Healthy & Fitness - November 2014

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Healthy & Fitness - November 2014

Postby Nancy » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:41 pm

I just hit the wrong button did not mean to flag anyones post. :oops:

Walking and raking part of the front yd was my ex today.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:50 am

That's a bummer Kathryn ;-(

Before I was diagnosed with my sleeping disorder I was sent to an orthopedic dr. because my joints ached so badly... Especially in my elbows, wrists and hands. He was the one who ordered my sleeping disorder test saying that a sleeping disorder can contribute to aching joints... To be honest I thought he was nuts, but it turned out he was right about my sleeping problems.

Once my sleeping disorder was addressed the pain in my joints eased up.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:54 am

Yesterday eating and moving was not helpful in H&F effort. It wasn't a total disaster healthy wise, but because I choose to keep my focus on the little Grandkids it was mostly out of my control what, when and where we ate. While I was busy with little ones, DH ordered lunch for me. I asked him to keep it high protein so he bought me a sandwich with meat & cheese. :roll: I tried to take the bread off but it was "glued" on with sauces & melted cheese. I choose to be thankful for what I had and just eat it and move on. Later in the day I did hear them ordering pizza and asked to have a big salad ordered too. So I did eat a healthy salad......before joining them in pizza.

I don't normally cook on Sunday so today will be another day of eating out. However, these meal(s) are in known places that I have developed a plan for. I know what to order that fits my meal goal.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:23 am

LadyM...
You did the best you could and that's what is important. I am learning to eat out as well. Knowing what's on the menu ahead of time is a big help for me. I hate when I order a sandwich and its glued together like yours was...now when I am somewhere i try to order a chix sandwich or hamburger dry and instead of fries ask for extra lettuce and tomato. Then I take the meat off the bun and have a salad to go with it. I also carry a small bottle of salad dressing.... I get my plastic bottles from the travel section at w mart or some place like that or pick up extra packaged mayo packets at fast food places to use at another time.

Fast food places are easy for me to eat at now because all offer salads. I ask for the lowest calorie salad dressing that they have. And if I'm at a restaurant I always ask for my salad dressing on the side or for a small bit of vinagar wich I sweeten with my sugar. I'm learning, I'm learning :lol:
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:48 pm

I am done raking the back and side yard for some of today's exercise.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:48 pm

Stuff ya'll say that is wise and/or familiar ... ...

"... set aside what I already knew, and that was an error.... ... For me - one excuse leads to lots of excuses. - Lynlee

"When I do good on moving my body, my eating slides.... ...I am still looking for that "groove" where moving body more and eating healthy portions become normal. - Lady M

"Am I a bad person for being relieved so many of you are in the same unacceptable place I'm in? - Kathryn

"I am now focusing more on what causes me to eat "stuff" that I known I shouldn't and the dialog that goes on in my head when I do.... ...I can choose to put it in my mouth or not. I think of Nancy and how mentally strong she must be.... I admire and respect the way she handles her health issues, and that inspires me too." - Cowinkie

We were delighted to see a brand new, very viewer-friendly youtube talk by Dr. Neal Barnard from the first of this month. This is a doctor/author whose writing has been inspiring to HRH, in the use of vegetarian meals to control blood sugar. HRH doesn't attempt an exact vegan (all plant-based) diet but has benefited from vegetarian meal-by-meal eating, or what is called semi-vegetarian (just meat every once in a while), possibly lacto-ovo-vegetarian (including some eggs or milk products sometimes).

Although I am keenly aware that this is NOT for everyone at all, and am knowledgeable enough that I can "hear" the other side to the vegetarian/lowcarb debate in my head as Barnard speaks, I really think he's worth a listen for anyone. (Remember, I'm a person who doesn't just LIKE egg breakfasts, I keep chickens, LOL!) To give you an idea of what a compelling speaker he is, dd16 watched the whole thing without stopping, and re-watched the cell-structure part.

Dr. Neal Barnard, "Healthy Approaches to Weight Control, Reversing Diabetes, and the Best of Health"

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:31 pm

Got back into some jeans this week. They are still a bit snug but at least back in the right direction. Ex still to do.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:11 am

That was a good summary, Harriet.

Oh my, my shopping time in stores with those horrid fluorescent lights and full length mirrors. And the lady with her measuring tape. Yikes! I don't like that I've been this weight before many times, but not this shape. I guess some of what used to be muscle isn't any more.

When I went grocery shopping I had lots of problems. I've been out of much of my go-to food in the house, so of course I was looking for all the "good stuff". I notice that some of the stuff I crave really badly is the exact stuff I was allergic to when I was a girl and was forbidden to eat. I know DMom was doing right by limiting the stuff that made me break out in such horrible rashes...but now I crave all dairy, and oats, and tomatoes, and chocolate, all things I was allergic to. And I've always craved sugar.

Anyway, I am still trying to get my walks in and my recent shopping trips yielded many steps. I'm still trying, but I really detest being hungry. And I'm sorry, but celery and water, etc. does not take away that hunger for more than a second. I'm trying to keep my protein up, because carbs without protein will send me into a binge really quick. Just gotta keep trying. And here comes the holiday...

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:45 am

Did the total gym and gazelle while watching news coverage tonight. It is raining outside here now.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:29 am

w/e food report - I bombed twice.
1/2 a choc GF muffin - yep - it still causes neck tension and resultant headaces for some days.
1 piece of slice. probably cherrycoconut w icing.
re breakfast cooking. I attempted 1st breakfast by microwave, but really didn't know that microwave, nor could I see how hot it got as it was up high. I'd added water from the urn, then put a pate on top once I'd tried a token lower setting. It wasn't raw, nut not really cooked. Day 2 - I'd spoken to the chef, and delivered it to him. Described it like cooking rice. It wasn't cooked long enough, and I suspect he'd tossed the 'juice' flavoured with fig and ginger. Lesson for next time - precook it in bulk. Then I can eat it cold, or heat it if I choose.
Activities - yoga - much too hard. I just did my own thing in the back corner to overcome my frustration.
dancing - sort of moved to some music, and talked to other oldies on the side much of the time. comparing joints and feet.
pool - a little movement to try and ease my neck, then later - my first go on water slide. I admit to sliding with the break on.

re sleeping on side for sleep apnea - spoke to someone who was told to use a waist bum bag with rice in it, fitted to the lumpy back of course. Its working well for them.

walked 2 k today. Yoga. Some exercises there I cannot do either.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Return to “Healthy Habits”