Health and Fitness, August 2014

Share healthy living habits.
Harmony

Re: Health and Fitness, August 2014

Postby Harmony » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:21 pm

Nancy, I was glad to read your labs were good. What number do they want the A1_ at?

Is there anything worse than going to the doctor, waiting an hour in the waiting room while literally holding one's head up, wanting to lay down on the floor and sleep, and then having to get on the scale in front of someone, knowing it wouldn't be a good number...... NO! The top weight I thought would be easier to get off, is not. This is very bad. Very. Bad.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:52 pm

They just said lower I said I had tighter control on it but the emts had to come twice to revive me after bs crashes so had to let it be higher. I suppose under 8 but I am trying to not be a slave to this bettes.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:00 pm

Also depends on age. Doc's asst called today and mother's was 5.6. Her doc wants it quite a bit higher. At her age, the risk of falls from a low bs is too high.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:17 pm

Yes when mine was 6.5 the doc. Wanted it higher.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:18 pm

Glad you got a call and you and Dr have a good feeling about the number, Nancy. Maybe a bit lower will work. You are an individual. Your good number will be different from someone else's. You are the one who knows how you feel.

You have so much to monitor for folks (and puppies) Twins'. You're doing great. All your good record keeping skills are helping your family now.

Harmony, well you have been sick and that taxes the system and changes things sometimes for the higher weight. I remember having food poisoning, and me, like a trembling puppy, eating hardly at all and do you think I lost any weight? Nope. My body was having none of that. Anyway, all our dr's scales are weighted too high. Really! What matters is your own scale and how you're doing from day to day according to it, because that scale in dr's office might not even be the same one, or may have been through who knows what since the last time it saw you! It is a poor witness!

I'm sitting here on break after 30 mins of Total, having water and heading back for second half. Dd was with me for some and I gave her a form tip for her upper back, but I lost her somewhere, lol.

Finished. So that is it for exercise for August. Time to let the muscles rest. I feel really good about these weeks of 2.5 or nearly 2.5 in formal exercise.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:05 pm

I ate healthy today and walked 30 minutes.
Can't be using my mouse much. Sore wrist and am wearing a wrist brace.

Good Luck to everyone on their Health and Fitness journeys! :D
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:41 am

Nancy... Glad your lab reports were good. I know with my headaches my drs tell me to listen to my body because I know what's best and what helps them. This thinking is one of the reasons I love my dr. When first going to her, she suggested meds I'd tried before... I had terrible mental and physical reactions to them and politely refused..she totally understood. I respond very well to vicodine which is unusual for my type of headaches. At first I was very hesitant to ask for it because of all the hype. She was quick to respond I knew my body and what meds helped and promptly wrote a scrip with a refill. I'm careful how I use it and was saving them for bad times instead of taking them on the onset of my headaches. When she asked me abt the vicodine at my next appointment, she told me to take them as soon as I need them and would refill my script when needed.

What a relief...she is close to me in age and talks of retiring. Good for her, but bad for me... Took me too long to find her.

Harmony... I completely understand how you are feeling abt yourself. However as Hardiet pointed out you haven't been feeling yourself in a while. We want you to get well and feel better... Once that happens you can focus on the other. I have/had a closet full of clothes I accumulated during the time I wasn't feeling well and so under stress. Remember I was doing all that sleep eating and gaining weight.

Once I retired and got rid of the stress, I am off all meds, don't eat in my sleep any more and have been able to loose weight. I never thought of myself as being stressed out, but now realize that's just what I was. Between all your paperwork, running around for your husband, physically helping with your builds AND the normal stuff you do around the house, not to mention dealing with your husbands illnesses, my guess is you're a bit stressed out too like I was. Hugs to you.

Harriet reminded me to check my monthly health records which I haven't done in a while. During the past month and a half I have lost 7 lbs...not including all the bounces ... And 15.5 inches from my body. I am very pleased with that :D
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:05 pm

Harmony Lately, your posts could have been written by me. My best suggestion is that you and I hold hands and step gently onto the path of better health. We can do this together. We both have to get our stinkin thinkin under control because that saps what little energy we do have.

Nothing to report here, just plugging along with my journaling for the month. Will have to pick a new challenge to add for next month. Haven't decided if it is an addition or deletion from my current state of affairs. I need to remove some behaviours and I also have to add some. I'll let you know on Monday which direction I choose.

The orthotic guy that is ds's friend texted me so I am almost ready to get him to make a custom pair for me. I had thought that the cheap, off the shelf ones may be enough but its become obvious these floors are hindering any chance of recovery so I have to neutralize their effect. If custom orthotics will do it, then I'll have to bite the bullet. They are way cheaper than carpets!

Did the ironing in the kitchen. That's where it works best for me logistically in the apartment. I had to remind myself to stand on the mat so at least my foot didn't hurt so bad that I noticed where I was standing.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:30 pm

I walked 1 hour today, was active doing 2 LOL and stripped the bed sheets.

I ate healthy all day. But at dinner, I "tried" eating tomato bisque soup, after not having it for about 3 months, due to the Gastritis Diet. I got a bunch of discomfort, couldn't finish the soup. So I ate a hot dog, 1/2 bun, and that was it for dinner.

So after dinner, I ate a Fiber One bar and ate a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich. I know I did NOT "need" the ice cream, but I was hungry and felt it would be soothing on my tummy, since the acidity in the soup had activated pain and discomfort. The Fiber One bar has fiber and I don't feel "guilty" having 1.

I'll be on the Gastritis Diet until mid-Sept. when I get my annual exam (physical). The insurance doesn't CALL them "physicals" because if they DO, they won't cover them! :!: :o :? At that time, I might get the H. Pylori test done. I now take Generic Zantac twice a day. Dr.'s orders. This first started in June and I'm so tired of it.

For instance, our 44th wedding anniversary is coming up next week. I can't eat Chinese food because it ALWAYS causes me to have Gastritis, burps, etc.. where I feel like I'll upchuck there on the table! :oops: :roll: I thought about The Olive Garden, but can't have salad because of their strong onions. Their foods can be spicy, too. I thought about going Mexican, but if I DO, I'll need to take Bean-O because of re-fried beans. I'm afraid that taco salad would be too spicy. Applebee's has spicy foods, too. I'm wondering if we should just go to a local restaurant to eat a simple soup and sandwich. I'm leaning towards clam chowder and a sandwich now. But of course, DH is NOT on the Gastritis Diet and HE wants to eat HIS food. :roll: :?: :( I want it to be a special day and not spoil it. It's hard to find something to eat in a restaurant that's not spicy or gassy. :arrow: :ugeek:
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:46 am

Bs has been excellent today with plenty of exercise.
Switching Insulin tonight first time on the cheaper 6 hr. One. So I have to check bs in 3 hrs. Told h. To check on me. I am doing it when he is around less worry that way. Smaller amout tha. I normally take and will work into it. My goal for Sept. To log my day time insulin amount I started but had to deal with the wounded chicken and got all side tracked by that. I need an average formthe new Rx. :roll: of the fast acti g kind but I don't really need it but suppose I should know it.
Should know how. Any carbs a day or meal but do not know that either.
I have drawn up my dose for 4 am when I get up to pee and put my bs monitor in the master bathroom so it is closer and handy.

Yd wk and weeding and a walk was my ex. Today.

Return to “Healthy Habits”