Health and Fitness July, 2015

Share healthy living habits.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness July, 2015

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:47 am

Twins, if I was to WW point my days, I'd be eating 28 to 32 on average each day. Have you considered eating all of your points? If you are getting consistent with your exercise and building more muscle, you'll need protein to help your body along, so perhaps use the exercise points for high protein snacks.

The WW programs I followed only considered fat, fibre, and calories, which lends itself to higher-carb eating. I'm learning that for myself protein needs to be tracked as well so I'm trying to reprogram my way of thinking about food.

helia

Postby helia » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:36 am

The newest WW program here, which I'm doing, does take into account protein and carbs. Point values are assigned based on the amount of: protein, fat, fiber, and carbohydrates in a food. Carbs make points higher and I believe protein makes points lower, so it does encourage more protein and less carbs.

Jogged 2.66 miles. I don't know how long it took me b/c I walked for 3 minutes after 30 minutes since I was pouring sweat and was planning to go 3 miles. I thought a 3 minute breather would let my body rest enough to take me the remaining distance. Then, I lost my tracker on my watch (garman running watch) when I brushed a button and other functions seemed to take over. :roll: When I got to my car, I was pouring sweat, tired, and running uncommonly slowly, which meant I'd be out in the heat even longer than expected if I continued. Plus, the path on the other side of my car is not very shaded, and the idea of jogging in full sunlight was not appealing. So, I decided I was done. :)

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:40 pm

Did a walk last night and a shorter one this a.m. plus walking while I shop today for exercise.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:56 am

I am slowly getting myself centered again and gaining confidence that I am on the right path.

Meal plan continues in its development but it is already invaluable in keeping me on track. Best of all I like every meal, snack, drink in the meal plan and all of them have been measured for correct portions and documented. I have a long way to go before I consider my meal planning system complete but I am enjoying the journey.

Night time binge hasn't happened lately. I am eating fruit before bedtime and it seems to satisfy my cravings.

While battling the night binge eating, I gained weight that had to be lost AGAIN. I am now back at the weight I had previously lost and ready to start from here again.

Weight trend is showing that I am losing 1.38 lbs per week. My goal is to keep the trend going slow and steady.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:17 am

I seem to be losing 1 pound per week. Sometimes it is faster but then I slow down so the average remains no matter what I do. Obviously, counting calories, not the makeup of those calories, is the most important factor. I do find that the main advantage to paying attention to protein and carbs is that it keeps me aware of binge foods (many carbs are binge foods for me) and I feel more full on fewer carbs, therefore am tempted by 'bad' carbs less, when I up my protein.

I'm hovering at a half-pound loss right now so I expect the weight will be down again in the next couple of days. Which takes me to a week after my last reported weight drop. In other words, one pound a week!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:11 am

Kathryn - You are doing AWESOME!! I appreciate you sharing your weight loss journey. You are one of my biggest inspirations.

I forgot to share something that I am trying - Collagen Hydrolysate

I went looking for something simple to boost my protein on those low protein days. I had just tried a mixed drink of amino acid blend that DSon/DDIL are using and thought I might go that way. However, I found too many negative reasons why I didn't want to use the product they are using. After several days/weeks of remaining aware of my need for higher protein on some days, I happened across the collagen Hydrolysate product.

I can't find any significant negative against it except if consumed in large amounts it will result in upset stomach (feeling WAY too full). I have been slowly increasing my daily intake of it and believe it helps. I put it in my drinks and use it for a snack type protein boost. I have allocated 50 calories a day to this product (2 tablespoons) which I spread out throughout the day. That way I don't get overly full and my protein level is replenished.

It is somewhat expensive (IMHO) but it last a long time. I did a quick evaluation of the cost and the result was 35 cents per serving. That is less than the cost of a coke so I'm good with it.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:40 pm

Well, your post got me googling and I agree with your assessment. Apparently regular gelatin will work as well but one runs into the difficulty dissolving it.

I particularly found it interesting with regards to osteoarthritis. At least one double-blind test with very positive results over 24 weeks (not the few weeks a few 'tests' run.)

The results of this study have implications for the use of collagen hydrolysate to support joint health and possibly reduce the risk of joint deterioration in a high-risk group.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18416885

I might look into this (or regular gelatin added to food) after checking with my physiotherapist.

The improved sleep at night makes sense, RamblinRose has already told us to have a high protein snack before bed and this replicates that.

The improved skin is subjective but logical.

The weight loss might be credited to the no eating for 3 hours before bed but if that's the case, a quick test taking it only in the morning upon waking and then eating regularly should prove it doesn't help with weight loss. The numbers given in the anecdotal comments point to the same effect I found when I upped my protein to 25% (actually, I seldom make that so this product would be a way of doing that.)

Anyway, it is 'food for thought.'

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:06 pm

Hmmmm. The Collagen Hydrolysate sounds interesting. I will have to give it a try. Just added it to my A mazon order.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:03 am

I did some chores for part of my exercise and did a walk.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:29 am

Better night's sleep since the toilet wasn't running and I ignored the lightening!

Set an alarm for 8 hours of sleep and it woke me up. Tomorrow I won't set an alarm and see if I sleep longer. According to my sleep record, I had started to stir 5 minutes before the alarm went off.

Return to “Healthy Habits”