Health and Fitness, September, 2015

Share healthy living habits.
Harmony

Re: Health and Fitness, September, 2015

Postby Harmony » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:21 pm

Thank you everybody for all the tips. I am enjoying the conversation about this topic. I am still :roll: about the whole thing because drs. want us so low and I've also read that is unhealthy because our brains actually need cholesterol. I've read that since they were telling everybody no butter, and most went to oleo or margarine, heart disease did not go down, it went up! So what to believe is the issue.

I also think sometimes about our situation here. We have no family in this town. In an emergency, we are on our own. I also think about DH, who, as good a person as he is and as hard-working, is not the type to take on caregiving issues. (And I suppose part of that is my own fault for being proud). So, would I rather have cholesterol medicine side effects (loss of muscle and inability to get up if I fell, etc.) or a bad heart? Yeah, I know that thinking is a bit skewed. But I do think about stuff like that.

About eating out...I'm out quite a bit but I don't care if I'm hungry unless my blood sugar is getting low. I'd rather come home and eat then. I often try to eat a couple spoonfuls of cottage cheese (fat free) on my way out if I know I haven't eaten and will likely be hungry while out. Dinners - well I'll bet we only eat out a couple times a year for dinner. We got out of that habit when the economy went south. I have a stack of gift cards people gave us for gifts that I use once in a while for a special occasion. We are usually so busy that to stop and get cleaned up and dressed to go is more work than just throwing something together to eat, then getting cleaned up and putting pj's on.

Today so far I had a small bowl of cheerios unsweetened with skim milk. When I got home I had a tuna fish sandwich on whole wheat toast, did have mayo in it but a whole bunch of cut up celery. Then I had a handful of blueberries. I am staying out of the ice cream and away from the cookie jar.

I love tomato juice. I wonder if that's as good as V8? I'll bet I could do a little of that if I did it early in the day. It's a lot to think about, isn't it.

Incidentally, my dsmil told me she thinks she is getting muscle aches from the lipitor she was put on 6 months ago. :(

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:46 am

Poor sleep last night. I'm experimenting with no advil before bed (now that I've read that it hastens both 'halo' vision and cataracts.) The past two nights I was fine, but last night I should have taken it.

Since stopping it, my wrist, upper back and right shoulder have started to hurt. Not sure if that's from sleeping in strange positions to deal with knee discomfort from the lack of advil, or if it is something new. I remember hurting my wrist when I tried to open pickle and condiment jars on Friday night but that was a long time ago.

Slept in my wrist splint last night and perhaps that added to the unsettled sleep. Dh was also awake from 2:30 to 5:30. My deep sleep happened both before and after then.

Anyway, I feel like I wasted 9 hours in bed since I still didn't get the 6 hours of deep sleep I was hoping for.

On the other hand my weight is down this morning for the first time in a month (not exactly, it was up and down but this time dropped lower than my previous low.)

So I guess I'm back on track. I'm sure, as the one-year anniversary approaches next spring, I'll regret basically taking August and September off the weight loss path. On the other hand, I have had a couple of months to get used to not being obese and letting my brain's impression of my size catch up with my actual size. There are, at least, 31 pounds left to go and I've only lost 21 in the first 6 months, therefore it will take more than a year to get to my goal weight and I need to let go of my date goal.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:30 am

Kathryn, you've done so well on this journey - think of this as a plateau and part of learning how to eat and exercise well for yourself.

I have dropped to my lowest weight since before we went to NY for the wedding on Labor day weekend. Still not even out of the obese range but loss of three pounds would tip me under the "obese" range of 30.0 for BMI.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:53 pm

Kathryn, you and Twins have both done well. I am so envious. I can't focus on this enough to make progress. I have no mental ability to do so.

Just the added worry about my sodium and cholesterol (together with the ever present nagging lose-the-weight thoughts I live with) is so...well there are no words. I've always said weight loss and health begins in our brains and thought processes. If I can't get a grip on that I'll never get a grip on the physical health part. And right now I have no idea how to do that.

I tried to change my diet, get back on a better track, and it almost put me over the edge. Well, that's a bit dramatic but you get the picture.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:54 pm

Visualizing reaching goals - In dr's waiting room today, read Jan issue Good Housek. Jillian M interviewed, suggests draw your own personal pyramid that looks like the old usda food pyramid in its spacing. At small top space, write in your exact long-term goal. (not necessarily fitness related - your goal) Next space, your partial goal toward it to reach by the end of the upcoming month. Next your partial goal by just the end of the upcoming week. The next few spaces would be for certain days in the coming week, with a few specific activities that will help toward it. Last, for the big foundation space, the things you can do today to get started and hold yourself accountable.

Also, suggests you journal on the subject of what are things like for you after you have met your goal. What's different, what have you needed to get used to, how does it feel to own this goal success - get used to the idea of having it.

She says the answer to "what if you do nothing" about a goal is not "nothing" as most people think, but instead there will always be a result of doing nothing.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:15 am

My exercise was painting yesterday. Today and all week.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:56 pm

Ahh Nancy, I well remember my house painting and roofing days; especially in the summer humidity and heat.

My triathlon is in10 days. Last night my friend and I swam 500 meters...in the race we only have to swim 400. Have had my bike services and it is ready to go. I plan to train with my friend tommorw night. We did 10 miles the other night and the race requires 12. Know we can do that so we just want to practice a bit more.

We are not in the race to place, we're in it to finish. That is what is important to us. This sat or Sunday or both, depending on the heat I have a 7.3 mile hike in the mt planned. I've done this one many times before so I know what to expect. Starting time is 6:00 in the morning. This is the way we try to beat the heat.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:46 pm

Cheering for the success!!

I am trying to discover how many calories I can eat and lose weight. Sounds easy but it has proven to be more difficult than I expected. I can not eat the number of calories given by MFP or Fitbit apps and lose weight. I have proven that. Today I have 882 calories still available to eat but know if I eat them that my weight will go up.

I have the number of steps tied to the number of calories I can eat. I will try turning that off and see how it goes.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:00 am

LadyM, I can't eat like they say to and lose weight either. I guess I'm too sedentary. Too many hours at my desk.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:07 am

I do seem to be losing very very very slowly since I am getting in more steps. I'm meeting my calorie goals many days this week, as opposed to last week when I was over, or so obviously over that I just stopped counting after lunch. :o

For the moment I am on track.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Return to “Healthy Habits”