Health and Fitness, June, 2015

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, June, 2015

Postby Harriet » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:11 am

"It is common sense to take a method and try it.
If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something."
– Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

Welcome!

In this thread we chat about keeping ourselves strong and capable as we pursue our calling as homemakers. Our family members may need to lean on us, and we may need to lean on them. Proactive medical answers, sensible consumption of healthy food and water, getting enough rest, and getting enough activity, too - these are all part of our plans! Helping each member of our households work in all their healthy habits is priceless!

LadyMaverick

Re: Health and Fitness, June, 2015

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:52 am

I am a tad bit alarmed with the recent information I am receiving on my sleep. I honestly did not realize I was sleeping so little. I haven't been tracking sleep because I thought I was doing okay. Then I got curious because I'm noticing a sag in my normal energy. I started looking at all the basics to see what could be improved. That's when I discovered how little I am sleeping. Night after night I'm averaging about 5 hours of sleep. THIS IS NOT GOOD!!

Last night I was in bed with my eyes closed for 7 hours but only slept 5 hours and 23 minutes of it. The sleep log shows that I got up 1 for bathrm which took a total of 9 minutes being awake, but 7 other times I was awake dealing with DGD4 which cost me 70 minutes of lost sleep.

Do I really have to be in bed for 8-9 hours in order to get 7 hours of sleep? I am resisting the idea of going to bed that early. However, I am okay with adding a nap in the afternoon. Maybe the combination of the two will get me to my goal of 7 hours of sleep.

I will continue to track and remain aware of my sleep pattern. Knowledge is power. Now that I know what is happening to my sleep, I can make adjustments to improve. My health goal for June is to sleep more!
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:32 am

LadyM, for my entire life I watched my father schedule a nap daily. We always said it was because he was a dairyman and his work was at "both ends of the candle" - super early mornings for milkings, calm midday, and then late evenings before the second milking was done and everything was clean, ready for lights-out. He lived to 95-plus without prescriptions except "as needed", so perhaps there's something to this nap thing (smile). He did struggle with confusion in the last few years, mild enough to continue his own daily routine without help.

More recently, when I find myself up at oh-dark-thirty for dd's schedule, and then (for some reason) still grasping those normal-for-me hours until 11 at night, I also nap very often. This makes me wonder if there is a family trait toward napping as a remedy. I believe my ddad said my grandfather did this, too.

But the one change for all of us over generations, remember, is electricity. We do have to acknowledge that if it wasn't for the creosote poles bringing us the power to do it :) , we'd have little desire or purpose to stay up (or get up) at certain hours anyway. Even though I am a terrible example, I do see that I am doing this to myself. Except for the demands of society (like the school bell), I do have the ability to reach out and turn off a switch. :roll: Also, since HRH's schedule is different, it makes sense for him not to go to bed at the time dd does, so his presence encourages me to stay up, too. I ought to have more sense.

It is of interest that I am saying this a matter of a week or so before the end of the third year of dd's 3 years of earliest morning school bells. I've spent these 3 years back and forth between good bedtime plans and slow erosion of the plans. So, maybe I can be a lousy example for you and inspire you to do better than I've done!

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:58 am

When my kids were young I needed those 9 hours in bed sleeping/resting (with interruptions) .
I'm aiming for 8 hrs rest, hoping for 7 hours sleep - that would be brilliant.

Aiming for yoga tomorrow. I need to be otd about 9am to find some floor space down the back. Last week I was way up the front.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:10 pm

Lady M: is your fitbit set to sensitive or regular setting? It will be very hard to get to 7 hours if it is on sensitive since your movements during REM sleep will show as being 'awake'.

And you have little ones, so the numbers you are posting are pretty good, especially if it is on sensitive.

On the other hand, my last two nights of sleep are depressing and telling.

First night at the conference I had 76% and woke up refreshed enough. It was really hot and a strange bed so I was pleased I had done so well. Anything over 70% is good for me lately.

Second night, in bed at almost midnight, up just after 6 a.m. Lousy sleep due to cheese nachos and caffeine after 11p.m. (what was I thinking!!!) Still an amazing 71% effectiveness.

