Healthy & Fitness - September 2014

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Healthy & Fitness - September 2014

Postby Harriet » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:38 pm

Well, Kathryn, it's certainly not aging. 2 years is very little in the grand scheme of things. I would say it's the other things you listed, all together. These have been 2 years that were "No fair piling on!"

Like Kathryn, journaling has seldom helped me with healthy habits - well, unless I count chatting with ya'll. :) I remember her ds saying she was blogging here and just didn't know it (or something like that) and that's quite true about all of us.

I do seem to be helped by minimal note-taking, and so I do well with cards/forms/charts in which I only expect a checkmark
√ √ √ √ or a fill-in-the-circles count 0000. Sometimes just the briefest word, like "good" or "poor", or a workout name, or shorthand for a food if I want to note it.

I met all my healthy habits goals today. ( I know this because of my shorthand in my healthy habits page). Right now I'm hole-punching weekly pages that have columns for 7 days each, to go in a 3-ring binder. Wouldn't be surprised if I go back to cards, which I do like and which are easy to save, but this has been a good choice when I'm also recording workouts on calendar sheets that can use the binder as well.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:38 am

Lousy sleep last night. My mp3 had turned itself on through the day (hitting any button starts it) and battery was almost dead when I went to bed but lasted until I fell asleep. I woke up at 3:30 and went to the bathroom. When I went to back to bed, my mind wouldn't shut up and dh's breathing was 'noisy' to me. I tried ear plugs but that felt weird because then I couldn't hear him at all and I was alone with my thoughts, which would not shut up!

After an hour of trying to sleep, I got up, found my phone and downloaded a radio program to it, then went to sleep listening to that. I thought it helped but my sleep analysis shows I was restless for the rest of the night.

At 3:30 I had been sleeping almost solid for 5 hours so was completely awake but physically tired. By 4:30 I could of got up but wasn't sure dh would have slept with me up and moving around in the apartment so I went back to bed. Probably a bad call.

MyFitnessPal tells me in general, I'm eating way too little fat, the right amount or too much protein and WAY to many carbs and sugars each day. On the other hand, the pounds are coming off so I'm guessing low cal, low fat, works for me. I always have at least 1300 calories a day, with some days spiking up to 2000 or 1800, but it is working for me. Less food is satisfying me most days. So I'm slowly detoxing my body off the junk (I don't miss my baked cheetos and I seldom miss my soda, I just miss the convenience they offered me.) Because my fat levels are so low, I'm going to be adding more cheese or peanut butter as a snack on days when I'm going to be out. I obviously don't need to be 'afraid' of overindulging in these.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:10 am

Diet bet progress - I've lost 68% of my goal. I have 17 days to lose 2.5 lbs. According to my trend data, I'm not going to make the dietbet goal date. The trend data shows that I will reach that goal weight 6 days later. I'm okay with that because it is the weight loss I'm after. Winning the Dietbet is to motivate me - not make me feel bad. I thrilled that I am eating regular food and finally consistently losing weight (even though it is VERY slowly). THIS is my goal.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:22 am

In the night at 2: 00 bs was #351 so I took a corrective dose less than I normally would bc it was night and I had been running low. I call that the "pizza correction".
Bs was perfect at #106 this morning.

I was only going to track # & food for a mo. But it is taking longer than I anticipated to do the daytime tweaks with this new meds. Regime.

I over did yesterday I am stiff and sore has me rethinking hauling off branches.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:13 am

Well my weight is holding... No surprise here cause I ate three cookies yesterday. It's been over two months since I've had cookies so I'm not feeling bad about it.

