Healthy & Fitness - September 2014

Share healthy living habits.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Healthy & Fitness - September 2014

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:39 pm

Gotta get moving tomorrow.

Did drop by the Y today and checked out the change rooms of the pool. The pool itself is pretty pathetic. The change rooms are lovely. Lots of places to dry hair (and hair dryers provided) as well as plug in my straightener. The showers were private and reasonable stream of water. Lots of room to move around and a nice area with a couch at the entry.

Membership is $800 for the year and I can put the membership on hold for a month if I'm away. I think that's only calendar months, though.

Dh won't join because he won't get any benefit from the gym portion and I have to buy an upgraded membership so I can do aquafit classes. I can guest him in for $6.50. There is no penalty to cancel, I just pay for the months I was there. The membership is good at all the Y's in the city and there's a big one out by dd. The main one downtown has a HUGE pool but isn't on an easy bus route and I'd have to pay for parking.

It is on the bus route, in a mall (so lots of errands can be run plus it has a Subway for a lunch out after.) I can bike there (20 minutes) and it is a 10 minute drive in rush hour.

I think I'll use part of my allowance and join. At worst, I'll cancel when I don't use it. But I think things like the classes will help me go since I'm both social and competitive. I just have to figure out how to work this into my schedule....

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:42 pm

Had a better day with my meds. & #'s were improved! Yea for that. Got the timing figured out, after a call to the Rx place about it so that helped. It has been a journey.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:43 pm

Had lab work done. Everything's fine, I think, except I have a question for Dr. about the Folate level. He'll answer it for me in a post. I have hyperthyroidism, so he's adjusted my thyroid med. So this is the reason I've been so miserable for several months! :!: :roll: :shock: :evil: I'll have lab work done again in Dec. to "see" if my TSH level's still suppressed or not. I hope the med adjustment will take care of it. NOW I know why I've been irritable, my hair's thinning out and falling out, why my heart beats "funny" or rapid along with hard beats, sweating a lot, losing weight easily, even though I eat a lot or not, and a whole slew of symptoms. :roll:

My weight's done, but why does that not surprise me? :|

I'm still awaiting information on the H. Pylori test, too. He didn't let me know that result yet, so it may not be in.

My cholestrol levels and A1C are excellent. My urine sample didn't even have bacteria in it, so that was nice to read.

Well, I'm trying to figure out what to wear tonight. One minute I'm FREEZING to death and then I put on layers, and the next minute I'm WAY TOO HOT! This is absolutely insane! NOW I know why I wake up in the a.m. hours drenched in sweat on my nightgown and sheets! Duh! It's hyperthyroidism. :x
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:00 am

ARGHHHH!!! I blew it.

CHEESE BALLS in the house = bad news for me. They were LO choice for his school snacks. There were left overs. I should have dumped them into the bar ditch while driving home from school.

Cheese balls and potato chips are my worst food enemies.

**sigh**

Getting back up (virtually), dusting my failure off and starting again.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:30 am

LadyM, that's sodium. Sodium just takes 2 days to exit the system. Plenty of water and low-sodium veggies aid the exit. If I could prescribe, maybe cucumbers. Also potatoes as we were discussing last week, although not all the "fixins" for them.

FFriend, happy for you on the good dr's report.

Ramblin' - thoughts - have as much as a pint of water first thing in the a.m. so that it is mostly gone from your system by school time. Have some (a cup?) ready to drink a half-hour before your lunchtime when you'll have a break, maybe, before returning to class? Plan to drink a pint during the half-hour before children's dismissal, and stop by the restroom before you leave.

Kathryn, the thing that stuck out to me about biking there is that after you have been in the pool, would it be good to go out into the weather and bike, hair dryer or not? Maybe not a problem, but I would be thinking I still had a damp head. Do you ever wear a swim cap?

Kathryn, late menopause (and you're not late yet - normal ranges from 39 to 59) is a predictor of less likelihood of heart disease.

Nancy, that's sounding a lot better for you. Yes, really a journey lately.

Kathryn,

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:48 am

Lady M, yes, I share that. Salty even more than sweet (and I have an incredible sweet tooth!!!)

When I ran out of baked cheetos in the 100 cal packages I didn't replace them and am surviving pretty well without them. Yesterday I finished off the chips from Sunday's pot luck but that was just 200 calories. Not a good choice but better than a whole bag. When I entertain, I buy baked lays and cheetos so if I do have a breakdown, eating a whole bag doesn't cause as much damage as it would if they were full fat ones.

