Healthy & Fitness - September 2014

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Healthy & Fitness - September 2014

Postby Harriet » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:22 pm

Walked by the display of real sugar Pepsis in the healthy foods store today and thought of discussion here - they are the only regular brand soft drink the store carries. These are imported from Mexico and are glass bottled, sold individually, with a very simple Pepsi design. However, twice in the last few months I was able to find the cans of sugar Pepsis for bday parties, so they are being packaged here as well. They were right beside other Pepsi can packages in larger stores. The packaging was bright blue with the cursive Pepsi writing of "Real Sugar", and stores told me they were completely new to them. A few years back there were some Pepsi products with real sugar marketed with the word, "Throwback", which seemed negative to me.

At healthy food store, I picked up several of their deli creations - brussels sprouts salad, vegetable spring rolls. Bought Ezekiel sprouted bread, which often goes to the bad here before we finish the loaf. It is good for us and HRH will eat it if he toasts it, but it is not exactly something we are looking forward to eating. Ramblin' do you buy it? I know Cruise has recommended it before, but may not in his newer books.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:44 pm

Yeah... I have a new playmate :lol: my game started yesterday... LM, you're gonna have so much fun. In some games the players are really active abt cheering others on. Plus you will see how many struggle with the same issues that are mentioned here. It's nice knowing you're not alone.

No Harriet I haven't tried the bread... There are no sprouts near me.

My normal heart rate is very low.. Resting it hovers between 45-49 bpm and sometime cane be lower than that. Scares the dickens out of many nurses and drs that are not familiar with me. If I have a procedure where I am put to sleep my heart rate has been known to plunge to 34-37. I always make everyone aware of this before anything is done. Both my father and son had/have the same thing so it must be a heritiary thing.

I ate on plane yesterday, walked doggies one mile, and put five miles on my gazelle. Scale was the same this morning. Had a headache last night but nipped it in the bud with meds. Had to do the same thing today.

Went to the dermatologist this morning and now I look like spot again. Dr complained abt my extremely dry skin. I only shower twice a week per her instructions and use a wash that contains no soap. Now I'm to use a special lotion at least twice a day more if I can remember. Going to add a daily tbsp of coconut oil to my system as well.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:58 am

Harriet...

Coca-Cola is also making Coke made with real sugar here in the US. At one time it was packaged under Reto-Coke, but it was usually bought up by people who worked at the bottling distributers before it could get to the store shelves. I know this because I tried to buy some a while back and could never find any...then I ran into a guy who worked for Coke and was stocking the coke shelf and I asked him why I couldn't buy any in any store.

Around 1980 Coke changed its formula from cane sugar to corn syrup because it was cheaper to use. In the cane sugar Coke there are almost 10 teaspoons of sugar. One teaspoon of sugar equals 16 calories.

There are other companies that make soda...coke flavor and others as well that are made with cane sugar. You can find them in any grocery store but you have to look for them.

Ads found in papers..

Enjoy a 12 pack of Coca-Cola with real sugar! No corn syrup! This is how coke should taste. Not tart like the Mexican variant which tastes like brown sugar. Sucrose-sweetened made-in-usa coca cola is great!

Canadian Coca Cola made with real sugar. American Coca Cola made with high-fructose corn syrup. Shhhhh... Don't tell Kathryn ;)

Pepsi Throwback: A version of Pepsi-Cola sweetened with sugar instead of High-fructose corn syrup. It also doesn't contain citric acid.

So now ya know..... BTW, every great once in a while I will treat myself to a real-coke if I can find one. Bought a pack of Pepsis Throwback and did the same thing. Loved them not so much for the taste, though they were simply wonderful, but more for the memories that came with each sip....

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:07 am

I walked with my friend tonight.
Only drink diet sodas here.
Time for bed.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:25 am

I used to drink DPepsi for years. I drank a lot every day. 2L or more. Then I went through 4 years of visiting urologist because of a persistent bladder infection. I switched from soda type drinks to tea for several years. About 5 years ago I switched to water. Now when I try to drink a diet or "real" soda they all taste horrible. I'm not sad that I have lost the desire to drink them.

Weight is going down V-E-R-Y slowly. Trend is showing about .1 lbs daily. At least it is headed in the right direction!

I don't understand why I am leery about doing the Dietbet but I liked having a hard timeline to hold myself accountable. I am thinking of it similar to WW weigh in. At least with DietBet I don't have to drive the 50+ miles to stand on WW scales. :) I am looking forward to the challenge....AND the outcome!

RE: Ezekiel sprouted bread, We have eaten it several times. Its' okay but not my favorite. We use SaraLee 45 calories a slice bread most of the time.

