Health and Fitness January, 2015

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness January, 2015

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:15 am

Ex done.

Various things other thna carbs can cause bs to go up liver function (bm), infections meds w steriods in em, hormones, stress.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:56 pm

Got a med. Walk in today.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:29 am

I'm trying very hard to get my step count up -not easy when it's all inside. But at least I'm more cognizant of it. Also trying very hard to NOT snack. But I sure was ready for dinner! My bs paid off as it was only 84 this morning and I could feel it. My weight is also down to below pre-Christmas weight. That's enough to spur me on. About 5# below my high, so I just need to keep it going. I would so like to be down 15 pounds or so by the time I go back to the Dr. in May.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:22 pm

There's always the hope I can blow them all away in March when I'm on the ship and they are still dealing with winter. This ship is larger and has a proper promenade deck (or regular liner doesn't and once people are up and about for the day, you are dodging sunbathers and people just moving from point A to point B. As well, there is a gym. Plus the fact that the ship is larger so I'll get more steps in just from having to walk to breakfast, lunch, dinner and distractions each day. Then, during shore days, there will be walking as well.

In the meantime, they are taking the end of the month trash talk seriously and I've got a weird thing going on with my left leg so it has been hurting today (until I iced the back of my knee where the ligament or whatever hurt the most.) I've dropped to 75th. Although my daily step count is higher everyone between me and 70th so it shows there data isn't robust. (If someone has more steps than me, how can my monthly, daily step average be higher than theirs?)

Lady M: thanks for the link but it won't work for me, it downloads an error message. Tried it three times.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:50 pm

Dee, I thought about that May appt according to the calendar, and 15 would be a little more than a pound a week, or a little more than 4 pounds a month. Sensible, but challenging. :)

Have ya'll heard that MSG is being concealed on ingredient labels with the phrase, "yeast extract", which sounds much nicer. It can be used on U.S. labels even if the product's label also includes the word "natural". At first I was thinking this is not so bad, but an article online at LiveStrong explains how many different types of labels in our groceries are doing this switcheroo, and it's really significant. I'm pretty sure MSG causes me to have water retention. Dsonil simply can NOT have it. It's not good for anyone and at least we all ought to be able to know when we are eating it. I get so discouraged over processed foods. Sigh.

When the trash talk gets to a silly level sometime, Kathryn, interject the question you put in parentheses. It might turn the chat more pleasant, and you never know - someone may be able to shed some light on that.

Did our walkers in H and F used to talk about 7,000 steps? Wasn't that the impressive goal once?

About that link - it does seem to travel where LadyM expects for me. But then I don't know what I'm seeing :)

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:11 am

:idea: I posted a book title, in Members Only, under "Media 2015", which is a book all about foods and health.

TTFN. ;)
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:08 am

fed up fact sheet on MSG and its substitutes. Names its called, and sneaky use. (imo)
http://fedup.com.au/factsheets/additive ... -enhancers

If you scroll down half the page passed the individual stories of reactions, there is more details of MSG history and current names, studies, etc.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:16 am

here is another fact sheet just about 635 and co.
http://fedup.com.au/factsheets/additive ... es-627-631
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:51 pm

This morning I have done ten mi. On the ex. Bike. 30 min. On gazelle, and my arm work out on the total gym.
YEA! For progress.
Raked the front yard as well.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:21 pm

Lynlee, that is a wealth of info, thank you. I haven't finished the first link yet and found so much that I don't think dsonil knows. When last I talked to him, he seemed to believe that falsehood that MSG has been in Asian diets for centuries. Of course that kind of misinformation makes people think of their reaction in terms of an intolerance to something "normal", rather than placing the blame correctly on a man-made ingredient. Our previous generations never encountered MSG. I like the large quote by the mother, over to the right.

Today in grocery I pondered a box of crackers with a exciting sounding new flavor. But yeast extract on the label reminded me that that amazing new addictive taste has got to come from somewhere.

Return to “Healthy Habits”