Healthy & Fitness - October 2014

Share healthy living habits.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Healthy & Fitness - October 2014

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:07 am

As homemakers, when we take care of ourselves, we increase the strength, stamina, resistance and optimism we have to enjoy life and to be nurturing to others, whether in our homes, extended families or community.

Welcome to our October thread about benefiting health and fitness! We are challenging ourselves to greater well-being and encouraging well-being in our family members. Each of us is learning - recognizing needs and finding personal balance.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Healthy & Fitness - October 2014

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:10 am

September was very good for me. Hopefully October will be better.

I have my new gym to explore or at least swim at.

I have MyFitnessPal to keep me accountable.

I have joined the Ottawa Fitbit Facebook group so have people to chat with there.

There will be less biking (I haven't been in almost 2 weeks due to 1) bad weather and 2) moving) but I hope to get out some.

I didn't get on the scale today but will tomorrow for sure.

Gotta run - no water at 9 so I need to get s2s for the day and fill some buckets for the toilets and hand washing.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:56 am

I liked Kathryn's summary in the Sept thread - please share (again) the name of the book on not looking so old!

Last month I bought a better scale that reads .2/lbs and am working on the habit of weighing in the a.m. and recording it. I am up .6 of a lb since I started tracking on Oct 18 and have missed two days since then - the day before (which I weighed, I think, but forgot to record, and then Rosh Hashanah a.m. when I was up early and on the go.)

I haven't entered the weekly stats for my Fitbit since early in the summer, but I did have a good week w my steps last week, aided by all the holiday prep and cooking.

Now that most the holiday food has been consumed at home I hope to focus on eating better. We will fast from dinner on Friday evening until close to dinner time on Sat evening (about 5:30 or 6 p.m.) and I typically overeat at the break the fast, so I'll focus on not doing that and not making myself miserable, although I will indulge in some of the kugel, lox and bagels and desserts....very carb heavy.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:58 am

Sigh h talked me into tracking stuff again this mo on the new long term insulin writing down carbs meds & bs. Started a new note book today. So staying track is my on going focus.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:44 pm

All the assessment posts are great. Nice to know how a friend is feeling while on their health journey, what the obstacles still may be, what the plan holds. Thanks everyone.

Ramblin' that was a kind wish from you in your last post.

Twins' Mom, wishing you a meaningful fast for Yom Kippur.

Nancy, your dh does have a point about tracking - maybe having a new notebook for it will keep it from seeming such a chore.

I did take the opportunity to go ahead and do one-month record-keeping this morning. Weight change is insignificant. The story is a general, steady shape-up. Abs measurement has had the most change over time, yay.

My steady quarter-inch per-month losses at torso points continue, except for ribcage, which stayed the same. Above bust, for some reason, one-half inch loss. Probably there was a near-quarter-inch loss last time, when I recorded that it stayed the same. My upper thighs surprised with quarter-inch losses for the first time, so I guess up until now the muscle gain was counteracting any fat loss there. And my lower thighs evened out for the first time in 3 months. If there is disappointment, it is arms where measurements aren't changing, but I'm believing they look better in the mirror, so perhaps it's that muscle/fat exchange thing.

Plans for October are continuing consistency!

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:58 pm

Well, much to my surprise and delight I won my diet bet. Didn't think it would happen and really wasn't going to worry about it. When I got up and weighed this morning, the scale read I was smack dab, on the nose of where I needed to be. I had to step off and back on the scale to make sure I was reading it right.

And, because I didn't think I was going to win, I didn't check the sight to see what "word" I needed to use to submit my weight. This time the word was "Rutabaga". I copied the word on a yellow index card, laid it on the floor next to the scale and crossed my fingers when I got back on the scale to take a "submit" photo of the word, my weight on the scale, and my toes. Bingo it worked.

Then when I went to enter my weight on the sight I put the wrong weight in and submitted it before I realied what I had done...DRATS The sight wouldn't let me go back and resubmit then posted a comment of ...sorry you didn't meet your goal, better luck next time. I quickly sent an email starting with Good morning...well may be for you, but not for me...stating what I had done, claiming it was because I hadn't had my coffee yet so could they please fix my error so I could drink some...I signed it Hurry, and thanks.

Wasn't long before a gal sent me back an email saying my note had made her giggle so much she in fact had spilled her coffee while reading mine. Anyway, she fixed it so I could correctly submit my weight and picture. It has been verified and I now have the official word that I have won.

Harriet...I wanted to let you know I tried something different with my Skinny Muffin. Did this AFTER I was sure I wouldn't have to re-weigh this morning. I decided to add a Tbsp of natural peanut butter...wasn't sure how it would effect the way the muffin cooked or how it would taste. It was delish...I've added chopped nuts before, but this was sooooo much better. Think I'll be making my muffin this way from now on.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:21 pm

Went swimming tonight. Didn't drown. Wasn't too unsteady when I got out of the pool (in the summer I could barely walk after swimming but then felt way better the following day.)

So, more progress. I hope to go for an aquafit class on Friday (need to look and see if there is one.)

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:57 pm

Congratulations, Ramblin'. Wow, you were lucky that scale didn't go wonky and change its mind five times after the first reading. Were you breathing? :) A happy word to "win" on, rutabaga. Peanut butter would be an interesting taste.

That is good progress, Kathryn.

When did I stop noting my exercise here... ...hmmm... It would be good for me to get back to that.

Today I did a floor workout.

Measurement thoughts - if I keep up my workouts at this sensible no-burn-out level of 2.5 hours a week, and manage similar inch loss, I will have lost another inch at abdomen by Christmas. That's probably not how I should think, getting my hopes up, since you never know where the inches will come off, but too nice not to consider.

Eating thoughts - loving my beans/slaw/greens meals for home lunches lately. Simple, cheap, adds to the veggie count if my breakfast had protein and good fats. I usually have water, but I've been thinking it might be wise to have some milk.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:04 am

RR - YOU DID IT! Congrat's on that difficult challenge!

Kathryn - I'm so happy for you and your swimming addition and options. Enjoy the moments and the results. :)

Harriet - LOVE your measurement and eating thoughts. Nodding in agreement.

Nancy - I hope the tracking pays big benefits for you!

I am back to putting focus on basic healthy habits. This week focus is drinking water. I felt fairly confident that I had this habit down pat until I started tracking. OOOPS! I'm not doing as good as I thought. For me, it is easy to not realize habits are slipping without actually tracking and seeing the results instead of what I "think" I'm doing.

After the scales taking a huge leap during this past week they are headed back down.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:42 am

Forgot to weigh myself before tea and chocolate.

I have been sleeping poorly these past 3 - 4 nights after a week of glorious sleep (and waking up at 6, jumping out of bed.) I've been waking up 6, still, but unable to fall back asleep and feeling totally exhausted at the start of the day. My sleep pattern from my fitbit is horrible.

Today I was able to fall back asleep, multiple times, after 6 and didn't get out of bed until 8:30.

I'm moving very slowly.

Thinking back, I've been allowing more sugar into my diet this past week that I've been having trouble sleeping. If that is the change, it is a downward spiral situation - the more tired I am, the more sugar I allow myself in the day to get through waking hours, the worse my sleep will be.

I wonder if I can cut back the sugars a bit and see if that makes a difference (not sure of my will power right now and have been putting all my effort into movement and flexibility since the weight was on a nice downward slope.)

Return to “Healthy Habits”