Way to go LM ... Glad to hear your success is going slow and steady. I went to the library yesterday and realized I'm not reading as often as I have in the past.. That's because I'm using my gazelle during the times I would have been reading. Wish I could do both at the same time but I'm not that coordinated lol

I have been reading Chris Powell's fb. He's the guy who does the Extreme weight loss tv program. People across the country send him before and after pictures after he has inspired them to "transform" their lives. All I can say is "wow". It quite amazing what some people are doing. One guy has lost over 700 lbs :shock: All is done with exercise and the high-low carb cycling program Chris uses on his show. I like reading his fb page every morning to get inspired. There are plenty of people like myself who post who have lost 25-50 lbs.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:27 pm

Ramblin, would audio books work for you on the gazelle? I can read on all three machines but none is easy. Reading off a computer screen is easiest with the treadmill, I'm bouncy around too much to find reading a page easy. Reading a page is easiest on the bike but can be done on the ski machine since I have a book holder for that so only have to stop my arm motion when turning the page. But again, my motion makes it hard to focus on a page.

I'm really regretting the brownie I had about an hour ago. Yay! (One poor choice shows me that it was too much fat and sugar and the taste wasn't worth the discomfort. Just the fact that it made me feel awful instead of happy is a big improvement.)

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:20 pm

Good job on knowing what to do at 2 in the a.m., Nancy. So sorry you are still having to tweak all this, though.

LadyM, 17 days is a good while. Who knows. I've seen you work menu/diet magic before and have marvelous losses. :) As you approach the home plate (smile) consider having a final day of your challenge in which you plan a menu that is low in sodium, just so you are not having to count water-retention ounces. Congrats on your slow and steady success, though, which is the important thing.

I had a chile relleno yesterday at lunch and then some tummy pain last night. :( I hope that signals nothing. I really like that dish, it has not hurt me before, and I would like to be able to keep it in my meals every once in a while. My first two bites were fine, although I noticed the pepper was certainly not overcooked but closer to crisp. Then the third bite was a humdinger - probably some seeds.

Finally lost a nail today, after weeks of perfect strong nails, all with a minimum of 1/4-inch length. They were almost getting to the point of being in the way. LOL. So I've been doing something right in some area of nutrition. Time to clip.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:40 pm

Bs is up bc sneezing coughing a bit and ear draining ugh. Store run done. Taking a break from heavy yd. Wk. Today.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:34 pm

For the 4th day in a row I am EXACTLY the same weight. I wondered if the new scales was broke so I stepped onto our old scales. They are .4 lbs lighter but I'm not sure if that is just the difference between the two scales or what. I rarely go two days in a row without bouncing up or down. Weird, weird, weird. I guess I will just be happy the scales are NOT going up.

Sleep is starting to improve. The past 6 nights I have been up multiple times every night with LO (giving pain meds, putting ointment on him and massaging his knees (growing pains?)). This morning I opened my eyes and instantly tried to think why I was awake and what I needed to do. It was a sweet moment when I realized LO wasn't in distress and I just woke up without any reason and was done sleeping.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:35 pm

Well, I haven't stepped on the scales since Friday...at a couple of cookies and a few bits and pieces of the mini peach pies I made....don't expect it to effect much, but I'm not taking any chances lol. I hate seeing bounces or staying even just like LM, so I'll climb back on tomorrow.

I have a "treasure" closet where I keep my good pant suits and few dresses and skirts that I didn't want to let go off...been close to 8-10 years since I could wear most of them. Encluded are sever jean dresses. I got brave and tried them on today and much to my delight they fit...I am happy about that for two reasons. First it means I am close to my goal that I set for myself back in April and the other is I won't have to buy anything for this coming fall and winter. That also means I won't have to worry about what to where while subbing.

Everything is in style...that's so weired to me. My skirts are straight and mid-calf and so are my jean dresses. Usually I wear my tall boots with them, but it is too hot here to do that yet. I haven't pulled out my fall/winter shoes yet. I know I have several pairs of low cut boots..they are my favorite to work in...but its too hot to even wear them yet.

I own two leather jackets...one blazer type and the other is my motercycle jacket. Tried both of them on and they fit as well. However my really warm winter jacket that I love dearly is swimming on me....it can't be altered cause its down, but I don't think I care, I'm just going to wear it anyway.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Return to “Healthy Habits”