Health and Fitness, September, 2015

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, September, 2015

Postby Nancy » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:49 pm

What is better for low carb no cooking breakfast than raisen bran? I need sugestions for hubby.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:29 pm

If he still wants cereal, switch him to something like shredded wheat and have him add his own sugar. Fresh fruit instead of raisins. That will lower sugar (but not carbs) and still give him a cereal. I understand his not wanting to shift since I crave cereal in the morning, so mine is 1 serving of shredded wheat, (not mini-wheats or shreddies since they have sugar, and I put 1/2 cup of blueberries and a cup of milk), plus a teaspoon or so of cinnamon sugar.

My breakfast has 72 carbs and 25g of sugar (half from the milk, half from the fruit.) It also has 10 grams of fiber. So from a carb point of view it is as bad as raisin bran but it has less sugar.

If you are going to switch to something other than cereal, then eggs, bacon, ham, cheese fit the bill. I think LadyM has a low-carb french toast she does.

I've found none of the regular low carb things satisfy me so I stick with my cereal and have the low carb 'breakfast' foods as lunch in place of a sandwich.

So my day is loaded with carbs in the morning but by bedtime they are down to 45% of my daily calorie intake.

Historically, 'breakfast' was typically leftovers from the night before so meat and veggies along with breads. In northern Europe, a breakfast buffet still contains sliced meat, cheese, pickles, cut veggies along with rolls or thick bread (not toast.) Which, aside from the bread, is pretty low carb.

I recommend you get on MyFitnessPal and track carbs that way. If you use their app, it tracks percentages for you automatically. If you use a browser, you have to add something to your browser (google tracking carbs in MFP for the hack that allows you to do so.)

It was once I started tracking protein (and thus carbs went down) that I started to lose weight more quickly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:58 pm

Deviled eggs or hard-boiled eggs made the day before, and ready in the fridge?

Yesterday I did 20 minutes of floor exercise.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:42 pm

Looked up low-carb breakfast foods and came up with some pretty dubious suggestions. The comments section was hilarious "Do you even know what a carb is?!" since they were subbing in things with carbs like fruit, sweet potato and other some grains.

And a lot were variations on eggs. You can't really say here are 4 low carb breakfasts when there will be a fritatta, omelet, scrambled eggs, all with cheese and leftover veggies and the imaginative one is eggs, leftover veggies and cheese mixed up and poured into the waffle maker. We are talking the same thing, with slight variations of cooking method but the flavour won't change much so it isn't really 4 different breakfasts.

Oh, and I'm not sure about other people but my leftovers are all accounted for so it isn't like I can just grab some leftovers from the fridge, they represent my lunch or a dinner so suddenly dinner prep becomes more labour intensive in order to have leftovers for breakfast.

I did come across a cream cheese pancake recipe that I'll try. Apparently they are delicious even if they aren't really a pancake.

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01 ... cakes.html

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:52 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Hubby is willing to try a granola bar instead of cereal. Or bran flakes raisens really make the sugars go up. Dsgson made up some sausage egg cheese burrittos ahead and froze them. I might try that with turkey sausage. I to use left overs in omlettes for lunch.

Walked in segments again today.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:01 am

Came up with a few tweaks to shopping list and. Eal and menu ideas.
h will not be getting creamer that has sugar as he drinks a lot of that. I will buy eggs bc he sells all extras and wants more. :roll: They will be for turkey sausage egg cheese wraps to make up ahead. Continue to get sug. Free puddings for lunches.

I will make wraps instead of baking cookies for an activity in the kitchen.
Some will have tky. ham and or sliced sauage dogs in for a change. These may be for lunches too bc they have a mic. At work time will tell. Plau they are portable.

We will use up the on hand cereal as I come up with these other ideas. :idea: Hens love raisen bran too! Sh-h don't tell h. Lol!

Go back to getting smaller frozen meat pies or make an alternative on crock pot.( Hens love those too.) Or Maybe the neighbors can use em.

Store bougtht chicken wraps might work in a pinch and they did not bother me last night. Could use pizza pockets occosionally too.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:12 am

Okay I can do this one week at a time.
1. Sausage dog & cheese wraps.
2. Turkey Sausage & 2 cheese wraps.
3. Tky. Ham & cream cheese wrap.
4. Pizza pockets.
5. Chicken wraps.
6. Eggs & cheese wraps.
7. Veggie omlette.

8. Deviled egg w muffin sausage gravy.
9. Bacon & eggs.
10. Granola bar.

helia

Postby helia » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:24 pm

I jogged Monday and today. Monday, I was able to do 2.25 miles in 30 minutes. Today, it took me almost 31 minutes to do the same distance. I plan to jog again on Friday. I never got around to weight-training. Maybe tomorrow -- or maybe I start that up next week. This is a busy week with uniform fitting tasks and teaching at the moms group added to work and the regular everyday chores of life. Plus, dh is out of town, so I have less help -- but less work also in regards to cooking.

I was eating pretty well this week - until last night. I was staying up working on my teaching, and I just wanted to eat and eat and eat. Well, I ate the rest of my weekly points. :roll: I will not repeat that tonight.

The scale hasn't told me anything astounding either way this week. WW said I was down 0.7 lb last week. I'm not sure what will happen this week. . .

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:17 am

Using the Voltaren gel before a hike makes all the difference. My discomfort level yesterday was no higher than a regular non-hike day, possibly lower. On Monday I was approaching pain at times. Bonus - this is less hard on my entire body since it is applied where the pain is rather than ingested.

Up and at it this morning and looking forward to light hikes today, one or two very short ones and then an urban hike as we go from the train station to the hotel.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:33 am

My weight actually dropped yesterday, despite being on the road and having a slice of pizza for lunch and then a W hopper Jr and small fries for supper. I did drink a lot of water/unsweet tea along the way.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Return to “Healthy Habits”