Health and Fitness, April 2015

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, April 2015

Postby Harriet » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:54 am

Welcome! This is a thread about gaining and maintaining strength for our wonderful calling, Homemaking. As we care for our own health, we grow more capable and competent to care for our families, our neighbors and our communities. As we become more effective, our hopes for ourselves and those we care about get the best chance!

We've posted recently about following healthful lifestyle changes, challenges we have given ourselves, getting sensible medical care/tests/proactive steps, trying to form good habits like enough sleep or hydration, trying to break some other habits :) and creating healthy meals. Please join right in!

It's the quarter mark of the year! GASP! How are you doing on your personal challenges and plans?

Maybe it's a good time to set new goals or start new record keeping!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, April 2015

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:03 am

I did ex.10 mi. On ex. Bike 30 min. On gazelle while catching some of Foyles War on net flicks just before bed for this it was great timing.
The benifit ... bs was perftct #96 this morning.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:11 pm

I am very discouraged b/c y'all knew me when I weighed 40 pounds less, and it has just gotten worse and worse as time goes on.
I obviously have no willpower whatsoever re: food, and dh is no help at all in the realm of healthy eating.
However, the good news is I am down a pound from the first day of March, and I am down 1.5 pounds since April 1, 2014.
So... here we go again...

Jan. -- (first day of the month weigh-in) 165, exercised 11 days, approx. 11 miles
Feb. -- 165, exercised 5 days, approx. 5 miles
Mar. -- 165, exercised 9 days, approx. 10 miles

So... will try to improve on the # of exercise days and increase the amount of water I drink. That is my April goal.
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:08 pm

Got a walk in 2day.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:01 am

Don't be discouraged, lucylee. Those are great goals and you are moving forward. :)

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:29 pm

Thanks, runkitty. Yesterday I walked outdoors, 2 miles... Today, 15 min walk away the pounds.
Water -- 1 16oz glass yesterday, trying to add more today.
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:37 pm

We know so much more about supposed "lack of willpower" now than we used to.
lucylee, snag a book or two about sugar/carbs cravings, especially the newer ones, either at library, amazon's look-inside pages, or purchase. I wish I could just reach through the screen and hand you the one I had recently purchased by Mark Hyman, opened to the chapter, "Why Are We Losing the Weight Loss Battle" and the clever subheading he titled, "Food Addiction and Biology (aka Stop Blaming Yourself!)" on page 29. But there are a lot of books out there now that help to understand it.

There are reasons for why we are still hungry right after a meal, even Big Mac, Fries and Coke. And why we will just eat more sugars at the meal that follows a previous meal that had sugars.

Dr. Hyman says that the untruth of "personal responsibility" for this, being placed on the shoulders of individual persons, is "propaganda" because the food industry spends huge $ to intentionally create cravings and addiction so that the individual will fail. There are cravings experts - biochemists - working hard on this as their job. They know the cravings are biochemical and how to make them stronger.

"It makes me furious to see patient after patient blame himself or herself for his or her weight problems and diabesity.... ... how can the food industry point the finger at you for not taking personal responsibility?"

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:23 pm

Ta Da -
I had about 10 days, sprinkled throughout March, in which I ate virtually no sugar. 4 were consecutive. So that was good for me, I'm sure.

Somehow, after 4.5 years without so much as a cold, I came down with something "significant" starting Saturday. :( Went to dr today after HRH gave me a talk in the middle of the night (coughing was getting worse). Dr says there's just no way to know the "how" of it - how it started. But as of my symptoms he sees today, knowing my history (pneumonia in 2010) he felt it was time to nip it in the bud. Gave me prescriptions for steroid, nasal spray and antibiotic.

He said it was fine with him, knowing my aversion to meds, if I held off on the antibiotic to see if the other meds would get me through. (Just what I wanted to hear, really.) But.. ... I told him about dgdaughter's imminent arrival, and how I would probably wish I could make the trip to see her after her birth (he knows the place, of course). At that point, he advised me to start the antibiotics now. Even though it's disappointing, dgd is more important, especially my ability to take care of green-eyed boy3 whenever needed. I'll probably just give a present to ds in the form of never even telling him these remedies had to coincide with their plans/prep.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:28 pm

I got a med walk in today.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:39 pm

Will definitely look into the book, Harriet, if you think KNOWING better will actually make me DO better. I have my doubts.
Sorry you're feeling so miserable with the cold/infection. You take care of yourself! Lots of folks gonna be needing you soon!

Whew -- pizza -- ugh -- DH was right. Up TWO complete pounds overnight! It is so frustrating when I am doing better w/exercise to see numbers rise like that... and I ate almost NOTHING yesterday, UNTIL I had 3 slices of pizza. Meat lovers.

Today will probably have to stick with indoor exercise -- man is mowing the yard right now and that is just too much for my allergies.
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Healthy Habits”