I'm up.

Nothing to report. But I'm awake.

Had a second piece of chocolate (I used to have 2 which equals 2/3 oz but I switched to one a few weeks ago since I could manage that without feeling deprived and it cut 50 calories from my morning.) Not sure why today, if I'm planning on skipping breakfast, I'll have the second piece but I'm not planning on skipping breakfast today.

Dd is coming. I'm discussing the gym membership with her because she's been looking for a pool. We might be able to figure out a time to swim together each week and the pool at her end of town (but still 20 minutes drive from her) is huge. On the other hand, there is a much closer athletic club that has an amazing pool. If there is no traffic, another branch of that club would be 10 minutes from me so I think we'll explore that option as well. My local Y's pool is 17 meters and only two lanes. There are two round areas where I could tread water as well but in general it is a very small pool and not well suited to swimming if more than 3 people are in it. Even the closest pool I went to in the summer is nicer from a swimming point of view (but the change rooms are gross.)

I'm stuck on the change room thing. If the pit of my stomach tightens when I picture the change room in my head, then I know I won't go swimming there. That's just the way I am, since, being Canada, I'll spend 2x as long in the change room as in the pool itself due to the time it takes to remove layers, change, shower before entering the pool, and then shower, dry off, dress and fully dry & style hair (that alone is at least 15 minute task.) I'm not shy about showering in front of others but the water flow has to be steady and I need to have access to soap, towel, etc. Most public change rooms I've been in don't offer that. The Y had individual cubicles with hooks for your towel on the outside of the door and real showers that turn on and stay on.

I know the Athletic club will have fancy change rooms since it used to be the fanciest place in town to belong. Dd says it is a bad sign they don't post their membership fees online but most private places don't. They want you to come in and fall in love with the place before they tell you their prices.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:04 am

#82 my a.m. reading backed off one unit on the longer acting insulin. Did not even need the day time one yesterday. Getting it dialed in. I have to wait 30 min. To eat bc of thyriod pill.

Getting the timing pinned down in the longer acting insulin now with a bit of flex in it too yea!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:17 am

Nancy: glad things are settling down. Some of those numbers were scary!

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:21 am

Harriet, Hyperthyroidism is not a good Dr.'s report, but the other things ARE. I'll take my thyroid med as told to by Dr. now, which has changed, and will just wait until Dec. to get blood drawn and lab work done again. In the meantime, am just trying to live with the symptoms. Not "fun". So NOW I know why I had IBS. It's a symptom! :shock:

I read the wonderful article at The Mayo Clinic's site about hyperthyroidism. They suggest eating more protein, exercising for bone, because brittle bones occur from hyperthyroidism and also, the exercise will build muscle lost from it. They also suggest a very healthy diet, too. In the meantime, when I start freezing, I'll put on layers. :lol: And if I get that nervousness or irritability again, I'll keep my MOUTH SHUT. I just never thought these symptoms were my thyroid being out of whack. I thought it was all anxiety disorder and IBS, maybe I was under the weather, etc... Now all the pieces FIT and I'm so glad I know now. The scary things that this can turn into aren't too good either, but I'm not going to go there or fret about what may happen in the future. I'll do my part, and just get to Dec.'s readings.

LadyM, Cheese balls sound absolutely delicious! :o

Nancy, Good luck on your insulin, etc... :)

Oh, KIC, I ♥ sweet & salty bars! :P

Waving to RR. :D
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:57 am

Hi Ff... Waving to ya'll

I am coming off a migraine... Seems the pattern may be changing, which in my non-professional scientific mind is curious to me. Instead of waking up in the middle of the night or early mornings with my headaches the last three including a last night's are starting around 10:00pm.

I have started a migraine diary. I need to start thinking differently about taking my meds if this really is a new pattern. Instead of taking my vicodine first, as I sid last night, I need to take my maxing. I didn't acknowledge this headache as a cluster because of its timing and thus didn't treat it as such until it was too late.

Finally got up at 2 am and took my maxolt. Didn't realize I had the melt on your tounge pill and swallowed it. It started working pretty fast any way. Course I was awake for most of the night b/c I can't sleep when I have a headache. However I did listen to my brainwaves for migraines and I was able to doze for a while. Now I am in my migraine hangover recovery stage so it's gonna be a sloooowww day.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Return to “Healthy Habits”