Health and Fitness, March, 2015

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, March, 2015

Postby Nancy » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:56 pm

Walked pushing the stroller today the regular walk. This afternoon walked in the field with toddlerN done with this now.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:59 pm

I would agree with you about stress, Harmony. Especially when you add in the stress over the health of others.

Have only heard good things about fish oil effect on thyroid. Don't know.

Thought of Ramblin'Rose when I learned Jorge Cruise has a new book coming out in April, Stubborn Fat Gone. You can read some of it online at Amazon free. He seems to be talking about stress a good bit - that any stress, good or bad, puts inches on the midsection. A lot sounds like what I've heard so many times - self talk, for instance. And of course he's all about the limited sugar/carb. There's an exercise chapter, high intensity intermittent. He wants everyone to settle down to a consistent breakfast every day, very exacting in the form of a shake, in which you would include an exact fiber supplement daily, too. It's based on coconut milk. He has some new ideas on other supplements.

Dd16's upper back was hurting yesterday and she mentioned it over and over. So I had an easier time getting her to agree to exercise with me last night. We did the basic t-tapp with lots of water breaks and she said today was much better.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:13 pm

and Dr. Mark Hyman's 10 Day Detox Diet Cookbook goes on sale today. I had missed that. (The first book came out last month and this is the cookbook - the idea is 10 days without sugar to "reset" to avoid cravings and reduce inflammation, feel better.)

Dr Oz' program (and Hyman) put Hyman's diet on one page available to print for free.

Like Cruise, Hyman also advocates breakfasts that are shakes, and the same every day. His recipe is long, but I can see that the point is the multiple whole-foods concept. I've always understand "coconut butter" and "coconut oil" to be interchangeable in recipes, especially liquid recipes. But he does make a distinction here and use the word "butter", so I'm not sure if he thinks that finding that particular product would really make the recipe better in some way.

If you happen to look at the video on the same page you'll see Hyman advocates chromium as a supplement. Cruise is advocating that in his book as well. I find this a little amusing since I first heard about taking chromium something like 20 years ago, and it fell out of fashion (if that's the right word) later.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:47 pm

If your work outs ever get boring just take a 3 yo & 5 yo on a walk for instant adventure.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:40 pm

Harriet...I've already pre-ordered Jorge Cruise's new book and am excited to see what he has to say that's new.

My weight is hanging where it should be with an occasional bounce up and down. At the moment I'm happy with that. However I am making a final push to reach my "goal weight" by my birhtday which is next month.

I have been working out with a fitness group 3 days a week. We do circuit training with some cardo added. When I first started my time for running a 1/4 mile was 2.53 ( two minutes, fifty-three seconds) Last week I ran it at 2:39....I cut off 14 seconds in two months...that from a girl who didn't like running.

I never could have hiked up the Superstition's trail Sunday without my training. As usual, I am the oldest in the group and have most of the girls beat by 20 years...I am almost at the point where I can run with the HS girls....but I'm usually ahead of the pack behind me and trailing the HS girls in front of me. When it comes to push ups, squats and jumping jacks I can beat most every one...not bad for an old broad.

After completing my hike the other day, I told Sweetie that climbing the rocks reminded me of my tree climbing years. Back then I loved to climb to the top of trees and was surprised how the climb this Sunday recaptured that feeling for me. When I'm focused on working out now, my age never crosses my mind, I find that in my head I'm enjoying everything just like I did when I was younger. For that reason I think that motivates me to do more. My mind and body vessels are at two different points at this time, and I'm loving it.... :D :D :D
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:28 pm

Congratulations, Ramblinrose, on your new personal best for the 1/4 mile. Well done! And the joy you are feeling while you are working out is, I am sure, your best reward. :)

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:47 pm

I love that personal best!

my neighborhood has a juice bar
but it's $9.00 a glass so I don't go often but when I do I get their pear fection. pear, cilantro, lime, spinach, cucumber - I like it.

I have been so proud of a man I don't know... last fall he could barely walk - over the winter (even on the worst days) he came out and could barely move. He started a shuffle and I saw him yesterday and he is at a slow jog... awesome
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:49 pm

Did a half mi. Walk and 30 min. On the gazelle for my exercise.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:39 pm

Hi, RunKitty. Glad you are back with us. :)

blessed, that man deserves a pat on the back.

I made that Whole Food Shake recipe this morning (from Dr. Hyman link above). I had gone by the grocery and thought to pick up a few items for it I didn't have. Because I did go ahead and leave the lemon rind on as suggested, it was very lemony. Pleasant, but since the shake is purple, the taste is a surprise. Not sweet at all, but I wouldn't say it needed sweetening - just tart with the cranberries and lemon.

Extremely thick. Recipe says add some water if it is hard to drink, but even though I did, it was still thick. I treated it as a food and spooned out of the glass what I couldn't get to let go! :) Had water with it to take my vitamins.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:14 pm

I did ten miles on tne exercise bike and walked today a diff rouet so I could see flowers in bloom. Sgill fighting this cold through the wirt of it for today I think.

Return to “Healthy Habits”