Did a little more searching for heart rate information and used it to calculate my Target HR should be 130- 155
Target Heart Rate (HR) -
• Count your pulse for 10 seconds and multiply by 6 to find your beats per minute. You want to stay between 50 percent to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate. This range is your target heart rate.  Per American Heart website-
• If your target heart rate is too high, you’re straining. So slow down. If it’s too low, and the intensity feels “light” or “moderate/brisk,” push yourself to exercise a little harder. During the first few weeks of working out, aim for the lowest part of your target zone (50 percent). Then, gradually build up to the higher part (85 percent). After six months or more, you may be able to exercise comfortably at up to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate. But you don't have to exercise that hard to stay in shape.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:47 am

ML... I like diet bet because you can choose any eating plan to use.

I had a b'day luncheon with gfs yesterday. I ordered clean, but it had some soy sauce with it. Used it sparingly as I was t sure what the effects would be. I am down today, only .2 lbs, but like you LM at least it's in the right direction.

I know this month will be a tough one but I can do this, and so can you LM.

I began drinking diet soda at a very early age due to thyroid problems. Back then it was Tab. I continued to drink diet after that. I love the taste of regular soda but the amount of calories kept me away. I don't think I ever drank mor that 2-3 cans a day. But that was also a problem because, except for a couple of cups of coffee, that was also about the entire amount of daily fluids I drank in a day. It was until I first used a paid diet program that I learned and was educated abt drinking water. That was back in the early 80's.

Norma

Postby Norma » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:30 am

Well, this is new for me because I have never - I repeat - never visited this site. :lol: I wonder why. Too scared to I guess. You guys are amazing. I am overwhelmed by what you have done Rosie. You never mentioned this "undertaking" to me, but WOW. To me you have always been a little thing especially when you stand next to me. :oops: I don't know if I can handle being in your company this winter. :lol:

My dDoc tells me I am now Type 2 Diabetes. My A1C or is it AC1 is now 6.7 and creeping. When we came home from AZ in AZ it was 6.4. He, of course, is not happy. We talked eating programs and he gave me the go-ahead for A tkins. So....... Mr. Guy and I are trying it out - again.

Have any of you had or heard of the Hydrogen Breath Test? I am having it at my GI's office on Wednesday. It takes 3 hours and he is looking for fructose-intolerant, lactose intolerant and bacterial overgrowth. Fructose (all of it) has been non-exsistent since my appt. with him 3 weeks ago. I have always had GI disorders and have really been plagued worse than ever since last winter. I am really anxious to get the results and find out exactly where I stand. If little hitch hikers have overtaken my system he said he would prescribe antibiotics and then probiotics to get everything in order. I will let you know how that all comes out - uhhh - yeah - how it all comes out. ;) :roll:

As I have read what you, Kathryn, and you FF, are experiencing I am wondering if this test would be advisable for you. As I said, let you know.
I go to nature to be soothed and healed , and to have my senses put in order. John Burroughs

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:32 pm

I already know I'm lactose intolerant, Norma. I'll be tested for H. Pylori in another month, if my symptoms don't improve. I have Gastritis and IBS. I may need to go on antibiotics, if I've got H. Pylori. I already take probiotics. My G.I. Doc wouldn't give me a lactose intolerant test, because she didn't want to put me through that. (It was a painful time, right before my hysterectomy.) But my family Dr. had me to the elimination diet to find I was lactose intolerant. I can eat Greek strained yogurt and some cheeses though. Not milk, other cheeses, etc... :roll:

I exercised 33 minutes yesterday and this a.m., my scales said I've lost exactly 2 Lbs. since Sunday. I'm working really hard, am not snacking all night, and it's good, too, because I sleep so much better! :mrgreen:
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:16 pm

Thanks RR for the wonderful compliments!
I need to think about the fall ex. Routine with ex. Bike and gazelle as the days get shorter.

Walked from 7:05 -7:30 only missed 3 min. Of the game did a good clip. Sun was setting when I left and dusk when I got back time to close up the coop.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:30 pm

I walked 30 minutes while on the phone with DD.

I ate a healthy diet without any nighttime snacking after dinner, too. :mrgreen:

Can't have snacks now, until 11 p.m. because of my thyroid pill. It's a great deterrent to not snack, by taking it at night. I take Generic Zantac in the a.m. and eat Greek strained yogurt. This is why I'm not taking my thyroid in the mornings. Too many hours of waiting before I could eat. It's Dr. approved. He suggested when I get up in the night, to use the restroom between 1 - 3 a.m., to take thyroid then. It WAKES ME UP! :roll: :!: :twisted: So nighttime, I kill TWO birds with ONE stone: I get my thyroid taken away from calcium/Zantac AND I DON'T SNACK! :idea: :!: :P It works great for me this way. :mrgreen:
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

Return to “Healthy Habits”