Health and Fitness, August, 2015

Share healthy living habits.
Ramblinrose

Re: Health and Fitness, August, 2015

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:38 pm

Thanks RunKitty, you're right and the main reason I watch it.

Helia... EWL is a TV program called Extreme Weight Loss. Chris Powell and his wife are trainers who just happen to live less than a mile from me are trainers. They take on clients who are extremely overweight and work with them for a year.They address the clients eating and his/her life habits.

For the first three months the client spends time at a health clinic in CO. First they are evaluate by docs. For health issues and then send three months learning how to eat and exercise correctly. The next three months they are sent home to take what they have learn and use it.

If after 9 months they have lost 40-45% of their body weight then they have earned skin-removal surgery.

Some of the clients have amazing stories that have contributed to their extreme weight... Physical and sexual abuse, the loss of a family member such as a partner or child, some sort of huge tragedy in their lives...Chris believes those issues have to be addressed in order for what he refers to as "transformation" to occur.

Somehow I fell into a group that he backs. And in many of my meetings these successful clients come and speak to us. It's very informal so it becomes personal for many of us.

One of the Clients is living here. Sara who looks like a midget... She's 4.5 feet... Lost over 135lbs. and we've become friends. I train with her and we do races like the Spartan together along with several others. She has gone on to compete int the Spartan Super... 10-13 miles and 30 obsticles...and the Super Beast... 12-15 miles and 33-35 obsticles.. Several times. She has also run a marathon.

I like to tease her because with her little legs her foot stride is half of mine which means instead of running 26 miles she really ran 52.

One of the main trainers of the clients in the show lives here and it is who I am working with. When I first started working with Jason that I as most likely the oldest person he had trained... He laught at me and said he didn't think so. When I asked him how old these people were he told me ... 55.... To which I got to laugh and said... I'm 65. To say he was flabborgasted is an overstatement ;)

You can watch episodes of EWL on You tube or on their website.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:21 pm

I did 10 mi. On ex bike today.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:55 pm

Last night I read from http://fedup.com.au/ newsletter. I think I know where I've been going wrong. Too much of things I could once do a little of. Somehow they became 'ok' in my brain. Well they may have been contributing to how I am now, so will take time to check that out.
Rethinking my chia seed too. Heres hoping that I can copy those who have turned around arthritis by staying away from intolerances. I might need time on that one.
Will have to feel my way.
Found the name of a somewhat local doctor who is supposed to know of such things. Plotted the course there on google maps. My query will be can he understand my need for additional things I avoid.
I'd lost 4k by missing meals fairly often. Feeling slightly off is offputting, and is a sign of some foods that aren't right for me. I'm definitely not wanting to lose another 4k.
Found also that 'old eggs' have more amines, so that may have been the trouble there. Need to buy 6 i/l 12. Putting eggs to use in pancakes/'flat bread' back would bring more variety to regular meals. Oh hate questioning use of bananas. I'll need special trial on them. They are a once a day item. Though their flavour seems to be 'off' so that might be a sign. (anything that you eat a heap of can be questionable, especially if you get withdrawals from it. See newsletter)
Interesting (not from fedup site)
suggestion that some tick bite causes certain red meat allergy, and weird intolerances develop. Beef and to lesser extent lamb had been causing gum infection for me.
I've gone well getting off mainstream toothpastes with loads of nasties. Need to see if I can find plain one w flouride as atm mine has none. I saw a suggestion there to check out.
They (council) put flouride in the water though, for what that is worth. I see now some places in US are reducing the dose in water supply.

Sun screen is still interesting. Finding out what is without nanos (that eats the paint of steel) seems impossible. I think I'll keep out the sun as much as I can.
The use of nanos elsewhere in food chain seems scary to me.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:18 am

Lynlee, toothpaste - I am not sure about which of the toothpastes to use, and in fact I actually use two different ones every other time, thinking maybe I"ll avoid some problems. Right now alternating Crest with Jason's, which is a more natural brand carried by the healthy food store here, but still not perfect. Col gate Total in the U.S. still contains triclosan, although I believe it does not contain it in Australia. No other toothpaste in the US contains it any more. I'm worried enough about that ingredient that I just don't use any Col gate product.

eggs - what about finding a local flock and buying as fresh as you can from them? That might be a nice treat to give yourself sometime.

You and HRH would commiserate with each other about trying to eat right when there are so many things to avoid, and several overlap. There are times when he complains there is nothing left to eat.

