Health and Fitness, February, 2016

Share healthy living habits.
Harmony

Re: Health and Fitness, February, 2016

Postby Harmony » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:43 pm

LadyM, since you are staying away from white flour, does that mean ALL flour, even whole wheat? I have noticed things you mention, you are getting way more fat than I am. I guess there must be some sort of difference in eating rice instead of flour... and other kinds of flour instead of wheat...but I'd have to see the science behind that.

I guess that is where my problem is. I can do low calorie without too many problems. But, without the fat (good or bad kind - any fat I eat I try to stay on the healthy end of that, no more butter!)
How many food groups can one give up before there is simply nothing left to eat!

It is hard to feel full or satisfied with low fat. And low fat diets, well you have to replace those fat calories with something else, and with low calorie, that leaves grains and veggies to simply fill up.

I've gone back up a pound and am stuck there. But I know what to do, I just have to do it. I have even toyed with the idea of dropping the low fat part of the diet in order to lose the weight (I could still keep my calories down but be more satisfied) and then switch back to the low fat. But I don't know if that's wise or not. I just might be tackling too much at once.

If it was just easy to figure all this out...

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:02 pm

After 15 days of no sugar & no white flour I made the decision to eat white flour. It is just too hard to watch the ingredients for everything. I still intend on greatly restrict white flour but I have made the decision that I'm not driving myself crazy if I eat it occasionally. No sugar is fairly easy so I will continue in that.

THM (Trim Healthy Mama) way of eating still appeals to me. It is taking me forever to grasp and implement that way of eating but I continue to make the effort and small improvements almost every day.

I have divided up MPB into time frames instead of meals. I am working on watching what I eat in 3-4 hour segments. Instead of Breakfast, lunch, snack, Dinner, Snack I am using
5am-9am
9am-Noon
Noon-3pm
3pm-6pm
6pm -9pm
9pm-5am

I want to keep higher carb/high fat meals apart by at least 3 hours. I want eat either low carb or low fat.
During the 3 hour segments that I eat low carb then I am eating high fat.
During the 3 hour segments that I am eating higher carb (up to 45 carbs) then I am eating low fat.
Protein is included in all meals.

There is much more to THM than that but it is the part I am working on for now.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:10 pm

RE: fat choices.

Most of the fat I use in cooking comes from coconut oil, olive oil or butter.

THM uses A LOT of coconut oil.

THM uses A LOT of almond milk, almond flour and coconut flour.

Today I'm making a couple versions of Skinny Chocolate to keep in the freezer for snacks.
1. Know what you want.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:44 pm

How many food groups can one give up before there is simply nothing left to eat!

This is HRH's lament, Harmony! If he gets too much protein, as many dieters would suggest to him, he can suffer from gout and also perhaps the kidney issues - that part is confusing - but certainly digestion issues in the absence of a gall bladder. Fat is not the problem for him although he tries to avoid animal fat. I will say that he certainly leans on coconut oil very much, usually frying something in it every day. He will not join me in my avocado, for instance - just doesn't like them. He does join me in nuts in limited quantities - walnuts and brazil nuts. Neither of us avoid butter, but probably have no more than a pat a day. Carbs which are starchy are, in one way, as bad for him as for anyone, BUT for his digestive issues potatoes are VERY good for him. So go figure. I would say reliance on potatoes to soothe his system is one of the main reasons he is not slim as many who eat as much veggies as he does are.

Whole wheat is the worst for me, as far as acid reflux, particularly. So I do no whole wheat breads, seldom any graham. Continuing to hope to learn more about other grains, not that they are "needed" but for satisfying meals. I love using flaxseed meal. Trying to perfect a quinua side dish - not there yet. Oats, of course, have been my friend a long time. I can't shake the feeling that oatmeal is fattening, though.

If I want to gain weight ( lol :roll: guess whether I do ) I eat a boxed wheat cereal of ANY kind, even those most would say are quite healthy. This is another reason I know wheat is a problem. According to The Flat Belly Diet, rice cereal like Krispies, make a great breakfast for weight loss (I used a nut milk rather than dairy). I gave that particular idea up because they wanted you to have raw sunflower seeds and applesauce with it, and that made my stomach hurt.

