Health and Fitness, November, 2015

Share healthy living habits.
Twins' Mom

Re: Health and Fitness, November, 2015

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:49 pm

I think I mentioned in PWYC that I was up about 4 lbs for the last week :shock: - I'm pretty sure I didn't eat 3500 x 4 calories beyond what I need to maintain, but I did have some large meals and more glasses of wine than normal. Then I was dehydrated yesterday - we didn't have much time between flights and I didn't want to load up on water because of needing to use the bathrooms. I was feeling pretty grouchy and worn out by the time we got home - my backpack is way too heavy for me (contains CPAP and also souvenirs) and dh was hurting because of the long walk he had on Saturday afternoon while I was poolside.

I was hoping for a low calorie day but I ate five of the fun size snickers bars before picking out the rest of the snickers bars and trashing them. The rest of the Halloween candy that is still here I can handle.

I lost my MFP streak while away - just didn't remember to log in, so starting over there, too.

I don't know if I have the energy to get many steps in today. It's raining and I forgot to transfer my fitbit to my clothes when I got dressed this morning.

Let's just say that my energy level is real low today.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:57 pm

Dstepdil and I had a chat about exercise yesterday. She is such a sweetie. She has been unable to keep up with many of her personal routines since her dmother has been ill. She said she wants to make a fresh start with exercise now beginning with her birthday. Of course it's raining cats and dogs and getting cold, so indoor will be best. I put an extra T-Tapp seminar DVD I had (shrink wrap around a cardboard sleeve) into her birthday card, so she will likely get that on her birthday. Also a post-it note promising her my extra book if she wants it.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:25 pm

Twins: I try not to weigh myself for 72 hours after flying. I find it is good for 2 - 3 pounds depending on the length of the flight. The relative humidity on a plane is drier than the Sahara Desert so dehydration is not only due to salty convenience foods and snacks and lack of water (so you don't have to keep hitting the bathroom while flying) - it is due to your body have moisture sucked out of it. Which includes out of the intestines, slowing down your body functions, leading to constipation. Fiber capsules are part of my jet-lag routine.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:21 am

Thanks for the heads up on the weight, Kathryn. I was down almost two lbs this morning, even tho I was over MFP calorie allotment yesterday. Problem with elimination system seems to be the opposite of sluggish, however. I added a little protein before bedtime last night with a glass of plain unsweetened kefir which acts as a probiotic. (One cup = 110 calories, 11 g protein and only 2 g fat.) Should help settle things down.

So I have a two day streak going in MFP now. :lol:
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:27 am

Taking more shorter walks more often these days. One done X.
Hike in the field x.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:53 am

I am wracking my brain for "MFP". All of a sudden I just can't remember.

Just took a 3,000 step walk. It's cool out but I was dressed for it and there's no wind as yet. It'll be raining later. Like Nancy, I'm hoping to take a few shorter strolls. Didn't want to go all around the big pond in case I couldn't make it back. Walked some of the shorter roads on this side.

Dee, you know that even snacking all day would not amount to the 7000 extra calories it would take to add two pounds of body fat. The two pounds will be gone in no time and you will remember how unsatisfying all the snacking really was.
You're so right, Run Kitty. Last night I made chili and it was sooooo good that I ate too much of that so my weight was up another .2# this morning. But now I'm determined again. Go back to the Dr. (my GP) in 8 days so hoping to at least be down a # by then.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:44 pm

Dee: MFP = MyFitnessPal - the calorie tracking website that Twins, Sunny, LadyM and I are using. Not sure if RR uses it too.

I'm noticing some of my clothes are really hanging on me now. I checked and I'm only down 5 lbs since the beginning of August when they all fit fine, so I'm guessing my body fat is going down but muscle is increasing so no big change in weight but change in body shape. Today will be the last time wearing this t-shirt, it is just too baggy on my now and looks sloppy instead of the fitted look it gave me a few months ago.

It was in August that I pushed my knees more with hiking on vacation (and then really pushed them in September) so it makes sense that there is muscle being developed with the greater movement now.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:48 pm

I'm down about 5 lbs. this month so far. Really really good for me. Filling in the chart but the empty blocks tell me I could be doing more. How, I don't know. That much rabbit food with no carbs is very filling. Filling, yes; satisfying, no. I'm definitely doing low - carb but not cutting that completely out. It's all helping on the fiber deal, but I did notice I must eat an incredible amount of fiber for everything to "work". The soluble fiber (meta mucil or similar drink) is what I'm using and have gotten over the ick feeling when I drink it. I do know I must drink it immediately though or it turns into glop consistency and that is really really icky.

I need to up my protein though. I do think that will help and I have lots of excess calories to put towards that. I still have occasional ice cream, but 1/4 cup and that is satisfying. If only I could have cheese. No amount of fiber overcomes the occasional piece of cheese. :x

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:24 pm

Did a decent amount of walking with Ella today I think. Some in the field the loop and up the road a mi. I think. She did a doggie meet n greet and we met another dog walker.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:01 am

Still letting my weight normalize. The kicker yesterday was that I had a sandwich with enough sodium for the entire day! I ended up even on calories for the day, but over in fat and sodium. Didn't get to 10K steps but got to 7500 or so.

Return to “Healthy Habits”