Health and Fitness January, 2015

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness January, 2015

Postby Harriet » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:09 pm

We chat here about all aspects of health, with an eye to building strength for the calling of Homemaker. Taking care of ourselves is vital, but it also means a better chance at taking care of those around us. We hope you will join us.

"Cheerfulness is the best promoter of health, and is as friendly to the mind as to the body." - Addison

“Cheerfulness is the very flower of health.” - Japanese Proverb

"Number one, like yourself.
Number two, you have to eat healthy.
And number three, you've got to squeeze your buns.
That's my formula."
- Richard Simmons

"A healthy attitude is contagious. But don't wait to catch it from others. Be a carrier." - Tom Stoppard

How cheerful is this full year of possibilities spreading out in front of us!?!? :D It's gotta make you smile! Just think of the goals that could be reached, the new healthy habits that could be formed in 3 months... ... 6 months... ... 365 days!

Tell us here about your goals, ideas, plans or resolutions for 2015. All tips warmly welcomed!

And be sure to report on your news of 2014 - progress made, proactive health measures taken, milestones reached. And if you had frustrations, this is the place to tell that, too, because we all understand.

There was a flurry of chat in the last few days of December's thread :idea: be sure to read there to catch up with everyone's ideas and tips.

Lynlee

Re: Health and Fitness January, 2015

Postby Lynlee » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:20 am

I'm adding some yoga (or tai chi) to each morning (my intention at least) . Just 5-10 min to make it possible, and not too big a deal. I thought as I did it today, adding extra sessions through the day would help too.
Just begin. Then keep doing the action regularly!

Also - Eat what is good for me.

Rest - Its up to me to regulate the hours of rest, a chance of sleep. It won''t happen any other way.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:11 pm

Hello, Lynlee! Yes, times of exercise can be short and still be effective. I hope you enjoy your mornings and also feel rested from good nights.

Looking forward to hearing from all.

My six months with good recordkeeping the last of the year was an encouragement. I became very happy with my exercise calendar, seeing the good-looking, full pages. I must admit to you all that in December things did not go as well - probably no surprise to anyone. A hectic time. But overall, consistent exercise is so good for me. I had some inch losses, reported here. Weight was not much of a factor, but slightly down. This is good since, obviously, if I had not made my attempts it certainly could have gone the other way!

So careful today for "best foot forward" on health for Jan 1. All healthy habits done! Basic workout today to start off the year. Veggies included traditional beans and greens!

1 apple
2 eggs scrambled (ours), 2 strips bacon
crowder peas, turnip greens, mustard greens
Indian vegetable curry over rice

For 2015 I want to stay conscious of my liquid intake. My goal will be to drink only water, juices, milks, minimal coffee and no more than one stevia-sweetened soda a day, if that. I'm brainstorming ways to carry a can of stevia-sweetened soda along when I go out, to avoid temptation. Undoubtedly the best tasting I've tried is Zevia Cherry Cola, not easy to find. So I need to remember to buy extra when I do find it.

Otherwise, I still love the recordkeeping resolution. It helps so much to see how you are doing and look forward to recording your efforts.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:13 pm

10 mi ln ex bike done
30 min on gazelle done
Arm workout on total gym still done.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:45 pm

Got my heart rate up cleaning in the basement when I vacuumed the sewing laundry storage area for some exercise today! :D
I am done with 10 mi.mon ex bike.
on gazelle now, next up total gym.
Soda stream with diet cranberry juice 2 carbs is just yummy. No sugzr pop for me but I am allowed diet ones. Love the orange one too.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:11 pm

Noticed some recent inspiring info

According to a 2014 Gallup poll, 63 percent of Americans now say they "actively try to avoid" soda or pop. Only 13 percent say they really don't think about it.

Among those who do happen to drink sweetened soda, replacing a 12 ounce can of cola per day with water would result in a 15 pound loss in 365 days for the average person. (from Medical Review Board About Health, December 2, 2014)

That would really be a case of time healing wounds, since the April issue of the journal Diabetologia reported a study that showed the spikes in blood sugar from drinking soda over time raise the risk of both stroke and diabetes.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:45 pm

Harriet: in my body, replacing 1 can or 3 of soda results in no weight loss. I've done that numerous times and weight loss is never part of the results.

If I replace the can (or 3) of soda AND track everything else I eat, then I lose weight. But if I simply remove the soda, nothing changes. In the past 3 years, I've done multi-month experiments (during hepatitis and after gall bladder surgery and simply to get off HFCS) and in no case did I lose weight. In some, I gained it.

