Health and Fitness, August, 2015

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, August, 2015

Postby Harriet » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:03 am

Jane Brody of the New York Times quotes Dr. Michelle Segar, director of the Sport, Health and Activity Research and Policy Center at the University of Michigan as citing a "paradox of self-care", saying:

When we do not prioritize our own self-care because we are busy serving others, our energy is not replenished. Instead, we are exhausted, and our ability to be there for anyone or anything else is compromised. The more energy you give to caring for yourself, the more energy you have for everything else.

Brody goes on to report her own observation, that people who make physical activity a priority don’t necessarily have more time than others. Rather, they make sure to schedule time for it because they know it enhances their performance and the quality of their daily lives.

Segar suggests viewing physical activity as a power source for everything else you want to accomplish.

Welcome! This is a thread about gaining and maintaining strength for our wonderful calling, Homemaking. As we care for our own health, we grow more capable and competent to care for our families, our neighbors and our communities. As we become more effective, our hopes for ourselves and those we care about get the best chance!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness, August, 2015

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:14 am

Harriet: Thanks for starting us off this month!

I ended July at 174. And am probably down a half pound today but only report full pound losses that stick around for 2 readings.

Slept terribly last night due to dh's twitching. My sleep chart is a mess, especially when compared to all the calm nights I had (long runs of what the fitbit calls 'sleep' with brief 'restless' periods (likely REM) and one awake period in the night (for a bathroom break.) Last night my sleep efficiency was 63%, with 11x awake and 23 times restless. The night before was 65% with 1x awake, 16x restless. The night before that was 76% with 1x awake and 12x restless.

At least the charts show overwhelming proof we need separate mattress. It will be interesting to see what the single non-waterbed mattress shows. At one point he was having a dream and twitching (like a dog does!) and that was cause the waterbed to reverberate. Whether a regular mattress would have, I don't know. I hate to get rid of the bed because the warmth of it is good for arthritis, but I can't go on with such terrible sleeps. I get all cranky and feel overwhelmed because it feels like I'm constantly wading through deep mud.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:48 pm

Kathryn ...
We just bought a new mattress and when trying it out I made Sweetie twitch his legs to see if I could feel it. My side did not move. With our old mattress it did.

You can now buy heating mattress pads for beds that work just like a heating pad. It also has duel controls so you don't "cook" your partner is you need to turn it. I thought about buying one when looking for an electric blanket last year but because I like to snuggle down with my blanket and Sweetie doesn't I went with it instead.

Perhaps you are having a problem with sleep apnea and don't realize it. Last year when I had my sleep study done it showed I was suffering from extreme sleep apnea and was given a ccap machine to use. I hated it. However while I was with my dr reviewing my study results I asked if my weight contributed to my problem. She answered ... Most definately. I then asked if I were to loose weight would that address my sleeping problem. Her answer was the same.

Because I hated the machine so much... Aside of looking like an elephant with a trunk, and there's nothing sexy about that....I found it very difficult to get used to. And because sleep apnea contributes to major health concerns... Heart attacks and strokes .. I knew I had to do something to off set it.

That was one of the motivating factors for my decision to loose weight. The results of my weight loss is not only do I look better, but I feel better and have mor energy. AND I believe part of that is I am sleeping better.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:02 pm

I should add it was my PA who wanted me to have the study done. She ran bookoos of test to deal with my achey joints, inability to loose weight and general tiredness. I thought she was crazy because I seldom snored ... Sweetie was my judge. But the test showed some shocking information...like how many minutes a night I quit breathing and for how long.. Really scary stuff.

The information provided by the study helped to explain many of my health issues. Since I've lost those 30 lbs I am feeling much better. And because I remember how I was feeling before my weight loss it keeps me on track not to regain the weight ;)

You are doing really well on your journey. What I like most is how much your attitude has changed. You are so much more positive with your thoughts and I am trilled at your results.

