Health & Fitness May 2015

Share healthy living habits.
Twins' Mom

Re: Health & Fitness May 2015

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed May 06, 2015 1:18 pm

I am still vacillating on my plan for 60th birthday. "Six for sixty" may stretch me too much, I don't want to loose focus. I mainly want to eat better and track what I eat, and add in enough exercise for cardio and strength and maybe flexibility.

Am still recording weight and hit highest point since first of year right after Christmas etc but was back down a little today.

Must get through the next couple of weeks before I can focus on anything. First of June sounds like a good plan.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed May 06, 2015 3:10 pm

Twins', you will come up with a plan that inspires you I'm sure!

This "Pro" has 4 cups, Ramblin' (1 taller, 1 shorter), and of course they don't nest, since each fits the same base. With extra base/blades and the lids, etc., a lot of storage space is needed. I was drawn to the NB because I got the impression it was small, but it actually requires much more space than the vitamix. I tried it this a.m. with the smoothie I've been making most lately.

Does a very good job. I did eat right out of the mixing cup and felt there was less waste. (Thick smoothie meal with frozen ingredients, so eaten with a spoon.) Surprised I'm not supposed to put in ice unless it is crushed first. But usually I use some kind of frozen ingredient anyway. It is loud, but not as loud as the vitamix.

The cookbook is well-bound and attractive, but many pages of a lot of whitespace or photos, so not really as large as it seems. Still, helpful. It reminded me to continue researching whether I should eat much raw cruciferous veggies (thyroid). I think I do tend to agree with those who say the benefits must outweigh the concerns, because the benefits are just so many. Oxalates in spinach, etc., require moderation though.

Mon - floorwork
Tues - 1st half Total workout
Wed - 2nd half Total workout

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu May 07, 2015 9:03 am

Another day, still here. Still posting. Not sure if I can say there's progress. I'm flirting with one pound down in weight but not consistently. I have a non-digital scale so it is interpretation as well as which foot I put on the scale first (I'm almost always 1 pound lower when I step on with the left foot instead of the right foot.)

Soreness is a moving target. I seem to have multiple things wrong with me and each time one gets a bit better, another will replace it. I'm staying off the bike since that seemed to set me back last weekend (except on Sunday, the day after the ride, I was way better but then Monday onwards I've been a wreck.) Will make a doctor's appointment for late next week. No time to go in the meantime.

Eating plan is going ok. Tuesday was difficult due to two major meals. Wednesday was out at lunch but recovered at dinner.

Looking ahead to the end of the month, I'm at a conference with all meals provided so am getting concerned any progress I make will be lost at that point. That will be 7 meals in a row with no choices. And no fridge so I can't bring my own food and my snack foods are no longer shelf stable since I'm not using processed foods for snacks.

August will be even worse since we are gone for 4 weeks. But there I'll have some choices except for the 11 days at that conference and will try and arrange to have a fridge.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Thu May 07, 2015 1:02 pm

Ran this morning and yesterday.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri May 08, 2015 3:43 pm

2days ex opps are digging holes for 2 rose bushes moved one one is new.
Shopping walking later on and 27 min. On the gazelle bc I did not get out before dark, h I am not going on a walk after dark with cougar sightings in the area. watched ballroom dancing competion while I did that.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat May 09, 2015 1:39 pm

Struggling a bit with the Nutri Bullet. First two times it worked like a charm. Third, which was the same recipe as the second, ended up with a leak and sputter of ingredients as soon as I started blending. Cleaned that up, cleaned the top of the cup and decided to use the other blade base for a new start. Tried again and still a sputter to clean up. But afterward I filled with water and ran it and nothing happened. This morning dd and I together tried the recipe she picked. Again a sputter to clean up. Again when running it with water afterward nothing leaked. Not sure what to do. Maybe I need to fill further below the "max fill" line, but I've never reached its height yet.

A little frustrated with dd in that I let her pick the recipe, fruitier than I would choose, but I still ended up drinking most.

This morning's weight, inexplicably, was better than the last while even though my food choices yesterday. especially with family over last night, have not been great. Wondering why that happens. I did exercise more intensely Mon, Tues, Wed and then take two days off. Maybe the days off had something to do with it.

Have noticed my fingernails are much stronger and longer since making so many of Dr Mark Hyman's breakfast recipe smoothie over the last 3 or 4 weeks. Every nail is 1/4 inch long without a ding. When HRH mentioned some acid reflux, I realized I have had not a twinge of that, either. Wonder which ingredients make differences. Weight loss with that smoothie... .. nada. It is full of "good fats".

"Food emergencies" - youtube How-To Pack emergency snacks for trips by Hyman some is funny.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat May 09, 2015 2:47 pm

Walked today a ways to the plant sale from the parking lot sort of on purpose nice change of scenery. Planted my finds! :mrgreen:

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu May 14, 2015 4:27 pm

Has no-one posted in 5 days?

Hmmmm. I wonder what that means?

I had the major pain on Sunday, doctor on Tuesday, walked 10K steps today and yesterday, did my knee x-rays today and have my first physio appointment tomorrow night.

I haven't exactly been eating within the calorie count every day but I feel like I'm making an excellent effort and have cut back dramatically. I've set having a Dr. Pepper or Pepsi only on Sundays. I'm also not counting calories much on Sundays (I've decided I need a stress-free day.)

Water intake is up.

Doctor approves of ibuprofen 3x per day (400 mg dose) so I've been doing that and it helps limit the pain in the daytime (hence the higher step count.) Not sure that's a totally good idea since I could be making my leg worse without the pain to govern me. I'll find out tomorrow.

Bike is back from its tune-up and I'll find out tomorrow if biking is a good or bad thing for my leg.

That's my update.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu May 14, 2015 6:00 pm

I did ex. bike the last 2 days and a short walk today.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri May 15, 2015 8:06 pm

First physio appointment is under my belt. Two more lined up for next week. My life will revolve around physio appointments and exercises for the next while. Looking forward to quicker results.

Everything she said made sense to me. Especially the connection to my back and sciatic nerve. That had been my suspicion starting about 3 months ago when I noticed my leg wasn't straightening any more. Whenever something weird like that happens, I know to suspect my back.

Return to “Healthy Habits”