Health & Fitness May 2015

Share healthy living habits.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health & Fitness May 2015

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed May 27, 2015 9:01 am

After a couple of almost pain free days, I'm back to pain. The difference? I wasn't moving much in the pain free days. At most 5K steps. Yesterday was 10K.

I like the Voltaren emugel in the middle of the night if my knees wake me up, except you must wash it off your hands fully. Which means that it won't work this weekend because the bathroom is not in the room (college dorms.) I'll take it in case I luck out and there's a sink in the room. Doubt it (it is an old residence) but don't want to miss out. Besides, I can use it during the day if need be.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed May 27, 2015 1:26 pm

I have done my walk this morning.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed May 27, 2015 8:14 pm

Went through a lot of breast pain the past few days. I can only assume my water intake went down while company was here over the weekend and my caffeine intake went up. I know that caffeine used to cause breast pain for me. Frankly, I felt better when I went without a bra for a while. Also went back to my usual higher water intake.

Finally got to view at least the seminar part of that exercise clinic - a TTapp first attempt at live video. It had crashed because so many more people logged in than expected. Anyway, the streaming video of it, when it finally came online, was great. About 1.5 hours. Hopefully I'll get to see the workout part soon.

Dd16 watched part of the seminar with me and said this was the best she had seen. Very clear, frank talk. I have to believe it will be made available later somehow. I watched through once and then went back again to see the first 10 minutes to refresh my memory some. This was like an update of the "Yes, You Can" seminar. About half was info/instruction and half participation/exercise. Lots about posture, how-tos on lifting, discovering that you probably favor one leg when you stand still, etc. I'm feeling frustration right now trying to remember all the hints.

Dd was so inspired that she hula-hooped watching a 30-minute favorite comedy today, while using all the muscle activation tips the seminar gave. I told her she probably should have worked up to that.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu May 28, 2015 8:12 am

In preparation for the weekend away, I weighed myself this morning for the first time in 10 days. Am down 2 pounds. Have 10.5 to go to make my current goal of not-obese. I'm also 10% of the way to go towards my ultimate goal (fitbit is tracking that for me.)

Much sorer today after 2 10K step days in a row. Still moving and not in pain, but definitely sore. Had a rough night last night. I need to make physio before bed a priority since I suspect it helps, although when I'm exhausted I don't want to do it.

Not sure how to fit physio into this weekend. Can only do one optional exercise while in the presence of others and it is a long walk back to my room from the conference. As well, on breaks and meal hours, I'm working in the resource centre.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Thu May 28, 2015 11:35 am

Hurray for the weight loss, Kathryn. And glad you have been pain free. Sometimes sore can be a good thing when you have been more active. Hope you continue to improve. :)

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri May 29, 2015 12:43 pm

Did a 1 mi. Walk will do the other part adtl. Half mi. later on today.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri May 29, 2015 1:10 pm

I decided to call dr about the breast pain just to get that info into the pipeline. Only able to leave a voicemail at this point, but at least documenting this. Each day I tell myself I must not have been doing enough "living right" through the day to get rid of it. Maybe not enough water, etc. But I do need to admit it's happening. 10 years ago I would have thought nothing of it, as my breasts were often on a roller-coaster ride of change. Now I wonder how hormones can possibly be bringing back a whole defunct subject. lol.

Kathryn, I hope your scale continues to cooperate.

Nancy, I hope you see lots of interesting wildlife as long as no cougars.

HRH reports more "leveling" of blood sugar readings is making him happy. His is always higher than mine, if we ever bother to check mine, but it means a lot to him to have steady readings. We still don't go through insurance to purchase any of his supplies for checking. He is only "pre", or another term is "IFG" (impaired fasting glucose) and not diabetic. I guess we are not in the mood to admit to insurance that he is even concerned, on the chance they would start questioning him or assume anything. I wonder if it matters, though - whether they even pay attention. No matter what, I think it is good for him to monitor and know for himself how he is doing.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri May 29, 2015 2:34 pm

Was irritated with the news reports today on a "chocolate diet hoax" that was evidently carried out by some researchers who hired 15 people to deliberately fool journals and media and prove nobody's checking info enough. I never even heard of the "diet". The only two outlets I've read before, who they say believed it and printed small blurbs, were Prevention and Shape. Prevention printed a retraction, though they didn't admit they themselves should've checked more carefully. Ya'll probably remember me complaining that Shape had turned into a make-up and beauty magazine long ago, IMO.

These guys didn't care which of the 18 things they tested for might change for the chocolate eaters, just figured one of the 18 might, since it stands to reason. :roll: They lucked out when weight loss looked better for the 5 who were eating chocolate. (Or maybe they just made it up.) Quickly before anyone could peer-review, they paid a journal (also never heard of) to print it. They pretended one of their first names was "Johnannes" rather than John, because it sounded brainier, and that he was a PhD. Then they sat back and laughed while "millions were fooled".

What bugged me was the reason they gave for picking on chocolate. " it was a favorite of the 'whole food' fanatics. " Um, excuse me... ... so people who say to eat whole foods instead of processed are ... .. fanatics? That's like, EVERY doctor with a diploma. Never mind all the peer-reviewed studies that have been conducted on chocolate and published in serious journals before these guys decided to make fun, and proved all the benefits of chocolate that we now know.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri May 29, 2015 11:10 pm

I did another walk part of the time just me and some with my friend it was good to talk, & process some things.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun May 31, 2015 6:13 pm

Walked yesterday and today gardened a bit too.

Return to “Healthy Habits”