Health and Fitness, August, 2015

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, August, 2015

Postby Nancy » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:09 am

I walked yesterday. Hot today will do ex. Bike today or some thing else like the gazelle.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:08 am

I'm up a few pounds... Some of it due to my recent trip with my son.
Walked this morning at five and got in a few miles. Way too hot for me to join my fitness group later this evening. They are still doing much of their training outside, but it is way too hot for me. I'll do some weights later today at home.

Eating low carb no sugar and focusing back on my plan. Tracking and recording my carbs.just need to make sure I get my water in

As long as the scale reading drops I'll be happy. Certainly have done this before so I'm not too worried about it. Just need to stay focused and keep on keeping on.

Tomorrow morning I do my Friday hike. I'm ready for that ;)
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:24 am

Nancy and Ramblin', I regret that the heat/humidity keeps me inside so much. For one thing, it would be nice to get more sun, but not when it is exhausting and draining. If I give it a few weeks, I guess, some change will start. Then pretty soon I'll be wishing for warmer weather! :D

I did get out in the sun this morning.

helia, I'm happy for you, that your trip seems to have aided in weight loss.

This morning I did a 30-minute DVD floor workout. Lots of stretching, but also many leg lifts of various types. I really don't care for those. Bothers me more on one side that another - not sure why. Lying on the side it's hard to get that hip (?) I'm lying on comfortable. Other than those with leg lifts, though, I really enjoy morning floor workouts. They don't require the flexibility standing workouts do, and my lower back doesn't object much. So I can get exercise done earlier.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:33 am

I'm doing my best to balance enjoyment of food, difficulty getting healthy food and following healthy eating as best as I can.

I certainly feel thinner when I look at myself in the mirror. And I check in daily to MFP but have given up counting everything because it takes so much time to enter everything into the program especially with slow internet. Oh, and I have no idea whether the stuffed chicken breast I had is equal to the one in the data base. On the other hand, it gave me the idea that moose burgers are a good choice (I thought they were lean and turns out they are.)

Only have internet access in the evening and having to get my travelog written means I just don't have time for MFP or my fitbit although it automatically updates. My sleep started off very well (over 75%) but has dropped to under 65% for the last few days. Dh and I are both uncomfortable in some of these beds.

I'm doing my best with my physio but miss every second or third day. I do stretches before leaving bed in the morning and that helps a lot in the morning.

Just thought I'd update you all to give you an idea of how I haven't been able to practice what I preach while traveling.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:41 am

I am still trying, but get discouraged because I am losing/gaining the same pounds over and over. When I get out of my routine, I gain weight. When I stay in my routine, I lose weight.

It seems to take forever to get things set up, but I am making almost daily progress. I now have about 30 breakfast menus that meet my <300 calorie goal. I enjoy have a variety of menu plans and rotate between them. Another one of my goals is to tweak each one of them until they are as tasty & healthy as I can make them. I enjoy the ease of making breakfast when the ingredients, serving size & other decisions have been made and documented. I am now recording how each of the breakfast menus affect my blood sugar.

I am also working on lunch & supper menu plans. They are much more involved because of the wider variety. There are over 400 kinds of vegetables! Although I don't eat all 400 of them, there are still a large number that I do eat and enjoy.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:32 am

I am still trying, but get discouraged because I am losing/gaining the same pounds over and over.

Yes.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:56 pm

I'm staying at a hotel named after Dr. Grenfell, a doctor who brought a medical mission ship to this area to provide the people in the outports with doctors. He also started a hospital here (in fact this building is surrounded by buildings belonging to the hospital. Historic documents and artifacts are all over the hotel, including an old-fashioned doctor's scale in the lobby. I weighed myself and it says 172 fully dressed, at night, including keys in my pocket! Since I was 172, nekkid and first thing in the morning when I left, I think I might still be losing weight even though I'm not eating all that well.

Woot!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:16 pm

Sounds promising, Kathryn!

Last evening, Friday, I did the standing DVD called "senior". It's kind of intense and picky-picky about form. It's actually an hour and 7 minutes, but there's a 45 minute version at a faster pace.

I'm trying to choose wise "Weeklies" times to exercise, and noticing that it's social things that I need to work around. In case the weekend becomes so social that I never get in any exercise, Friday evening is a good time to make sure I get a long workout under my belt. I had already decided that Monday needs to be a consistent day for exercise, since I'll almost always be anxious to get back to healthy habits on a Monday. If I could absolutely schedule long workouts those two days, that would go a long way toward consistency, no matter how the shorter workouts had to be sprinkled into the week.

Consistency is the thing.
As LadyM says, routine. Smiling at Twins' Mom pulling out that quote. Yes.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:46 pm

Did my walk to night smoke is a bit better.
Sunday nite walked w a friend.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:30 am

Down past my first weight goal and now working on my next. Want to reach it before I leave on vacation with Sweetie next week.

Went to my exercise class Sat at 8 in the morning. We are in a warehouse in progress and there is no a/c. I was able to do most is the class but it was almost 100* by that time. I had to pace myself for sure and did my almost 3 mile run .... Broken up to 400 meters each time... In the shade. This girl is no fool ;)

Yesterday I worked out at home. Did weights and five miles on my gazelle. My mini-triathlon is in less than two months so I need to stay focused.

Went to my class this morning which was at five. It is very difficult as I don't have the strength I need to complete everything, but my trainer is very encouraging and helpful. We're both in a learning situation as he has never trained someone my age. I may not be able to keep up with everyone yet... They have 6 months more of training than me, but I work hard and don't whine or quit. Once the temps drop or he gets a/c I will be able to do more
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Return to “Healthy Habits”