During the move, I was eating 200 - 400 calories of baked Cheetos and drinking 4 - 6 cans of Dr. Pepper a day and by the end of move, there was no change in my weight.

I don't say that to be snarky with you, but I'm getting pretty sick of these studies that focus only on the calories from one item. Sure you replace that liquid with an extra 12 oz of water, but unless you are on a calorie restricted, strict reporting, diet (which I'm guessing these people in the study are), some other calories replace that sweetness. And if you just did the calorie restricted, strict reporting, diet and kept the 160 calories a day from the soda, I'm willing to bet the same people would also lose weight.

It is all about only healthy habits. Removing a single bad habit won't change everything because you are likely to compensate - just as recovering alcoholics add sugar to their diets, or smokers eat lots and lots extra.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:57 pm

Reporting in from the treadmill.

No idea my weight - too afraid to get on a scale.

Have focused only on step count for the past 2 months. Meant to try tracking last month but never did it. Not even one day.

My water consumption is way down. I do know that when I think back over my day's intake. My milk consumption remains good. Since the move, I've never stopped drinking caffeine so that cuts my water intake (I count non-caffeinated drinks towards my water count, not just plain water.)

The treadmill helps with the water so I've make sure I've got my water bottle filled each day. And most days I'll get 3 - 4 glasses from that. Another glass at night and 2 milks through the day mean I'm not dehydrated but it isn't where I am when I'm most healthy.

I have a cold now and suspect one day soon I'll have virtually no steps. I can't believe i've managed to average 10K steps per day for 2 months in a row. There have been a few days below 4K in that time so some other days are really moving. Walking to the store, school and the post office helps. Dh is enjoying walking more so when we don't have an errand to run, he often suggests a walk around the neighbourhood. So he's helping me keep my step count up.

Today I agreed to try to get to the store on foot but reserved the right to turn around. The fresh air helped motivate me (as well as the whole step count thing.)

I'm well past my 10K today but keep on walking because I can.

My goal for this year is the same as the past few years - to get back to goal weight. I reckon I'll have 45 - 50 pounds to lose (don't think I gained more than that.)

Since my ability to walk is back, I need to build more time into my schedule for swimming and stretching, while maintaining the step count. If I'm on the treadmill while doing my internet surfing each day, that should be doable. I hate doing the stretching, though.

I didn't sign up in time for yoga so that is out for this session. Sigh...

My weight has remained relatively stable this year, within 5 lbs of the start weight. I was 183 last December and I was 186 last time I weighed myself.

Tomorrow, I'll open up MyFitnessPal again and get back into that with proper numbers.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:01 pm

No idea my weight - too afraid to get on a scale.

I'm with Kathryn. My weight was an all time high yesterday (except for pregnancy) and I compounded it by having chili for supper last night while we watched football. Lots and lots of sodium.

I'm having my first water now, of course, I didn't get up until 10:45. Not sure what that was about - I had trouble getting to sleep last night but wouldn't have thought I needed that much catch up sleep. It's a rainy foggy day here so perhaps that compounded it. May need to get out the SAD lamp.

In Dec I averaged 7937 steps daily. I had several runs when I hit 10K consistently but it took me going upstairs to the treadmill, and when push came to shove I often didn't get there.

Doc recommends elliptical - I can use at the YMCA - starting with 15 minutes three times a week and working up to an hour 3 times a week. She says will trim my middle (where I am depositing weight like crazy) and reduce weight overall.

So today need to get to the Y and at least get a new card.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:40 pm

That is so interesting that dr considers elliptical especially good for middle, Twins' Mom. (Also, you mention she is a woman, so, in my brain, she has more credibility about middles, lol.) That's the only thing I have in my home that would be called "exercise equipment" (HRH's). Perhaps I should include it more. I just don't think of it as the main important thing, and so then when I'm into a workout I tend to want to finish with that one, and tend to consider the end of it as the end of exercise, you know? Happily I march off to change out of workout clothes. Perhaps I should contemplate the elliptical while still dressed in shorts.

Kathryn, yes I'm sure that study and factoid assumes all other factors remain equal. HRH had questioned me about it, asking whether the loss of those calories wouldn't be "felt" even if they were empty ones. The math is interesting to me, though, in that it answers the confusion I have when I can GAIN weight so readily just by absentmindedly starting back on sodas when company/kids bring them, or when a rushed time means more drive-throughs.

I was pleased to hear people are questioning sodas in their daily lives more.

Yesterday Basic workout and I ate:
raspberries with oatmeal
beef and veggies
beans and greens
pasta with parmesan

Return to “Healthy Habits”