Last night, to bed at a good hour, in my own bed, slept past 7:00 a.m. and still only had 60% effectiveness.

None of these nights, did I get up to the bathroom (rare) but I was up on the short night to jam the rattling door shut.

On Saturday night, I was in bed 6 hours, 7 minutes and got 4 hours, 9 minutes of sleep according to my fitbit.

On Sunday night, I was in bed 8 hours and 34 minutes and got only 4 hours and 58 minutes of sleep. In other words, that extra 2:27 only translated to 49 minutes of quality sleep.

I've always caught up on sleep when dh is away but I haven't had much opportunity to show how much he's disturbing my sleep. The fitbit now shows that. Even under the most trying circumstances (hot room, terrible quality bed linens over-top a plastic covered mattress with no mattress pad, single bed, strange room, caffeine before bed) I still slept better than I do at home with dh.

Dh also complained about having lousy sleeps the nights without me and how much he missed having me in bed with him. Separate beds are a sign of failure to him and he refuses to consider it. At least now I have the proof that it isn't my tossing and turning or snoring that is keeping him awake, but vice-versa.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:13 pm

Hope! You have given me hope! :)

is your fitbit set to sensitive or regular setting?

It was on sensitive. I just changed it to normal setting so I'm looking forward to the sleep/awake ratio to improve.

I had to look hard to find the sleep efficiency %. I never did find it on the Android Fitbit app.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:19 pm

Lady M: If you use the 'old dashboard' (under the setting 'gear' in the top right corner) it will display your sleep percentage. It is trickier to find in the new dashboard (it is under the 'see more' option if you hover over the bottom of the sleep record.)

Physio appt went really well. I was very sore getting there but I was walking as fast as I could. I strolled home, virtually discomfort free.) I really like my physiotherapist and I'm getting much better.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:02 am

I did a hike in the field today for exercise.lo trying the 10 min. Per hr. Ex. Thing yesterday was good I feel great today. It is pouring down rain today here out now.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:46 am

Jan. -- (first day of the month weigh-in) 165, exercised 11 days, approx. 11 miles
Feb. -- 165, exercised 5 days, approx. 5 miles
Mar. -- 165, exercised 9 days, approx. 10 miles
Apr. -- 164, exercised 9 days, approx. 13 miles
May -- 164, exercised 12 days, approx. 13 miles

Unfortunately, June's first-day weigh-in is up 2 pounds... 166. :(
An interesting note, as I looked back at my records... June's first-day weigh-in has been 166 for the last three years. And 165 the two years before that. BUT... in 2010... June's first-day weigh-in was 155. :shock: Now... why did I gain 10 pounds in 2010-11???
Could there have been anything significant going on in my life at the time?
WHY did I gain 10 pounds the first year ds was married?
* sigh * Dmom would quickly sum up the reasoning: I relaxed. When I am really, REALLY nervous, I cannot eat. When I am happy... I just enjoy myself and eat everything that crosses my line of vision, apparently. :roll:

And I have been pretty happy this past week, as the scales will certainly testify. I'm not even going to tell y'all how much pizza I ate tonight. At least it was frozen, thin-crust, not pizzeria greasy... * shaking my head *

Re: naps. Well, I often require a nap after supper. That is a TERRIBLE time to nap, I know, but when one is eating breakfast at noon, supper becomes lunch, I guess, and so it's kinda my mid-day siesta, isn't it?
At least I'm not eating while I'm sleeping. I try really hard not to do late-night eating, also, even though I'm awake here at 1:46 a.m. :roll:
Tomorrow is another day.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:19 am

First day of June (and new mindset) had its successes and failures. I kept up with food diary and recorded everything faithfully, however was over my goal on everything tracked - calories, fat, sugar, sodium, carbs and all. But I am thinking more about what I'm eating and realizing how much sugar/sodium et al is in some common foods.

Only about 4700 steps - I fully meant to get in a walk or a trip upstairs to treadmill but I went off on the genealogy tangent and never really got myself back on track.

Another day.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Return to “Healthy Habits”