HRH watched the movie "Fed Up" (2014) today and wouldn't have anything to eat for supper except whole grain rice and green beans. Sigh.

He recommends the movie, btw, which is really an indictment of how we eat and how we fall into the sugars traps. I didn't find anything in it that I haven't been reading to him from books for several years, but he responds to visual/film much more than to books.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:09 am

Waving to Harriet
I'd suggest HRH look at the website fedup.com.au
Its a whole different movement. (I just watched the trailer)
Its all the stuff/chemicals in the food with the sugar that is the biggest problem. All in all, sugar with (supposedly tasty) chemicals and fat, are designed to be addictive , and interfere with brains and bodies.
I just reread the factsheet on artificial sweeteners too, and there can be serious problems with those too.
That said - I avoid sugar as much as possible too.
Page 2 of the newsletter had the address of the US/Canada fedup FB community. Though a web search might be easier to find it.
What the fed up movie said about big food businesses owning the field of what is in or out is true though. Hey they vote nothing out.

toothpaste not sure whats in US. I gave up on all big name brands. no flavour, mint etc.
here's the info for you.
http://fedup.com.au/factsheets/support- ... toothpaste

USA Failsafers have recommended the following toothpastes:

Cleure Original (no flavour) http://www.cleure.com/Best-Sensitive-Te ... /den01.htm - thanks to Emma

Xlear Spry Tooth Gel with Xylitol, Original Flavor - Ingredients: Purified water, Xylitol, Calcium glycerophosphate, Cellulose gum (thickening agent), and Grapefruit seed extract (as a preservative). http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00181 ... rprdcts-20 - thanks to Elise
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:06 am

Yesterdays exercise was short walk loading and unloading donations.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:11 am

I've been making my own tooth paste with baking soda and salt and I like the results. Sometimes I take a dab of arm and hammer toothpaste, put it on my toothbrush and then dip it into my homemade. It works really well. My dentist told me the best mouthwash to use is the blue listerine. I have gingivitis and it keeps it under control.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

helia

Postby helia » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:19 am

I have sensitive teeth, so I use sensodyne. I use very tiny amounts. I also floss religiously. I just can't go out in public if I know there might be stuff hidden between my teeth somewhere.

I sometimes use Jason brand for deodorant. There's another natural brand I might use; we moved the whole family away from deodorants with aluminum after our dfriend I've mentioned before was diagnosed with ALS.

I try to eat as healthy as possible, but I don't have a lot of time to do research on what is the best way to eat. Also, I don't have any issues regarding food. I am quite healthy (as far as I know - at least I don't have any major health issues), and my body isn't very sensitive/fussy about things. It is also true that I am not above an occasional splurge of unhealthy food. . . . :roll: I have developed a taste for more hearty breads and crackers over time. I do eat some sugar (I always put some in my tea), but I try not to overdo it. I don't do sweeteners, though I've heard stevia? is natural, without the chemicals some others have. Also, I do eat some processed foods but not a huge amount - not b/c of any health initiative, but just because I'm trying to keep my weight down. And I like to cook from scratch for my family as much as possible. Summer is a great time for fresh vegetables and lots and lots of fruit!

That is interesting that you are rubbing shoulders with trainers and clients from the EWL show, RRose.

I jogged this morning, and my pace is recovering. WW said I was down another 0.4 lb yesterday, though I then proceeded to not eat too well the entire day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:37 pm

The Spry products Lynlee mentioned - can't believe I forgot those. They are also at our healthy foods and vitamin stores here and we've enjoyed them for years. My children have gotten the chewing gums for treats, and I have given the packages of kid's training-toothbrushes with toothpaste at baby showers.

This morning I did the 20-minute floor workout with all the good stretching. My back had bothered me after a lot of fabric cutting and machine sewing, and I really think that made me feel better.

helia, I enjoy stevia when sweetening any drink for myself like a coffee, for instance. Have also appreciated it single dishes for myself such as oatmeal or the flax muffin Ramblin' and I have discussed here. HRH and dd remain skeptical, convinced they find it to have a recognizable taste. I only taste sweetening and don't distinguish anything but positive about that, so I like it fine. I wonder if they are remembering the truvia brand I had first bought, which had other ingredients besides natural ones.

Dd got me an egg mcmuffin this a.m. It reminded me that I could certainly do well by going back to the very low-sugar eating for a while. (Of course, during that time, I would refrigerate the mcmuffin and have it for a later meal so that I didn't start out a day with bread.)

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:33 pm

Took a short walk.

Return to “Healthy Habits”