Healthy & Fitness - November 2014

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Healthy & Fitness - November 2014

Postby Nancy » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:53 am

I did my walk this afternoon and tonight did total gym for arms, back and torso. Seems to help my shoulder.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:00 am

I averaged 10K steps per day last week. Hope to manage that for the month. My fitbit group has 150 active members and in September I was at 100th but made it up to 75 for October. So I'm hoping for 50th for November. That means using the treadmill for 10 minutes here and there while surfing the internet. I hope to set up a laptop on it so I don't have to do anything more than step onto the treadmill and press start.

Walking to the store will also help. The pool is too far away. Tomorrow I have a meeting downtown and it is too far to walk (about 6 miles) but I will take an express bus which leaves me about 3 miles of walking, instead of a local bus.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:56 pm

Ramblin', yep, that's the one I did.

Wow, the pedometers around here are exhausted! :o :)

Great finds at healthy food store today. Got there just as chef was putting out a pretty quinoa-vegetable cassserole, so got some of that. Got HRH his veggie spring rolls and found a squash quesadilla for my lunch (HRH has mental block against squash). Other "staples" for HRH were plenty of fresh veggies, esp sweet potatoes, apple, salad fixins, tomatoes, and his fav mock crab cakes, mock hamburger patties, and vegetable pizza just made. Fridge looks great! I picked up green tea because I read it is the one tea that may be good for kidney stones (keeps calcium oxalate crystals from adhering to each other in a ball, so that they stay flat and fragile).

Trending low toward my recent low weight again, which is nice. "Finding" a new recent low to mark would be do-able as a goal within Nov, although I have promised myself that weight won't rule this last half of the year, so it's not a priority like consistent exercise is.

HRH is tracking his blood sugar on a graph - that's so like him. Because the numbers are lower than his weight (he's very pleased with that), he is bragging that he can track weight and blood sugar on same graph with different colors. Men. :)

He stuck my readings of bs over to the side as outliers and has just about quit asking me to let him take mine. I am no help. I have no idea why he can't catch a bs reading from me in the triple digits. It simply has to be part heredity, because I have not "earned" this in my life. I am no food saint. And I don't think relatively consistent exercise, even over years, does that much for bs.

I know he's slimming because tonight his knock-around jeans fell down as he was holding a flashlight and balancing the wellhouse lid in the air after a power outage. :D He says he needs suspenders because he is not spending money to replace perfectly good pants. :D
Wow. Thrifty AND slimmer, and wearing suspenders - what a catch.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:03 pm

Harriet wrote:[
Wow. Thrifty AND slimmer, and wearing suspenders - what a catch.

LOL!

No progress to report today although I'm at 7700 so will return to the treadmill when dh's call is over and spend more time on it.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:55 pm

Did my ten mi. On the ex bike this a.m. knitted too.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:48 am

Lesson learning.......the easiest way to reach my daily vegetable goal is to keep Weight Watcher soup in refrigerator ready to eat. On the days that I don't eat a bowl of it, my vegetable intake will drop to 2-3 vegetables. Thankfully, I l-o-v-e WW soup so it almost feels like a treat.

Lesson I knew but am being taught again.....Having Halloween candy in the house is not good. I've told LO he could have 1 piece a day. ARGHHHH! At this rate "we" are going to be still eating it next summer.

I'm listening to Success Principles while on treadmill each day. There is plenty that I don't agree with in this audio book, but there are some valuable take-aways too. The one that I'm mediating upon now is E+R = O formula Event + Response = Outcome. I can't control the events that happen in my life, but I can control my response to them which affects the Outcome. I am quick to blame my healthy habit failures upon events. It is my response that affects the outcome! Still thinking upon this.....
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:05 pm

LadyM...
A friend of mine told me about a good idea. Her kids sells their Halloween candy to her for 5 cents a piece. She says the $13.45 she spent was way better than the 5+ lbs she would gain. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:44 pm

RR - that is a GREAT idea! I'll visit with LO about it and see what his reaction is. Since I have already told him that he could have a piece a candy each day, I might have to work on him a bit for it to become "his" idea to sell the candy to me. LOL.

One week into the month - pausing to see how I'm doing on monthly goals.

Week 1 fitbit step progress - On track! Averaging 8673 steps a day

Treadmill goal - On Track! Keep on keeping on with consistence & itty bitty increases
Week 1 Treadmill review -
+/- from last week
• 9 more minutes on treadmill
• 0.684 more miles walked
• 0.07 average daily speed increased
• 1.28 average daily minutes increased
• 0.098 average daily miles walked increased

Weight loss goal - lose 5 lbs. On track!
Week 1 review -
• Lost .9 lb in the last 7 days. I lost more but the scales have bounced up. Hopefully it is sodium water gain.

Fasting Daily -6pm-6am.
Struggling. I'm not late night binge eating, but I want to cut all eating off at 6pm (when possible)
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:58 pm

I lost nearly 5 Lbs. in the past 10 weeks.
I struggled with emotional eating though.
So this is why it was such an way up and then down, like rick-rack trim, on my weight-loss graph, too.

I start a new 10-week book tomorrow.
I've made a vow, with myself, to actually count the calories daily and total them at night.

I still continue to log my exercise and activity at The President's Challenge. It's working great for me.
One of my snail mail pen pals is going to try The President's Challenge, now!

I try to stop eating at 6:30 - 7 p.m. or so, if I can.
It helps the nighttime GERD to not be there, I sleep better, especially when I exercise a lot.
And I lose weight easier, if I don't p.m. snack.

And, I feel much better about myself, my emotions, and feel in my control of my eating and life, in general. :mrgreen:

Everyone's doing so well! Big WTG, Gals! :D :P 8-) ;)
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:18 am

Today's the LAST PILL!!!! (to be taken in about 10 minutes.)

I'm hoping to start a downward trip on the scale once I can get back to eating when I'm hungry and eating what I want, when I'm hungry.

I have managed to maintain my weight through this despite the Dr. Pepper and far too many Halloween bags of Cheetos. (Being free of nutrition, they were used to fill my tummy when I was hungry but couldn't have nutrients like iron or calcium and the Dr. Pepper kept my tummy settled.)

My tummy is upset right now and I haven't taken the pill yet. I'll have to wait an hour before I can have Dr. Pepper so I'll get moving and maybe I'll at least forget about the tummy upset.

Swam yesterday.

Managed to average 10K steps per day all week. Yesterday I was under by 1400 and Saturday I just made the 10K but I was over on other days so it all worked out.

Today I'm guaranteed 4500 as I walk to/from school. So I just have to have a reasonably active day to get my 10K. I have to buy milk so might walk for that.

Return to “Healthy Habits”