Health and Fitness, March, 2015

Share healthy living habits.
Lynlee

Re: Health and Fitness, March, 2015

Postby Lynlee » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:34 pm

Quinoa is a seed Harriet, grows on something that is related to spinach . Is the diet seed free as well as grain free ? http://www.quinoasuperfood.com/what-is-quinoa/ Buckwheat is officially another seed, and its plant looks a little similar to me.
The salad w fruit - possibly too much fruit. I love a chicken mango salad once in a while. I'd have trouble with the strawberries and pineapple, just because of the fruit they are. I did buy a pineapple recently, it was ok for me cooked with meat and veg dishes.
It just depends what you have problems with Harriet. Obviously for you, something in the mix didn't agree.

I need remember the no commercially prepared things with sugar/glucose added. I keep thinking its ok, but it is not. Even in little doses.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:28 am

Thanks for reminding me about quinoa. Haven't had it for a long time, but we love it!! <3

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:27 pm

Shopping and walking & weeding = todays exercise.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:28 pm

I've begun to believe that what's really going on with me is that I am reacting to the barometer. Sinus-type pressure and headache building since yesterday and so rough today. Supposedly, we were coming out of a weather pattern that was causing this, and today was going to be better, but I haven't seen much help so far. This is my second intense sinus/migraine type pain of the spring and both when the accuweather charts predicted them.

Thanks, Lynlee. Quinoa wasn't recommended on Dr. Hyman's detox of sugar, even though it has no gluten. So I don't know his reasoning. He recommends hemp, chia, flax, pumpkin and sesame seeds, but stops there. Don't know why. He doesn't recommend any grains, so I was thinking he was correlating quinoa with grains in some other way, even though there's no gluten. In going to his site and searching quinoa, though, I found that in his kitchen purge article, when he's asking you to toss the cereals and boxed foods, he says to keep the quinoa. So that tells me he's not against it or anything, maybe just didn't have a complete list in the book.

Just to make sure I'm not putting words into his mouth, this is what he said on his website (bolding is mine):

Grains– For millions of Americans gluten creates inflammation, autoimmunity, digestive disorders and even obesity. But do all grains cause a problem? Even though we started consuming grains recently in our evolutionary history, they can be part of a healthy diet, but not in unlimited amounts.

Any grains can increase your blood sugar. And if you eat any flours made from grains, you might as well be drinking a soda.

Stick with small portions (1/2 cup at a meal) of low glycemic grains like black rice or quinoa.

That said, for type 2 diabetics wanting to get off insulin and reverse their diabetes and those with autoimmune disease, a grain- and bean-free diet could be a good experiment for a month or two to see how it impacts health.

I'm not believing that I can reach Hyman's standard of 10 days of a sugar "detox" right now with so much company coming in for the weekend. Very interested, though, to see what it would feel like to get close for a few days.

Return to “Healthy Habits”