Health and Fitness, December 2015

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, December 2015

Postby Harriet » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:09 am

Perseverance is the quality found in people of an enthusiastic temperament, who, once they have discerned the favorable possibilities of an enterprise, allow nothing to divert them. - H. Bessler, "Mental Efficiency", 1915

Our enterprise is favorable! We know healthy habits like quality eating, adequate rest or daily activity have added benefits to our lives and our family's lives, so let's not be diverted! Keep up the consistency of enthusiastic temperament in December and we'll persevere together!

Are you setting new goals? We will be your cheerleading section!
Do you have a frustrating complaint? (someone here can probably say, BTDT)
Have you reached a milestone (or modest marker) along the way? Do tell!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, December 2015

Postby Nancy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:15 pm

Got on the gazelle this morning for 30 min. For today's ex. Plus around the block, and to the corner 2x and short loop in the field.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:53 pm

I managed to hold on to a 6 lb loss in November. Really good for me considering how slow I lose and how we hosted a big holiday dinner here.

I have set up new file, today got all that together in a folder and a new spreadsheet to mark off squares with marker. Working on fiber and fats and calories. If I get the fiber and fats right the calories fall right into line too.

Have Christmas to get through this month. At least I won't be hosting that. Hope to get another 4 off, 6 would be better, I'd hit the New Year at 150.

If I was able to keep this up and if I didn't spend gobs of time at a plateau, I'd hit my next set of lab tests at a maintenance level. Speaking of lab tests, I just got my last lab results back yesterday and they said all my electrolytes are normal. This time my sodium is just on the edge of normal which means I won't have to switch to another Rx. It also means I have to concentrate on getting this much salt in my diet from now on. Just how my body is right now with my Rx and its side effects. This was a huge relief to me, 1 problem avoided.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:39 pm

WTG, Harmony on the weight loss and the blood work!

I'm down about 5-6 lbs from my highest point which was right after Rosh Hashanah, but the out of town travel has played havoc with my commitment. I need to start my "string" again on MFP and focus on getting enough steps in.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:36 am

Very happy for Harmony, Twins' Mom and Kathryn, sporting new scale victories within the last month. (Who'd I miss? Whoops. I know there was someone.) Sadie had lost 17 pounds during the late summer/autumn. Dee lost 15 or so since February.

Nancy found a new health helper last month - so cool. :D

I stepped out of my comfort zone and enrolled in a 5-week streaming video exercise class. It's divided into 3 parts, each of which cost $10, so the price was right, and you can chat and get some input. Not as much as an in-person class, of course, but those come around very seldom.

There are a few reasons I did it. But most important is that it's not solely dependent on me being a self-starter. ;) I won't be able to set it on a shelf (the danger with DVDs that are yours forever) and say that I'll get around to it. It actually has a time limit. I either use it and get value from my money now, or lose it in 5 weeks wiithout having gotten the benefit. There are no "police", but you can't consider yourself keeping up with the class unless you put in an hour, 4 times a week.

Another reason is that it's mentally challenging and I'll learn a thing or two.

After the first hour session, I feel good, although I notice joint pain in my right hand. That may be because I wasn't well hydrated, or have had a lot of animal protein lately, or the additives in some extra restaurant food lately, not sure. I can tell it's intense for the shoulders, too.

Supper tonight was Crowder's and mixed greens. I think that looked good to me because if I'm going commit to this exercise, I certainly want to get in the veggies to back it up, lol.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:51 pm

Restarting today. The last couple of days have been challenging and I haven't risen to the challenges!

I'm starting to sleep better (I'm getting more 'deep' sleep according to the fitbit.) Wonder if that is due to the SAD light in the morning. Hoping more sleep will help me get more productive soon. Right now, it just seems to lead to me wanting more sleep. I'm sure I have a huge sleep deficit to make up. Last weekend was particularly bad.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:33 pm

A.M. Walk on the loop done.
Rake leaves in front yd done for now.
I walked to the corner tonight to see the Christmas lights w E.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:34 pm

We have had a surprise.

My dd35 has lost so much weight she is about at her same size and figure from when she was 18 and started college. Maybe has a little bit of a tummy she didn't have then, that's all, which is not much after four births in 8 years. She has left her The Mindful Diet bookwith me until Christmas, and now I see that it is the Duke Univ. Integrated Medicine book. (I think I was calling it "Mindful Eating" here before - different book.) Its subtitle is, "How to Transform Your Relationship with Food for Lasting Weight Loss and Vibrant Health", and it was published April this year.

HRH told her she looks 5 years younger at least. She says twice she's been mistaken for a student on campus, and once was asked to remove her car from her own parking space and go park in student parking. She had to show her ID.

She still does 15-20 minutes of T-Tapp at lunchtime on the days she is in her office. Dsonil says she sometimes gets up very early to go for a walk, although she denies that it is extremely early.

Dsonil is telling her she's at the perfect size and wants her to stay at this weight. She says she has one more goal to reach of wearing some particular brand of jeans off the rack, but that she's very close. Her arms look so young. I am secretly smiling for her to think about Christmas extended-family get-togethers this year, but have not mentioned that!

Kathryn, I would think the light could make a lot of sleep change - hope it stays good. Did you notice lucylee had a question about the SAD light today in PWYC?

Last evening I "attended" my hour class again.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:23 am

The Mindful Diet sounds very interesting, Harriet. Wonderful news about your daughter; I'm sure she is thrilled with her success. Thanks for sharing.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:09 pm

I went 2 bed early last night got up early too. Raked leaves in the back yard for my exercise.

Return to “Healthy Habits”