Healthy & Fitness - September 2014

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Healthy & Fitness - September 2014

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:21 pm

Back from a walk #'s up not down. G-r-r.
Rant in j & c thread I will spare you that.
Did another walk this evening.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:13 pm

Harriet - My recent headaches were caused by not eating, suspect low blood sugar, though I'd need a new test kit to verify that.
RR - a weird thing of mine with some headaches is that antihistemine helps. Also heat on back of my neck if it feels like too much blood is pumped into my scull/ exploding head type feeling. That lets the blood out and is pretty well instant. (a nuerologist told me that one.)
Other things that are causal for me are foods that cause muscle tension in my neck. Lots of the salicylates affect me there = esp citrus, stone fruit, grapes, and the non sal - chocolate and cocoa. It took me a lot to give up that last. It is an amine containing food though. Other things that highten amine production is browning food and ciro?vac food.
Once I tasted the yummy pan scraping and wahla - instant headache - so try to keep those levels down too.
Sitting wrong with my neck rick racked looking at laptop is another causal feature.

Sry about my spelling. My LD are rampant lately. And I can't be bothered today figuring the difference between Our Own and US English, and my brain deficiencies.

Trying to remember some lunges each day to stretch out my legs after months of favouring my feet.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:55 am

Lynlee... I like "listening" to you no matter how you talk to us. I find the language differences interesting and always look forward to your posts :D
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:07 am

I too enjoy reading others thoughts, experiences, success and yes, even the failures. I am hopeful that I will learn and use it in my efforts to increase health & fitness.

Many of you have some very serious health challenges and I admire how you seek to deal with them.

I'm allowing other things to distract me and I don't like the results (weigh gain, less energy). I'm not beating myself up because I have learned that I am strong during a stressful time then I tend to relax too much afterwards. I'm in the "relaxing" time after dealing with LO surgery & recovery. Also DD escaping "him" and driving 1/2 way cross the USA with DGD3. I know what to do (healthy habits) and I am looking forward to returning my focus to what works.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:29 am

Eppic failure here! I was so upset and had friend over H came home early I forgot my non meal time insulin afternoon dose. :roll: number was ok I sure was surprised!

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:49 pm

Oh Nancy...can you find an inexpensive watch with a timer on it??? That way you could set it to reminded you of what you need to do. Your routines have changed so that I bet it is hard to remember your new ways. I use my cell phone with its timer for lots of things but I don't know if you have one or even carry it with you every where you go.

LM...I know what you mean. I'm just hanging on to where I've been and after this very difficult week, am happy just to be where I am. I haven't climbed on my Gazelle since Monday. I have been feeling to disoriented to even try. I'm OK with all of it since I realize this is just a tiny bump in the road...

Smile for the day...I couldn't get the picture that goes with this to copy, but you can use your imagination ;)

My doctor says that
since I'n getting older,
I really need to
start exercising.

So I squatted, twisted,
curled and jumped up and
down and sweated for
nearly an hour.

By the time I got my
leotard on I was ready
to sit down and
eat some chocolate. :lol:
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:07 pm

Net is iffy here I am ok getting base line #'s sorting out doseages progress is being made. Lovly weather for a walk. Hens cleaned out a pumpkin so I can put chicken feed in it.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:51 pm

On treadmill tonight.

I'm loving Drop Dead Healthy

http://ajjacobs.com/books/drop-dead-healthy/

Of all the self-help books I've been going through this summer, this was the best because he gives his honest review of each thing he's done to improve his health, it is a 2 year project so we find out what works long-term and what can't be kept up, he researches fairly well, and he's really, really funny.

He started using a treadmill desk part way through the project and really focused on moving more all the time. He lives in NYC so some of the movements are easy to make (but now that I live in the city, I could do the same) but others, like being on the treadmill whenever he had small tasks that didn't involve concentration, like brushing teeth, appeal to me.

I just posted two ads to sell the antenna tower and antenna. Rather than stand or sit while I did it, I was walking as well.

The treadmill is really creaking, much more than before the move (and you may recall we had it moved professionally and tuned up at the same time - so much for spending more money to make sure the treadmill was quieter in the new place - it is actually noisier.)

On the other hand, I'll have walked a mile by the time I stop typing this. Pushing me over 10K steps again today. Yay!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:38 pm

Forget again this afternoon's dose sigh, luckily it was covered by lunch dose I miss calculated :roll: tried to on set the bs monitor wout success but when I walked with my friend she suggested my phone for a reminder. Also I can use the school bus going by at that time during the week.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:24 pm

Posts from this morning that were deleted (but still were cached on my computer.)

From Kathryn

Weighed in this morning (after a great day yesterday - lots of movement, too much sugar but well within the calories allotted me for the day) and was pleasantly surprised at a slight loss.

The next three days will be a challenge. I wasn't expecting to have to empty the house so quickly. With the only rental truck available Monday, I have 2 days to get the remainder of the house contents packed up. Or at least the large items that require a truck (although it would be best to do as much in one load instead of the 40 mile round trip over and over again.)

I'm noticing stress eating slipping in (plus I have dd's party this afternoon.) There is no food at the house and no places to get healthy food in the village or even the next village over so I have to plan my meals and snacks carefully.

I notice is that I want to eat all the time I'm out there, perhaps trying to fill my emotional self to off-set the empty and echoing house. On a conscious level, I'm not sad about leaving the house and its memories, probably because the apartment feels like home and the kids are living in town so I see them lots. On a subconscious level, who knows what is going on. I'll be glad when this is all over (October 9.)

From Twins Mom

I've been eating out of control this week from stress (getting the house and food party ready) and then yesterday, having good food left in the house. Dh took probably 2/3 of a cake that was left with us to work yesterday, but there is still good cheese, macaroni & cheese, kugel, brisket and mandel bread here. I was establishing the habit of weighing myself and recording my weight (new scales that register to .2/lb) but failed to write it down on Thursday and failed to weigh at all first thing yesterday.

Now that the holiday entertaining is over, I won't be as distracted.

Yom Kippur is a fast, altho there's lots of food when it's over!

From Kathryn
In the book I'm reading (Drop Dead Healthy) he and his wife tried a 3 day juice fast and ordered all the specialty pre-mixed juices. She lasted 9 hours (including cheating at least once) but quit because she was so angry with the kids because of hunger. Yet she can do the Yom Kippur fast no problem!

Made my healthy lunch and packed extra seltzer for myself to drink at dd's. Will pick up a case of soda water for this week so I don't have to carry the soda stream bottles when out at the house. Also some single serving packages of salty snacks. Then, if I break down, at least it is with healthy stuff. Need to hit a store tonight before bedtime as the easy, healthy snack food here is almost all gone.

Needless to say, I didn't eat well the rest of the day. But I didn't eat extremely badly either. I had bought whole grain pretzels for dd's party so those kept me away from chips. I did have a mini donut but that was the worst thing I ate. And the pizza was thin crust tonight. All my food before the party was super healthy so I'm pleased with how today went although I didn't make it to a store to get more healthy snacks.

Return to “Healthy Habits”