Healthy & Fitness - November 2014

Share healthy living habits.
LadyMaverick

Re: Healthy & Fitness - November 2014

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:25 am

I'm not doing my normal H&F activities and tracking for a few days. However, I am doing extra that I normally don't do. I was pleased to discover that I am physically able to
** pick up and carry 40lb DGD3 up the stairs.
** while holding 40lb DGD3 I can squat down and then get back up
** Moving box after box of stuff.....pack/carry to vehicle/load/unload/carry into BH. I'm trying to do one vehicle load a day. I said I wasn't going to move this week, but this gives me a break while being productive. DH watches the kids while I do this, so it has turned into a weird sort of "break" for me. It takes me right at an hour to do one load/unload/put away

Those are not things that I "train" for but I know the daily core stretches and exercises that I have been doing are what made it possible. I am doing things out of my normal and am not having any back pain or sore muscles. When a car wreck did multiple fractures in my back a few years ago I thought my "old years" would be limited. I am pleased beyond words to prove to myself that the exercises are working.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:12 pm

Rain walk today after toddlerN left today was my exercise.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:46 pm

What core exercises are you doing, LadyM?

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:56 am

I walked 30 minutes today, have been doing LOL and cleaning, for exercise, and was under 175 Lbs. today, which is GR8, leading into Thanksgiving! My pedometer steps are over 8,000, so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get to 10,000 by bedtime. :mrgreen:
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:19 am

Core Exercises. I did learn several exercises from Spark*People website but also watched some youtube videos for instructions how to do them properly. I am slowly adding exercises and reps over several weeks. I keep a check-list of basic exercises I do daily that only take about 9 minutes. It's is the first thing I do in the morning as soon as I wake up. I do all but the squats in bed then I do the squats when I get up.
Single Leg Lifts
Double Leg lifts
Abs stretch
Banana
Bridge/Booty Squeeze
Squats

I'm discovering that squats are addictive! I find myself doing them at odd times through out the day. When I first started I couldn't do one squat without assistance. I needed to stand next to something so I could pull myself back up. But my muscles are slowing getting stronger.

I am the queen of slow and steady....... consistency with itty bitty teeny tiny increases.
1. Know what you want.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:25 pm

I've seen photos where people do deep lunges as they vacuum, too!

I had a binge last night, I think it was from thinking about all I want/need to get done prior to Thanksgiving company's arrival at 1 p.m. tomorrow. It's silly, too, I know, because I have all day! DH is here to help! But I blew it last night, my weight was up, but I ate salty things, too.

I'm not going to be overly "picky" or hard on myself, on Thanksgiving, but will try to get back on track the day after Thanksgiving. I'm planning to walk, before company arrives for our dinner, too, and will walk on Friday, too. The pedometer is so motivating for me, too! The busier I am, the more steps I get and the better my mood is, because of endorphins and the better I sleep at night, waking well-rested. It's a win-win situation all the way around!

Big WTG on those core exercises, LadyM!
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:52 pm

I walked today a med. Walk working out some kinks. Finished up w some ex bike time.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:26 pm

Just lost a post absentmindedly....was running a "cleaner" and had to close browser.

Ddogs and I had good walks - took Moe up the hill and back down to the far end of our development, a good hill to climb coming back. DMacs got a walk around the circle. I went from 2900 steps to 7K, will need get on the treadmill for awhile if I plan to get to 10K today.

Yesterday only hit 8000. I was out with dmom all afternoon, then dh suggested an early dinner out. THen I had to stop a vet to p/u meds, and finally got home and walked ddogs. I was just too disheartened to do anything but sit down.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:18 am

BWTG!

My weight is bouncing up/down the same 5 lbs or so. I'm at the bottom of that weight bounce and would like to see it continue downward instead of bouncing back up.

For some unknown reason, I'm bored with tracking calories so I'm going to switch it up. After the move, I want to start tracking carbs each day. I am not going low carb because I know from previous experience I can't maintain that, but I am going to try lowER carb. I'm not sure what reasonable goal would be. MFP has my daily carb goal to be 150 carbs. I want to experiment with 100 or 75 carbs a day and see how my body responses.

Last night I made 3 serving trays of cookies and didn't eat a single one. I gave a cookie to DGD3 and she came back for more so I assume they taste okay. :)

Three trays of hot rolls are rising. After they are finished baking I will eat one of them - or part of one. When I went to mix the roll dough, I realized I have already moved my recipe books and cards. So I used a used a recipe from Pioneer woman. I am curious about the amount of salt the recipe called for (2 T). I suspect they will be salty even though I didn't add the full amount called for. There is nothing I can do about it now if they are too salty, but my curiosity wants to know anyway. THAT'S my story and I'm sticking with it.....even though the rolls are carb heavy.
1. Know what you want.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:24 pm

Wtg gals! LM great restraint on the cookies.
I have done the total gym and raked leaves for my ex today.

Return to “Healthy Habits”