Health and Fitness, August, 2015

Share healthy living habits.
Sunny

Re: Health and Fitness, August, 2015

Postby Sunny » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:32 pm

I'd say that overall that's good news, Kathryn!

Lady M, you've had a lot of stress lately, maybe that's part of the no weight loss.

Twins, you've been doing good with keeping your step count up and walking every day. Also the same with you, Nancy. I hope the fires are more controlled so that the air is better for your walking.

I seem to be holding steady at the same weight lately, with a one pound waver up and down. I think I'm ok with that. Several years ago I had mentioned to the Dr. that I wanted to lose some weight and he said not to go under 130 lbs. I still could lose 5 lbs. to reach that goal. I like keeping track of my meals as it helps me not to let go and gain back all I've lost in the last year.

Cheering everyone on who posts and reads here!!!
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness, August, 2015

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:37 am

Back down to 173. So, as I expected, the extra pound was more the damage from the poor food choices on the way home since they were high in sodium fast food and/or cheese.

Yesterday wasn't any great low-sodium day either - a jumbo hot dog with cheese and bacon and popcorn for dinner. But it was all counted and fit within my calories and micro nutrients for the day. And since it was cooked at home, I know for sure there weren't extra surprises (such as the hot dog cooked in grease or way too much cheese and bacon as opposed to my 2/3 oz of cheese and one well cooked and grease patted off piece of bacon.) Also the side was air popped popcorn and cut veggies instead of onion rings or fries, and the drink was sparkling water instead of soda.

Dh doesn't eat a lot of 'bad' things and even when presented with something he likes as a treat, will have just a few bites. He says the first and last bites are the ones that taste the best so he tries to only eat 2 bites, first and last. I'm doing that more and more now so it was just a tiny bit of cheese and bacon over the hot dog instead of the serving I would have received if I had been out. Just a bit of the taste to satisfy but cutting the calories as a result.

Even on the trip, I did that on the few occasions when I had a dessert.

1) I'd take the dessert back to the room with me, instead of having it at the restaurant.
2) I'd cut it in half and only serve myself half of it with a cup of tea to make the dessert last longer between bites.
3) From that half, dh would have one or two bites, which usually left me with 3 - 4 bites.

I had ice cream only twice on holiday because the prices and servings were so large. I love my local self serve frozen yogurt shop because I can have just a 1/2 cup, made up exactly how I want it and pay only a $1.50 instead of $3 - $4 for an ice cream. I missed having amazing ice cream on the trip but couldn't find a place with small servings. As for price, it was 30 cents more for me to have a home made piece of pecan pie than a small soft serve ice cream at one place. So that was an easy choice - I had the pie (over 2 days) instead of too much, uninspired, ice cream.

The two times I had ice cream it was uninspired and too large a serving. The first was cheap and I tossed half the cone after I had my fill. The second was giving away the ice cream for free (they needed to empty the machine to clean it) and I was hungry so ate the whole thing. It was nice to have it but certainly not worth the calories.

Return to “Healthy Habits”