Health and Fitness, March, 2015

Share healthy living habits.
RunKitty

Re: Health and Fitness, March, 2015

Postby RunKitty » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:47 pm

Hi, Harriet. Happy to be here.
I want to give very belated thanks to Lady M for two recommendations she made. First, for the Intak water bottles. They are great. I bought them for the entire family. Second, for the One Minute Muffins. I don't really do low-carb; I do "smart carbs", but these muffins are really good. The one with cinnamon is great plain, and even better with blueberries. I've made a gingerbread flavor and even a chocolate one with cocoa and a few chocolate chips. Thanks again! :)

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:02 pm

B and Noble sent me coupons. :o
What a temptation! Coupons for books ;) Anyway, I told myself that since dd also needed a reading book for English (Faulkner), I really SHOULD go to the store. :lol: I bought Dr. Hyman's 10-Day Detox book and cookbook and blew my coupons. Got the last copy they had of the initial book. They've had a run on it. (Probably because of more people with coupons!)

He writes as eloquently and forcefully about the need to reduce sugar and artificial sweeteners as any source I've seen. Dd and I sat together as she checked her phone, and I read from first few chapters of 10-Day Detox, and I just kept having to quote to her or I'd burst. It was interesting enough that she didn't get up and leave, lol.

Some information was new to me, and some was uniquely explained from his point of view in his practice, very eye-opening. He gave lots of proofs/studies that show the average person is addicted to - not just enjoying - sweetened foods. Lots of really tough info to hear, about addictions in general and our mistake in assuming sweetened foods/drinks are not such a bad addiction. Of course, he's not the first to say it, but the wealth of evidence since the Carb Addicts books is really amazing.

So that's where he gets his concept that we need detox, meaning a clean break for a while.

As far as I can tell so far, the 10 days is an average of the time some other medical changes have been proven to take. For instance, gastric bypass researchers have learned that if the GB patient has type 2 diabetes, it has almost always reversed by approximately 2 weeks after the surgery. Also, doctors usually find they need to re-check certain medications for their patients about 1 week following dramatic diet changes. Beyond that averaging, it seems to be Dr. Hyman's ideal time frame because most of his patients have considered it short enough to be do-able.

I was wrong about the same breakfast every day. He just wants you to have the same type of breakfast (shake). There are different recipes. I don't think any of them look particularly simple - he's intent on variety in your breakfast.

Dd and I exercised together again last night, lunges and balance, etc. But this afternoon she did a run of a mile or so and really didn't have time for much more, which suited me okay.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:46 pm

I'm doing my best to stay away from sugar Harriet. However I do have cheats every once in a while. And that's mostly in the form of a diet soda. I usually drink maybe two a month now.

I went to my fitness class last night and will be up bright and early to meet everyone at the HS track. We run and do a variety of activities including going up and down the statuim steps. I am still a bit sore but am mostly over it. Want to add some daily ab work so I need to make out a list and number of reps to do. I can do them while watching the news in the morning. :lol:
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness March, 2015

Postby Nancy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:23 pm

ToddlerN & I are back from a walk in the field with walking sticks now we have butterfly nets out. :mrgreen:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:16 pm

Went for a med sized walk did not over do it. Later I did 5 mi. On the ex bike, and 15 min. On the gazelle.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:17 am

RunKitty, I never did check out LadyM's water bottle rec like you did, probably because I've got so many old ones around here and should declutter! :oops: But it is interesting to see you like them as much as her family. I think she's got one for everyone, too. I'm a mason jar person myself. Either the handled pints that are actual mason jars or the Aladdin insulated ones with straws. Drawback - they don't work well for travel because most cup holders in cars are smaller.

I think it was RamblinRose who brought us the idea of the muffins - she was Cowinkie, maybe, at that time. It just dawned on me you would like to know that change in her handle. Same gal.

Now, the chocolate chips idea for them, which would be a bit naughty - that was me!! :lol:

Have you thought about posting over in Post When You Can where there is so much posting traffic? I'm sure everyone would be tickled to hear from you and lots of them remember the sites from way back, too.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:01 am

Today's Tip ~ :idea: for kids put a bell for them to ring in the bathroom for fun after potty time when hand washing is done. To change it up a new years eve tooter horn or whistle to blow. I like these ideas better than a food bribe to Pee. :idea: I am going to be doing this one this week. Also reminding them that they cannot go to school until they learn to use the potty for motivation.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:04 pm

Nancy, those are wonderful ideas for kids. Very fun and probably more rewarding than the food bribes.

Harriet, I like the mason jars too, but, you are right, the water bottles work much better in the car. I like that they don't leak and that you can operate them easily with one hand while driving.
The chocolate chips make all the difference in the one minute chocolate muffins. :)

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:52 pm

Did a full walk yesterday pushing the stroller. Today only got 1 mi. Done had a coughing fit it was cooler this a.m. than we thought it would be. Will finish up later. (Hoping I have more energy later.)

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:53 pm

Did a full walk pushing the stroller today.

Return to “Healthy Habits”