Health and Fitness, December 2015

Share healthy living habits.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness, December 2015

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:44 pm

I did notice Lucylee's question about the light but I'm not in a position to answer it as my eyes don't have any issues yet. I do take my glasses off, although it isn't necessary. I find it easier to see to do other things. Oh, and I turn on a light in the room I'm in as well as the SAD light so there isn't as much contrast between what I'm looking at and the light itself. I keep my at a 45 degree angle to me (I have a small one which shines up into my face; my big one basically shone down on me like a giant desk lamp.)

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:55 pm

Hi RunKitty... Good to see you

As of Dec 1 I was still at my last goal. That is a good thing. I haven't regained any of my weight back. So I wanted to start back on my program in order to loose these last 10lbs.

I am down .5lbs. It's a start. I am going to my cross fit m-f usually to the 5am class. I love the people in the class as well as my trainer. It's been very cold in the mornings... High 30s to low 40s. Yesterday along with many other workouts I had to run 400m.

The first part of the hour we do warmups. We stretch first and the usually jump rope for 3-5 minute and then a host of other stuff. The last 12-20 min of the hour is devoted to the WOD (work out of the day). It varies every day. Yesterday I had to do 10 back lunges...10 on each leg..20 mountain climbers.... Down on your hands and toes and bring your knees towards your hands... Then run 400m. That is considered one round. The workout time yesterday was 12 minutes.

Usually I am the last to finish... Remember I am 15-20 years younger than most and 40 years older than others. for some reason I ran like the wind yesterday. I think it was because it was so cool out and it felt so good to run. And I didn't come in last nor second to last either. I was so fast that all of my friends noticed and made a big deal out of it. I completed 4 rounds plus a set of back lunges and mountain. Climbers

Today was weights day and I have been able to finally go up in the weights that I use. That was a huge deal because I've been using the lower weight since I started in September.

I am really happy with these results. Sometimes I'm having so much fun and feeling like a teen I truly forget my real age. I can't wait to see what the next six months bring.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:40 am

Hi, Ramblinrose. It's always good to see you too. I love hearing about your crossfit class. Wish I could do something like that on my way to work.
I like that you said, "Remember I am 15-20 years younger than most". I believe it. Wonderful that you ran so fast. It feels great, doesn't it?
I may have to start looking for a similar class.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:48 am

Just wishing I could find a trainer or gym like RR's, too.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:03 pm

RunKitty... Remind me not to write when I'm tired... I should have written 15-20 years OLDER.
Best way to fix find a trainer is to go to gym or crossfit websites and read the reviews. Most places I know of will let you participate with out cost for a class or two.

I am lucky because I had a multitude of friends that were going to Jason's before I joined. He's an easy going guy not a drill Sargent. It took me a while to learn to trust him. I wanted to progress much faster with the weight of my weights but he was kept telling me I wasn't ready. I was strong enough to lift the weights, but my form to do so wasn't right.

It took me a while to be consistent and lift right. Remember I had small strokes in the past and that interfered as well. I wanted immediate results and Jason was persistent in telling me that wasn't going to happen. I was stubborn and didn't want to listen to him, but his ability to help others convinced me to believe him.

This week was a true turning point for me. I had to do 100 Supermans... Lie on your back, shape your body the best you can like a C and rock. Now I can't do all 100 without stopping... Usually 20, rest 15 sec, repeat till I get to 60 and then I can only go 10 at a time till I reach 100... Usually I get muscle spasms along my sides which cause me to rest for a few sec. But this time though I still had to rest some I had no spasms

What I love abt going to this class and what motives me to get out of my warm snugly bed at 3:50 am in the dark is how I feel when I'm there. I don't feel my age and a n my head I am strong and young again. It's that mental experience I've learned to enjoy. Not just the physical.

Wish y'all could join me as well... We'd have a great time :)

On the scale this morning... Down 2 lbs since Wed and that makes me smile. Eating three meals and two snacks including two pieces of fruit and that makes me smile. Need to put some miles on my Gazelle today for my exercise... Will do that while watching g the football game this afternoon....

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:16 am

Just checking in. No new victories, large or small, to mention.

Still sticking with the SAD light although I don't really notice a difference in eating (I do in energy and sleep.)

Ate way too much over the past few days with Sunday being the worst. We hiked that day and it seemed to trigger major hunger. No excuse for Monday or Tuesday.

Am still signing into MFP but not logging everything I eat. I start off each morning though, so that maintains my streak. Tomorrow will 225 consecutive days of signing in.

Am scared to weigh myself. So haven't.

Didn't sleep long enough last night. Was over stimulated at my meeting and with handling email when I got home so didn't get to sleep until after midnight. Woke up this morning and got going fairly quickly (for instance, at this time of day I'm often still in bed!) I have a lot to do so think that drove me from bed.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:12 am

I am reading with great interest and cheering for each success.

My focus is all over the place and the lack of intense sustained focus on my health is showing. I am still up/down the same 5 lbs that I was a year ago.

Here focus.....come on over here focus......come stay with me.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:19 am

No new victories or fails here either. I think I now have a whopping three day streak going. Weight has dropped and stabilized to what I was seeing before Thanksgiving trip. Yesterday I got in 5500 steps but didn't put the Fitbit on until mid afternoon after most of my cooking was underway.

"Calendar event" is coming up first weekend of Feb, would like to have more time to get there.

Doc yesterday prescribed exercise for dd 3 - 4 days a week for 15 minutes. We discussed going to the Y together to use the elliptical...
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:27 pm

Funny post, LadyM. Hope the two of you get together.

Twins' Mom reminds me I also sort of have a calendar event goal on the 27th of Dec with our biggest family party at dfirstsil's. I have evidently outgrown (would that be the word?) the years (decades?) of panicking over that party, where there are the most competitive relatives. And goodness knows, dd35 will hold up the family honor this year re: fitness/slimming. But I still want to feel confident.

Let's see, that's exactly two weeks. Let's see what I can do... ...

Tonight I "attended" my hour class again, my fourth class, and didn't have to take a break. (I still need to go back and do one more of the first one, but that can be later.) This was the second streaming class, done for the first time for me, and was more difficult, I thought. Several times I figured I might take a break, but I kept looking at the time elapsing and thinking it was passing quickly enough.

Dr. Mercola's newsletter was about exercise affecting mitochondria today. I had enjoyed sitting with that and learning a little, and it turned out to be very inspirational, so I exercised! :lol: I guess I will put that down to "A Change of Occupation Is Rest", because who would think I'd have gone through a stressful Sunday at church and feel like a lot of activity.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:37 pm

I missed out on three days of class last week due to a sinus infection and same yesterday and today. I am on meds but it is slow going.

I've spent 20 mins three times today stream my sinuses with sweeties nasal steam machine. Can't put Vicks in the water so put it up my nose and let the stream travel through it. Will do it again before I go to bed.

Find I feel better as the day goes on, but I think it's because my sinus has time to drain. Therefore I'm gonna get up in the morning even if my head is hurting and see what happens after I get dressed.

I did eat a small bowl of chili tonight and last night I had two corn muffins. Sweetie was surprised, but I told him that a small "cheat" is needed from time to time in order to stay on track. Both tasted great by the way....

Return to “Healthy Habits”