Health and Fitness, November, 2015

Share healthy living habits.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness, November, 2015

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:12 pm

Harmony I found getting over my fear of fat grams had to change before lower carb didn't leave me completely unsatisfied. I can't believe how low my diet was before I started upping the protein (and then upping the fat once I figured out that probiotics helped me process it so it stopped making me feel ill when I having recommended quantities.)

I still use air-popped popcorn with butter flavoured spray oil as a filler (it gives me my salty-satisfaction from a carb) and it helps me balance things when the fat gets too high in the day but without blowing my calories.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:20 pm

Back from a 1 mi. walk with E. & a new friend that also walks her dog.
Did the rest of my walk w E. & dgd #3.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:40 pm

Yeah I'm not getting much fat in my diet. I typically don't eat much of that. Now it's even less. Though dsiL left some milk here that is 2% and I am enjoying that in my coffee and had some on my cereal and it is yummy. DH doesn't like it, he hates milk and the skim is acceptable to him because it doesn't taste strong. Funny. Fat on meat though he'll gobble right up if I don't watch him.

What do you all find your weight fluctuates day to day? I go up and down 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. It's discouraging when I think I've lost some and the next day it's back on plus some. :(

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:58 am

Yes, I agree, it is discouraging, Harmony. Though I try to remember that even though it's up today (and it is) that it will soon take a downward trend again as long as I stick with it. Thanks for reminding me! 'Cause it is up the last few days and I keep seeing my Dr's visit looming next Wednesday. Then I remind myself that no matter, I'm still down from where I was 5 or 6 weeks ago.

Weather's too crummy to get out there and walk today. I have to make it a #1 priority when I get to FL.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:04 am

Basically back to where I was two weeks ago before we left on trip. Decent day eating yesterday, even tho I ate at Subway and then Sonic on the run.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:54 am

Aside from when I make ill-advised choices or have external events like air travel which causes my weight to go up, my weight only shifts a small bit from day to day, probably under a pound. Because I don't have a digital scale, those are as much perception as reality since my weight is always an interpretation of what I see on the dial. I step on and off the scale three times in a row, adjusting it back to zero in between, and take the average. The difference in those 3 readings is often a pound.

I gave up on my old digital scale because I figured I didn't need all the 'precision' when it was only being displayed to me, but not actual reflecting the weight (it had a +/- 2 lb precision when I read the manual.)

On my current, dial, scale, I only add losses to MFP if they show up more than 2 days in a row. At the end of October, I was between 167, 168 and 169 but nothing would last more than a day or two. Then Halloween struck (or rather my reaction to open Halloween candy in the house) and I've been between 169 and 170 every day except yesterday I was slightly under 169 and today I'm between 167 and 168. If I'm in the same spot (or lower) tomorrow, I'll log the 168. Not sure I'm quite through my Halloween madness so I can't guarantee I'll have as good a day today as yesterday.

I was over on my calories on Tuesday night but it was a magnificent feast put on by a Native Culinary School and I wanted to taste each course. I had 2 pieces of bannock so probably way too many carbs. There was not any unhealthy food served, and each portion was small (except the bannock was unlimited) so I didn't mind going over because it was not the same as bingeing on chocolate bars or cheese sticks; I was having buffalo meatloaf and butternut squash soup.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:20 pm

Extra pounds are off today. My scale is digital but doesn't change unless it goes .5 or more.

New problem (of course because of my lack of control) DH's newest helper works part time at an all-u-can-eat pizza place. He is allowed to take 1 pizza box full of anything and he brings it to work and gives leftovers to DH to bring home. 2 nights in a row he brought home pizza. It's not saucy so that's good for me and he also puts some flat bread pizzas in there too which is also good because it's the flattest thinnest pizza I've ever seen. But he also includes a bunch of brownies. OOOf. I don't need to be eating this stuff. :evil:

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:09 pm

What do you all find your weight fluctuates day to day?

My weight will change in huge amount from day-to-day. Up 2 lbs. Down 4 lbs. Up down up down continuously. When I was paying attention to my daily weight I was constantly happy or sad over my weight. Now I look at the bigger picture. I use trends on the phone app to even out daily high/lows. I have to dig down into the app to even see what I weigh today. I use excel spreadsheet Average function to even out the up/downs for the weekly view of my weight. My scales automatically records the weight (scales are connected to wifi) and sends it to these apps automatically. I weight daily so the trend/average will be real but there are some days that I don't look at the # on the scale and just let the software do its thing. On those days, I already know it is bad so there is no need to beat myself up more. But I also know that if I quit weighing on those bad days I can become the MASTER procrastinator and keep talking myself out of weighing. I can stick my head in the sand and ignore it........always promising that I will weigh tomorrow after I do better. Weighing daily regardless of how well I am doing keeps me honest with myself and eliminates the option of talking myself out of weighing.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:58 pm

Back from a shorter hike in the field, E. started acting up I dropped the leash she grabbed it headed for home stopping every 50 yards or so looking back (just like in the movies) to make sure that I was following her I took a short cut she beat me home. :mrgreen:

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:25 pm

Over 10K steps for the day, at least.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Return to “Healthy Habits”