Health and Fitness, December 2014

Share healthy living habits.
FelineFriend

Re: Health and Fitness, December 2014

Postby FelineFriend » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:01 pm

Walked 35 minutes, did 10 minutes stretching, housework, LOL, and will march in place/read this evening.

I got my G. I. Dr. appt. scheduled. At that appt., we'll go over meds, anesthesia choices and make the colonoscopy appt., and follow-up appt., too. He's about 40 miles away, so it'll be about a 45 - 60 minute drive each way. We have colon cancer in our family, other G. I. "issues," so I'm glad I'll get this done for the 3rd time. The last 1 showed 3 pre-cancerous polyps, which they removed, and diverticulosis pockets, too. He may become my new regular G. I. Dr., too, because of G. I. "issues" I have. My primary care Dr. is thinking I could possibly have Chron's Desease, but he doesn't know. He's treating me for IBS, like previous Dr.'s did. Previous Dr.'s sent me for tests, which always had the G. I. Dr. say, "You have IBS." I don't know if that fact's changed now, or not. It's been 42 years, of the same diagnosis on and off.

Getting a lot of steps in today, which help me sleep very well. :mrgreen:
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:44 am

I got on the total gym and gazelle for today's ex.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:13 am

I have decided to continue my fit group classes for another session. I really love these classes as they continue to push me in ways I didn't expect. I am running... Yikes... and lifting weights plus doing what you would call floor exercises. I am cheered and teased abt my age and abilities. And I am enjoying the friendly competition.

I am eating on plan and am again down to my lowest weight. All of this... Exercise and eating.. Is due to my recommitment to myself. Sweetie says he likes the change because I seem happy. I never considered myself as an athlete but I certainly feel like I am training like one and I am enjoying it. I think that is fueling my enthusiasm.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:11 pm

I need to try and get into the seniors' yoga class for January. I figure it will be my pace! It is 2x per week in the daytime (another advantage to the seniors' classes.)

Today my knees rebelled. I've been walking a lot lately and the weekend walks weren't in good boots. They both had excellent grip but my feet weren't comfortable in them. On Monday I used my hiking boots and my feet were just fine, held firmly in place in the boot. I suspect my sore knees relate back to Sunday because my foot was sliding around inside the boot, and my toes were killing me on any downward slope as my foot hit the end of the boot. The issue wasn't Plantar fasciitis but support for the whole foot.

My hikers are ok if there isn't ice. They are useless on ice (whereas my winter boots offer some grip if I'm careful.) On the other hand, around here the sidewalks are well plowed so perhaps ice won't be a huge issue this year.

It is too late to do the treadmill (I'm 1800 steps short of my 10K.) So I'll have to eat into my buffer for the month (I have an extra 5K steps in the buffer so far.) I'm hoping for a swim sometime tomorrow. Will have to wait and see how my work day goes.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:24 am

Yesterday only did half the mi. 5 on the ex bike and 15 on the gazelle, did more on the total gym. Changing it up a bit. Started a bottle of long acting insulin had a low so am up way early to get carbs in me. S2s & back to bed.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:33 am

I got back up to 10K yesterday by walking the dogs when we got home from the JCC. Weight down about a pound from the recent highest.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:05 pm

Still getting all my exercise steps from moving activities. Yesterday I packed & moved 2 SUV loads between doing other activities. We had 3 separate sets of company drop by the BH which ended in impromptu tours. Also had DMIL over for lunch to smooth her feathers. DMIL is becoming so forgetful and got her feelings hurt when she became confused about some of the details of upcoming Christmas family meal. Very small details but they lead to misunderstanding that DMIL was hyper focusing upon. ANYway - after talking it over while eating lunch together, DMIL is calmed down and happy now.

Last night we ate at school fund raising event. My choices were all horrible (health wise) so I didn't eat anything healthy. Sometimes you're the bug and sometimes the windshield. My Healthy eating goals were like a bug last night......SPLAT!! However, my weight is at the lowest it has been this month. Hoping the s-l-o-w trend downward continues.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:28 pm

I have a weigh-in at the Dr. office this week. I'm trying to NOT snack after dinner, did NOT last night, so will try that this week, to continue, so the Dr. scales weigh me less than it did a couple of months ago.

Needing to get more steps, but did not feel well, at all, this a.m. and rested. Now I'm crocheting, so if I make it to 5K - 7K, I'll be happy. I'll try to get in 10K, by bedtime. The last 2 nights, I've been 8,500K and 9,400K, roughly. But today, with resting and crochet, I'm afraid it'll be lower than my last 2 previous days. BUT at least I'm out of that terrible 2,500 - 3,500 range! I was crocheting gift hats. I can stand and crochet, stepping in place, but it's rather difficult.

The main thing, is I'm happy I'm not doing nighttime snacking, my clothes fit looser, I have energy, and sleep very well, waking up rested. This a.m., it was a case of IBS, but it's just a normal par for the course for me. Luckily, I do have a great medication, so everything has calmed down, no more cramping, or painful tummy. I feel so good now, with a calm tummy. Much happier, too. I just laughed out loud, too. Because it IS NICE to feel good, after feeling so putrid. See the new G. I. Dr. next week, so hoping after the colonoscopy, to get some answers, to these symptoms. Maybe he'll put me on a special diet or prescribe a better medication, for maintenance. I was on a drug study med, 10 years ago, which is on the market now, my insurance company won't let my primary care Dr. prescribe it for me, although they'll cover it, if a G. I. Dr. prescribed it for me. Hark! I feel like we're on the right track! Colon "issues" and colon cancer run in my family. I'm glad I'm doing this proactive thing, for myself and peace of mind.

The washer just sang its "come-get-me" song, so I best be going and getting my work done- and more steps in! :mrgreen:

LM, Sorry about your DMIL. Sorry about your bug SPLAT last night, too! I'm very glad your weight was at the lowest it has been this month. I'm pulling for you. Maybe this WILL be a slow trend downward, for you --- and me, both! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:28 pm

I have done the 10 mi. On ex. Bike, 30 min. On the gazelle, and the total gym did my full work out yea! Plus up and down the stairs doing laundry & sweept and mopped.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:49 am

Evening snacking was a D-I-S-A-S-T-E-R! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :o :o :o :o :? :? :? :? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

TOMORROW'S A NEW DAY!!!! :) I'll try to focus on stepping more, will do some T-Tapp, as I have not done it in ages, and I'll focus on crocheting ponytail/pigtail/braid tail scrunchies for DGD-me-Ddil. Focusing on those things will be productive. :idea: :!: :mrgreen:

Return to “Healthy Habits”