Keep on keeping on ... :D
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:27 pm

Jan. -- (first day of the month weigh-in) 165, exercised 11 days, approx. 11 miles
Feb. -- 165, exercised 5 days, approx. 5 miles
Mar. -- 165, exercised 9 days, approx. 10 miles
Apr. -- 164, exercised 9 days, approx. 13 miles
May -- 164, exercised 12 days, approx. 13 miles
June -- 166, exercised 9 days, approx 10 miles
July -- 164.5, exercised 10 days, approx 12 miles, plus at least two days of additional floor exercise
Aug -- 166

* SHEESH * WHAT IS UP WITH THAT ^^^ ??? Exercise more, log more miles, weigh more. And then TODAY... Oh. My. Goodness. Weight is at 169, I think. (I am not quite 5'4", remember.)
I am really getting frustrated, I cannot seem to control my eating at all, and I'm just really discouraged.
At least I have two hopeful thoughts...
1. This today may be a fluctuation b/c of the steroid shot Friday. Maybe I will level out again in a few days.
2. Since getting the shot, I feel better than I did mid-week when I quit exercising again, so maybe I can get back on track. I was doing much better until the allergies hit hard last week.
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:48 pm

lucylee, great job on keeping up activity, on keeping records, and on not gaining any weight. And thanks because somehow your post had reminded me I needed another pint of water today, so I got that.
My take on your steady weight would be that exercising is something that more directly benefits fitness, and eating/diet more directly benefits weight. Your stamina is likely up because of your walking, and you're probably fitter. To add in weight loss, you'd need to add in habits aimed for it.

You're a smart cookie so you know what some might be. Right now I'm doing the protein breakfast (with some kind of veggies) 30 minutes or so after arising again. (proven to help curb later sweets cravings, and to help with avoiding late night eating)
The timing is tough for me because I have a lot of good a.m. habits that I consider too important to push back, and don't want to give up. But lately with some planning, I've been able to eat about 35 or 40 minutes after arising, which is a success in my case (with thyroid med timing, too).

The phone rang this morning when I was taking my plate to the table. :roll: I took bites between sentences!

Of course, this conflicts with the advice that exercising on an empty stomach ("in the fasted state") is also good for you. You can't have it both ways, or at least I can't with my other priorities. So for a while at least, I've abandoned fasted-state exercise and will see how I feel about this new tack.

Your numbers sound great, Kathryn.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:14 am

I did 20 min. On the gazelle this afternoon and walked after dinner.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:47 pm

Yesterday I was 173 when I weighed myself for the last time for 4 weeks so I logged that in MFP this morning.

So far the eating carefully is going well but sooner or later I'll run out of leftovers and fresh food prepared before leaving home!

I 'made' ice tea today for lunch. Ordered a tea at Tim Horton's (a coffee shop) but had them use my tea bag (decaf tea) and they also gave me a cup of ice. Once the tea steeped, I poured it over the ice and it was fair. Better than giving in to a soda but not nearly as good as it was at home.

I have a kettle with me, so tonight I'll make up a batch of tea before bed and put it in the fridge in the room (assuming I have a fridge!) That will be colder. If I can get ice tomorrow at lunch I'm sure I'll enjoy the tea more.

In Canada I have never seen ice tea plain as you get in the southern US. Although Tim Horton's sells steeped tea and specialty teas, and ice cappuccinos, the only ice tea they sell is from Pepsi bottlers and is heavily sweetened and has lemon added to it. I'd rather have a Pepsi or Dr. Pepper than drink that. But plain ice tea is lovely and I prefer it to the calories of soda or the non-taste of water. And since I make mine with decaf tea, it doesn't have caffeine.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:09 pm

Where is Starbucks when you need them, Kathryn? They have wonderful shaken iced tea in many flavors which you can order without sweetener. I love the shaken black iced tea, unsweetened.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:54 pm

RunKitty, thanks for the tip about Starbucks although I won't find one in this province once I leave St. John's (and possibly not here either.)

Struggling here. But still trying to track. I need to measure more often, especially at meals in restaurants. I do measure when I'm in a hotel room or even the car.

Return to “Healthy Habits”