Health and Fitness, October 2015

Share healthy living habits.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness, October 2015

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:56 pm

Harmony, if you drink something like Brisk lemonade (don't even know if that's a brand you can get in US) that has a fair bit of sodium, no caffeine and has only 110 calories per can (instead of 150 for Pepsi, for example.)

Or drink things like Gatorade G2 which have salts but only 30 calories.

As for losing weight, take a week to eat regularly and track your food in My Fitness Pal so you can see what you are currently eating and what ratio of fat/protein/carb. Then trying upping the protein to 25% of calories and fat to 30% and see what happens after a week.

MyFitnessPal will track sodium for you too. That will help you make high sodium choices from healthier foods (for example nuts over chips.) Remember lots of healthy foods like spinach, celery, beets, chicken, have sodium in them so you can choose higher-sodium foods that pack a nutritional punch, instead of just adding salt from a shaker. That will help fill your tummy as well as your sodium requirements.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:35 pm

Looked for an alert watch that detects temps like before a low bs but none in town here 3 Rx places did not have em. Picking up the yard was some of my exercise.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:56 pm

Hope you can find something, Nancy.

Had quite a talk with my mobility class instructor this morning. She also teaches a diabetic class that I know I'll pick up in the spring. She did warn me about the low's 60's in the a.m. however. Told me to have that snack at night if I felt it might be too low -but to always have a protein with a complex carb as it lasts better and controls the bs better. Ok, that's something I did not know.

My bloodwork from yesterday came back quite well. Surgeon ordered a lot of tests that I just haven't had before so couldn't really compare but looked like they were all pretty well within standard range. The ones that impressed me were: cholesterol/hdl ration was 1.7, the lowest in 4 years; Total cholesterol 171; HDL 98 -it's been 58-61 since 2011 (this is the "good" cholesterol); LDL (cholesterol alone) is 56 -unbelievable; Triglycerides really got me -they've been anywhere from 169 to 202 -now 84 (woohoo!) And my A1C was 7.1 up from 7.0 in August, but I'm told that's just where they want a diabetic to be. The standard 6.0 or so is too low for me I guess. So I just need to keep doing what I'm doing. Just plugging away.

It'll be interesting what my weight does while I'm laid up. I had been losing and after my falls put back on most of what I'd lost. I'm now down about 11 pounds from early August. Of course I'm not going to be able to walk or exercise for a while so will have to be watchful what I eat.

Perhaps after I recover I can get here more often.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:46 pm

Congrats, Dee, on the good blood work results. Yes, you don't want A1C too low; that is true for my dmom when she was truly diabetic.

I've logged under 180 for three days in a row now so I can say I'm officially not obese anymore, assuming I'm still 5 feet 5 inches tall. :lol: Not going to check on that right now anyway.

I realized today that since I lost just a few pounds I'm not having frequent heartburn and don't need to keep tums around.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:25 pm

I've also noticed my knees really aren't bothering me since I've lost this weight, Twins -though I have quite a ways to go. Think I was 172.2 this morning. August it was 183. Know it has to be doing my blood pressure good as well. Really hoping to get that down!!
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:52 pm

I moved into the 160's this morning. I won't make my half-year goal of 166 (sometime next week) but at least I'm below the 170's now.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:32 am

Congratulations on the successes!

I just finished updating my health tracking and looked at the results for the past week. I found myself frustrated with my failures, but then I decided to look at the success I had this past week. I made four A's!!!!! I scored it like school work

A+ = Sleeping
3 A's - weight, Calories, Sodium
2 B's = Fiber, Fat, sugar
1 D = Water
4 F's = Protein, Carbs, Net Carbs and steps

So this next week I will be putting more focus on Carb/protein ratio and getting steps in. My step count has been low because I have been doing more paperwork (aka sitting). I need to remember when I sit, then I have to add in exercise time to make up for it. Also making sure I am getting enough water. I would really like to have passing grades next week. :)
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:20 pm

WTG, Kathryn. That's wonderful.

I don't really track anything, Lady M, but your grading system sounds fun. I've always been very competitive (with myself) about grades.

Just got a new phone which has an app to track mileage. On work days I average 10 miles a day. On my last day off I just managed one mile. :lol: Obviously, I spend lots of time resting on a day off. :)

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:05 am

Kathryn I appreciate the suggestion. Also have acid reflux can't do lemonade.

At this point I don't know how to eat. I'm afraid of food. I stand in the kitchen and don't know what to make for myself.

skippable

tried to get going yesterday. needed to drop off book due mon at library. couldn't renew online. went down there and spent some time looking for health information. didn't find a helpful book. gave up on that.

went on to wm to get otc stuff. cough syrup for cough that now won't go away. what did they do to me during that procedure? I want to know. need stool softener i guess it's ok to try those. dr. was talking to me as i'm coming out of anesthesia don't remember what all she said. brain still isn't right.

walking around store reading labels trying to figure stuff out. yeah. up sodium. figure out fiber. how much how little i've gotten into trouble both ways. take a phone call give them information place about dh hand surgery wed. how am i going to manage this too i have no idea. take another call, colonoscopy place, dr. is cancelling the follow up appointment. No need to come. will contact me in another 5 years. GEE THANKS. i object with lady on phone. tell her i don't know how to manage this isn't she going to help me with this. don't i get a report? Nothing? oh i have to come sign something for it ok i'll do that.

couple hours on internet. no useful information either. next dr. who tells me not to rely in internet is going to get an earful.

got something i think i can cook for dinner.
came home exhausted. just spent. too much too soon.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:20 pm

I know it was skippable - so is this from my high horse.
They are unprofessional. You are saying you have a concern and need to talk and still your appt is cancelled... ... TELL your primary physician this. Document it.

Why on earth would you have to sign another form when they were supposed to get you to sign HIPAA for them and probably plenty of other signatures - I'm sure you signed whatever they wanted. HIPAA provides for you, yourself, primarily (above all others such as a family member you may also include), to receive your information. Suggesting you have to sign something else before they can inform you means they don't know what they are doing re: paperwork, frankly.

Hey, if you have to make a trip to their office, that's great - why don't you stand there and read through and ask questions at every point you find the least confusion or would like to make a point? I would plant my feet and not leave the spot at which I was handed the report. You could tell them that you were supposed to have an appt, but THEY took that away, which of course saves you money :idea: , and told you to come get the report, so here you are. Ugh.

Return to “Healthy Habits”