One of the T-Tapp intense cardios today. Just a few mins. but of course legs ache.

LadyM, which one of the skinny chocolates do you make/like? Coconut sounds good. I'd use my KAL Pure stevia packets, and I'm pretty sure I'd need to experiment because it would take less sweetening than the recipe. Might definitely be worth the experiment!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:59 pm

I walked with tbe dog in the field today we were both panting when we were done! Oh yes almost forgot planted two bare root rose bushes & transplanted some onion sets the hens dug out.

My plan - continue to shave off calories & carbs, honor lent part of the time with more fish veg. & salads. Cut back on creamer for my coffee. Keep crafting to keep out of the cookie jar, and ex. Bike and other modifications bc of knee issues.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:14 am

Read the labels with anything that says low fat. Sugar in many forms is added to make what ever is deemed "low far" taste good.

And there is a lot of new info about wheat and grains contributing to body and joint inflammation. My mother has really bad knee pains and since she stopped eating her oatmeal and cereal in the morning her knees are feeling much better.

Some believe that humans like dogs weren't meant to eat grains especially wheat. The gluten acts like glue in your system and makes many cells in your body stick to each other in ways that they shouldn't. Some believe the gluten gets into your brain and keeps the good protein from protecting the synaps and that this leads to demencia.

I eat healthy fats including butter avacados and nuts. I eat coconut oil every day... Sometimes right off the spoon.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:49 am

LadyM, which one of the skinny chocolates do you make/like?

I made the Coconut Almond Skinny Chocolate and the Peppermint Protein Skinny Chocolate. I like both of them but will adjust the recipe the next time I make them. These versions of Skinny Chocolate recipe used Tablespoons of sweetener. The THM cookbook has Teaspoons of sweetener. Tablespoons was waaaaaaaay too sweet for me. I added 1/2 of the amount of sweetener these recipes called for and wished I hadn't added that much. Next time I will reduce the sweetener even more.

I put coconut oil in my morning coffee.

Last night I made low carb pizza using a THM recipe. DH said it was very good and he would be happy with it as our pizza crust recipe. I still want to try a 3 more possibilities before picking one -
** THM pizza crust recipe using cauliflower
** The Holy grail pizza crust found on internet
** Fat Head pizza crust found on internet

I have lost 3.7 lbs in 17 days eating what seems like a crazy amount of food so my body is liking something I'm doing.

I started taking 1/2 dose of Cholesterol meds. I will monitor my body for any aches/pains to return. If I can tolerate this dosage then I will get blood test and see if it is enough to bring cholesterol levels down to recommended level.
1. Know what you want.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:16 am

I have a friend doing an extreme diet 2 juicing drinks 1 breakfast 1 lunch and dinner is a salad & chicken. She lost 26 lbs. This yr so far. It is 80 / 20 %. She is happier has more energy not so depressed. I do not know what program. If I lost 26 lbs. I would be with in 5 lbs. Of my goal. On her U cannot even tell she has lost any yet. I am off to get on the ex. Bike & get a move on in the kit.

Waiting on buffet Sun. Till I am over this cold & sniffles.

Back from our walk.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:22 pm

The whole gluten/inflammation link is interesting.

I've been focusing on cutting back on carbs (just slightly). Can't say I notice a stiffness/pain difference on the days I have my regular cereal vs days I have higher protein breakfast (which are also high in fat.) But I will say that the days I start with cereal (shredded wheat) have me craving grain carbs more than days that start with french toast, for instance. Despite the number of carbs being still high (but lower than the cereal.) I think the protein and fat (especially the fat) makes me feel more full so I go the rest of the morning easily without snacking.

That doesn't mean I've been eating anywhere near as few calories as I should be, but when I focus on higher protein/fat, I do find the weight creeps off slowly. Possibly because I'm eating so many fewer empty calories. The healthy calories in the morning (high in fibre and a reasonable protein percentage of 18) low in fat and sodium just seem to trigger eating emptier carbs (crackers, baked cheezies) through the rest of the day.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:22 pm

I did 30 min. on the ex. Bike walked around th . Block, & did some groc. Shopping for ex today.

Return to “Healthy Habits”