Health and Fitness, November, 2015

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, November, 2015

Postby Harriet » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:42 pm

Let's do something healthy with November! There's a 30-day clean slate awaiting us! For many of us, this the month that leads up to the season of more social engagements, more visitors and more acquaintance-renewal than any other time of year! :shock: For others, it's going to be a month of recuperation back to strength, so we're making plans to feel a lot better by it's end! Some have success with plans already in motion. No matter what, we can see a positive change a month from now with a little Habit Forming!

:idea: Can you "put your finger on" the change/trend you'd enjoy seeing over the month? What is it?

:idea: What is the habit(s) that, in 30 straight days (or 15 "every-other-days"), could offer you that change?

If you'd like to, commit with us to the new habit(s) you choose for November and we'll cheer each other on for 30 days!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness, November, 2015

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:38 pm

Hmmmm, I'll need to think on this.

I'd like to be down 5 pounds this month and I think I can do that with increased protein. So I suppose my daily challenge for the month should be protein intake. Make sure I get Xg every single day. I'm going to go do some calculations and see what that number might be. And then figure out some extra sources of protein.

I passed on chicken skewers at Costco today. They were delicious and high in protein (24 g) but were a refrigerator product so weren't suitable for what I had in mind - something quick and simple to grab for extra protein. My protein bars have almost half that but I don't want to depend on them too much, one a day is all I want to be having.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:50 pm

Looking at my food diary, I think setting my goal to be 90g of protein a day will be a reasonable one. Now looking for ways to increase today's intake. This is still well under what the 'high' protein promoters preach but 50% more than the USRDA. It should keep me at 25 - 27% of my daily calories.

I've noticed in the past that when I stay within the recommended calories for me per day (1200 - 1600 depending on my activity level) and eat 25% of my calories as protein, I lose weight fairly quickly (6+ pounds a month.) If I stay at the 25% but eat above that calorie range, say 1700 - 1900, I maintain my weight or lose slowly (i.e. 3 lbs last month which was a poor month for me staying at within my calorie range.)

I just read that with increased protein there should be increase water consumption so I'll have to work on that. I've been struggling to get 8 x 8 of non-caffeinated liquid (and less than half of the is water most days) lately. Not sure why my intake is down - it is cooler outside so that is part of it. Drank 16 oz of hot water so far today plus another 8 of cold water in an effort to keep my cough at bay.

When I am on the treadmill water intake isn't an issue but when I'm doing my walking outside it is because carrying the extra weight of a water bottle is a bother.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:23 pm

Did 1 mi. Walk this a.m. with Ella. After lunch did the other route Round the block and on the next block. Not my fav. Route bc of ths big dogs on that street. Glad we did it after pizza for lunch. & before the game

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:01 am

Reviewing my health tracking from the past week. I am pleased to see my grades improve from the previous week.

2 A+ = sleep & steps
5 A's = Weight, calories, Protein, carbs & net carbs
4 B's = Water, Fiber, sugar & fat
1 C = Sodium

No flunking grade this time! WhooHOOO!

Having too much sodium is my lowest grade this week. It adds up quickly especially with pickled vegetables (dill pickles, pickled okra, sauerkraut, beets, etc). I have started buying canned vegetables with no added sodium.

I am pleased that I am now capturing 99.9% of my food intake in MFP every day. That habit is one that I have been working on for months. I started with only capturing breakfast and have gradually added everything I eat. I have reached a point that I even tracking the food when I am bingeing. Baby stepping here.

I have been rotating between several methods to track my water intake. This past week I started using an app that has a reminder as well as tracking the # of oz. It has been helpful to keep me on track with drinking enough water
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:05 am

Rethinking the protein number. Yesterday I stopped eating at 85g even though there was another 10g on my plate. I was just too full to continue eating. Dinner was over by 5:30, I went to bed at 9 and didn't get my breakfast until 8:30 (chocolate) and 9:30 (cereal) and yet was never hungry at all.

I didn't make my goal of 25% of calories from protein, either. Did make my water goal though because I was on the treadmill for 45 minutes.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:45 am

Kathryn - I am following along on your protein lessons learned with interest.

Last week I averaged 1636 calories per day with a daily average of 94mg of protein. My average weight last week was exactly one lb less than the week before average weight.

However the week before I averaged 1582 calories with an average of 79mg of protein. I gained 1/2 of lb (average weight) from the week before. Eating less calories but I still gained weight?

It is hard for me to grasp that eating 15 mg more of protein a day made that much of difference.
1. Know what you want.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:22 pm

I have changed my entire diet. More sodium, more fiber, less water (just a little) and less calories, higher protein if I can. I am down 3 lbs. and have some success to report with the fiber. Those higher sodium things LadyM is eliminating, I am including. Pickles and olives every day. I don't know if the sodium thing is working though because I've eliminated a bunch of stuff I used to eat that were kinda high sodium in order to get rid of those calories. New spreadsheet to fill in, just blocks to color with highlighter. If I did everything perfectly all month I'd have a completely colored in sheet with a couple numbers in the 2 end columns. The more color I get, the better I'm eating (for me) easy to see at a glance how I'm doing.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:38 pm

Sounds good to me, Harmony. Congrats on those pounds away!

I was able to get out for a couple of strolls today -totaling about 2,400 steps (didn't get my pedometer on till later this afternoon.) Walking felt SO good! Of course the weather is gorgeous. Supposed to last all week.

Trying hard to keep my weight headed downward. I started out in February around 185-186. Now, as of this morning, I'm down to 168.4. I can definitely tell I'm feeling better and my knees are definitely better. I was afraid with the prednisone (even though they're drops) that it might impede my progress. Have to go back to my regular Dr. in about 2 weeks. Have to get a pneumonia shot that day (had my flu shot the Thursday before my surgery). Hoping that my weight is down at least another pound. I'd rather lose it slow and easy and I know it'll last.

Asked me at Dr's today if I did my blood sugar this morning -yes, 78! I think I've pretty well kicked the habit of 'sweets'. I am trying to have a little dark chocolate each day however. Not sure if it's that, the loss in weight or the combination but my blood pressure is finally beginning to look so much better. Was 125/75 this afternoon. The real test will be when I go to the Dr's. I was beginning to worry about addressing the issue of blood pressure, but we'll see if it stays down. Surely hope so.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:20 pm

I am sooo very thrilled for the successes that are being shared here!! POTB!

I visited with the Yoga instructor tonight about tomorrow night yoga class. She is going to bring mats for us to use. DBro called me tonight and wanted to know if I was going to back out. I think he was trying to get me to so he could! Yoga instruction told DBro to leave his belt buckle, boots and spurs at home. I guess we both should find something besides jeans to wear. :)
1. Know what you want.

Return to “Healthy Habits”