but I had made a promise to myself that I'd try new things. That didn't work out well. On that trip I learned I love onions rings and pecan pie. (But bbq still was not to my taste.)

Tea has never made me jittery. The caffeine in it does but if I steep it less or use decaf, that effect goes away. And I think I read somewhere that the body doesn't react to the caffeine in tea like it does to the caffeine in coffee. I always just assumed it was the other things in tea and the lesser amount of caffeine per ounce compared to coffee that made tea less of a stimulant. I have to be careful not to have it after about 4 p.m. (unless I need to stay up, in which case, it works wonderfully!)

Picked up a "Now Eat This" book at the library so poofing now to go read part of it.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:22 pm

Whoops! No, I didn't mean to use the word anxious! I meant to say acid-y or mention the acid reflux problem with coffee. I think I had been reading another part of FFriend's post and typed the word I'd just read!! So the only thing I can vouch for about the Mountain Blend is that it seems less likely to cause acid reflux for me.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:37 pm

Lets see...
Coffee never bothers me, even if I drink it later in the day, but...I can not drink caffeinated tea after 3pm or it will keep me awake at night. But, I've read articles that say tea releases its caffeine slower than coffee, so it must say in my system longer.

I've been having "plumbing" issues so my weight has been bouncing. Added brand cereal to my morning which is not on my plan, but didn't want to use any artificial means of getting things to work. Yesterday I put a pair of shorts on and they would barely button. I put them on again today, and they are very loose.

I walked the pups a mile yesterday and put 5 miles on my gazelle. I am back to my diet bet weight so hopefully things are good to go....no pun intended :D
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:58 pm

Docs office called while I was outside now I have to wait until they are back from lunch -sigh- trying not to be on pins and needles. (I am surprised that it is back already.)

Did yd. Work all morning so I am counting that for my ex. Today mowed front some pruning and swept driveway pulled some weeds too swept patio as well. That zone needed attn. Moved a dresser while I wIted.

Over all my labs looked good; A1C was down but at 8.5 he would like to see it even lower.

Return to “Healthy Habits”