Health and Fitness, September, 2015

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, September, 2015

Postby Harriet » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:59 pm

helia, it is interesting to me that you even notice that minute of difference, although I get that you are in competition with yourself. If a butterfly flapping its wings can make a difference in the world :) , I'd think almost any little glitch along the way could change your time. Are you listening to anything as you run? Does the beat of recorded music verify the same time of running from day to day at all? Or, a recording of your own voice telling you what you are passing (not much talking of course - just one-word landmarks) could insure in your mind you were "making the same time" as whatever day you made the recording, at least. Can you and RunKitty tell I know nothing about running? Odd or obvious ideas, probably.

Today was an 800-calorie day. I fasted through the a.m. very comfortably and had a flax muffin with raspberries for late lunch, with coffee, cream. Later one barbeque sandwich with slaw and a Zevia cola. 3 additional pints of plain water today.

Yesterday, I had had too many calories because dstepson was here and I ate the leftover spaghetti with him, plus he had brought me a biscuit, and I was just rushed because of a lot going on, etc., so made some fast and dubious decisions otherwise. That's okay when a day goes that way, I just need to be aware and rein it in the next.

Workout was the rest of Total workout, so that hour of essentials is under my belt for the week, so far added to another workout Monday. Will definitely want to work out tomorrow. But a lot going on. We'll see.

dd17's favorite weight lifting video

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:26 am

Harriet's dd, :lol:

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:15 am

Just to record it here in H&F, I've been released from physio therapy. Jessica doesn't think she can do anything more for me. She does recommend I join a recovery yoga class to work on more strength and flexibility and to keep hiking because of the strength I get from that as well as the balance.

I notice the balance way more, both on the balance board at physio but also that my limp is much, much, less so my footfall sounds almost even when I'm not overtired or having just got up from a sitting position. I'm also starting to push with my left leg (the right leg used to do all of the work and my left leg would just swing forward and land but I didn't really propel myself forward with it.)

I now can stand for a minute on only my 'bad' leg and almost as long on my good leg. My right foot was the plantar faciitis foot and I think it lost the strength in the muscles to balance myself so ironically that is my bad side for standing on one foot. But that's coming along as well.

helia

Postby helia » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:58 am

LOL at Harriet's dd fav video! :)

I use a Garmin running watch, Harriet, so I know at any point in my run how far I've gone, how much time I've been running, and my pace for the current mile. I believe the pace tracker changes with each mile. . . . If I'm only running for 30 minutes, another minute feels quite significant. It's interesting to know it doesn't sound so significant to others.

I do listen to music while I run! It's essential for me as it distracts me from the discomfort, especially early on (first 8 or so minutes) before my body has adjusted to the activity. My playlist is very short, though, and I'd like to add more music to it. After my little ipod broke, someone (dh?) got me a Sony SanDisk. I really like it. I like that it is so very small, and I can clip it to my shorts/pants if I don't have a pocket. Its battery stays charged much better than my ipod's did too.

WTG, Kathryn! I'm so glad the physio and the hiking are helping!

I haven't jogged since Friday, but I'm planning to go today. I'm waiting for it to warm up to the 50s first. I'm kind of a wimp, though I could just put on more clothes. The scale said 146.5 this morning, so it's not really moving much -- but I'm also eating most of my weekly points. I need to get out of that routine -- except I honestly feel hungry and sometimes carrots just don't do it for me. I'm out of town on Friday so I'm hoping to go to WW tomorrow.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:52 am

Got my walk in yesterday. Did one today as well. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:07 pm

Up to 6500 steps already today. I tried to stay close to Chief at the dog park in case be wasn't playing nice, so I did a lot of walking. My weight has not budged at all - of course I ate very badly last night when dkids did a Sonic run. I suspect that all the additional exercise will pay off if I can eat a little better. Of course, tomorrow is super weird because we fast all day, then have a massive "break the fast" at temple. Will be hard to track because it's a few bites of this, a few bites of that.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:00 pm

Chief chat - I think also with the addition of a new pet, there is a lot of laughter, which is very healthy. And there's a feeling of caring for someone new/uncertain, providing. That gets the old endorphins in there pitching, as well, and gives a sense of belonging that runs both ways.

Kathryn, good job on your progression, passing another landmark in your plan. Change is good. Doesn't mean it's not uncomfortable to give up what's been positive for us, though.

Starting last evening and finishing this morning, I "read" a 90-minute t-tapp seminar on DVD. As opposed to a workout, part was instruction without any movement at all, part was strenuous workout "how-tos". So the muscles definitely felt it, but the whole 90 minutes wasn't all exercise. Did you know that, if you'd like to engage the abdominal muscles without calling attention to yourself (maybe to give the tummy a flatter appearance in public), you can do this more easily by standing with knees slightly bent, and then lifting the big toes? Of course, you still have to work the abdominal muscles, but the toe-lift will start the movement and help to engage them, and you won't look like you moved.

I evidently had more salt (?) than I thought yesterday. Weight popped up.
This morning I had my whole-foods shake to counteract that.

Lunch - Went with HRH to his blood work appt and then we swung by WFoods healthier grocery that we don't visit often. We each got a to-go plate of their buffet-style newly prepared items, and had lunch together at home. I decided on a chicken leg, sweet potato, collard greens and macNcheese. Not perfect but real. HRH had said he was thinking about fast-food as a reward to himself for getting stuck rather unceremoniously (ouch) :( but he decided "I should be a better person than that." :)

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:27 pm

Hiked for 2:47 today and am very, very sore now! When I first get up, I'm hobbling but movement returns after I'm moving for a bit.

At over 10K steps for the day. Will probably go to bed early this evening in order to rest. Water intake will go up a bit more tonight. At this point, I'm not interested in drinking any more and haven't had a lot yet today, just 8 glasses of liquid.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:15 pm

Have been reading here just not posting. Don't really have much to say. Labs from dr. are not good. I have work to do and other stuff. Cholesterol panel is high, sodium and chloride is low for which they either change the med I'm on or limit my fluid and see if that would work. I don't know where I'm going with all this.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:25 pm

I have spent my energy doing yd wk pruned suckers off some trees in back yd after transplanting 2 roses and cleaning the chickens run.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Healthy Habits”