Healthy & Fitness - October 2014

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Healthy & Fitness - October 2014

Postby Nancy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:32 pm

My low tech walking stick worked fine today on my walk.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:43 pm

RR: About heights - I was challenged on the hike with Lady M last year! Forty feet would definitely make me stop and think. Walking sticks help me a lot so you might recommend that in the future.

I've been off program and not weighing myself either. Probably a very bad combination, especially since I'm off on a trip now. Will do my best to eat carefully and even track.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:00 pm

Kathryn, I also had not weighed myself from last Thursday a.m. (when I was leaving early on trip to take dmom to see dsis) until I weighed and recorded weight on Sunday. So now I have a streak of three going again.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:46 pm

I wanted to "review" the more pure stevia packets I am trying - KAL brand, purchased at EarthFare grocery. I like it fine - very pleased. Each packet delivers plenty of sweetness. For my taste, I think 1/2 packet substitutes for 1 packet of other sweeteners. (For instance 1/2 packet in my oatmeal, or my cup of coffee.) It's softly powdery - resembles dry creamer products.

For this brand, each packet has 186 mg of stevia and a little (25 mg) of powdered monk-fruit juice concentrate. So I'm very pleased with the natural ingredients. It has 1 gram of carbs per packet (sugar packets have 6). And I'm using just half that, only getting 1/2 gram of carbs, and I think that pretty much equals the sweetness we expect from packets. So, one-twelfth the carbs of using sugar, for me. Good deal.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:08 pm

My arm was aching before and during the rains we had today.
I did my walk that was plesant the sun came out.
Took my umbrella with me.

Norma

Postby Norma » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:10 pm

NO Rosie! I won't be asking you if I can come "play" with you! :lol: I am afraid I wouldn't make the first block. :lol:

Today was my appt. with my GI doctor after all my tests were completed. I had already read my Portal so I knew the results. The fecal test showed that I have very bad digestion and need to take the pills with each meal. The only bad part is that I have to do a "Stool Fat Quantitative 24 hr." test. OH JOY! He knew I would hate that. This will show him whether I need 2 pills or just 1 with each meal. This, to me, is a no-brainer. I will take one a meal and if that doesn't do the job I will take 2! (NO, I will abide by his rules.) :roll: :lol:

My really great news is that I have lost 6 lbs. in the last month since I saw him. That and my probiotics are doing well for me. I am just staying away from the sugar, but I know I need to do more than that.
I go to nature to be soothed and healed , and to have my senses put in order. John Burroughs

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:40 am

Norma - you are doing awesome! Glad your are getting some answers. Love your sense of humor. :lol:

RR - I would love to come "Play" with you. Hiking regularly is on my "want to do" list. I have a place & time (Kathryn did it with me) but I just need to clear my schedule on Saturday mornings and DO IT!

Harriet - thank you for that review!

Nancy - hope your arm feels better soon. (((Hugs)))

My recent healthy habit actions -
** i've been daily tracking weight, treadmill, sleep, meals, water and vitamins. Those are starting to become a do-able. Easy as long as I keep focus upon them. My hourly reward is quick & simple but very effective for me. I get to pump my fist into the air and declare "I GOT THIS". As crazy as that sounds, that reward works for me. Those times when I don't get to do that simple little gesture results in a disappointment and renewed effort to be able to do it during the next hour.
** I'm working on developing a weekly meal plan that incorporates food on hand, nutrition value of the individual dishes and entire meal, cost, ease of prep/serving. I'm comparing the various meals we eat regularly to each other which results in me noticing the meals that are better.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:08 pm

Y'all are going to think I'm crazy, but what else is new...

My new goal for Feb. 7, 2015 AZ Spartan Race... its a done deal, already sign up for this. And NO I will NOT be competing with Kathryn's son ... he does the Spartan Beast like my son.

This is a five mile event with 15-20 obstacles. I am joining in with a group to do this race. I may be the oldest in the group, but I am determined I will NOT be the weakest link in our chain :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYPRMfj5X9U
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Norma

Postby Norma » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:19 pm

I forgot to say when I posted this a.m. that what I have (officially) is Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency. (EPI) Interesting that all along I thought I had Colitis, which was what I was diagnosed with some years back. Now I am so glad that he finally found what it really is. I will be taking Creon. (Lipase)

Rosie, can Mr. Guy and I come cheer you on? Is it where we can ride along in the car and watch you? :lol: Hey, seriously, I think it is great that you are doing this. I know you have things on your Bucket List you wanted to do when you retired.
I go to nature to be soothed and healed , and to have my senses put in order. John Burroughs

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:16 pm

I had a walk today.

Return to “Healthy Habits”