Health and Fitness, March, 2016

Share healthy living habits.
Harmony

Re: Health and Fitness, March, 2016

Postby Harmony » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:07 am

Hadn't weighed since my spill, so I did today. I knew I hadn't been eating much, simply because nothing in the house seemed appealing to me and I couldn't go toddling out to the kitchen whenever I felt the urge. I know a couple evenings I simply went to bed still hungry. I was finally out of the 150's. By half a pound. Now I will probably go up and down from there before this sticks, but shows me just how low my calories have to go before the scale moves. Course, I haven't been moving much, either and that doesn't help. A few years back I got down to 144 before giving up and went back up. I got real comfortable with my clothes and lost focus. This time I know not to do that.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:08 pm

Happy new "decade" of weight numerals, Harmony. (That's a gold star, lol) Those calories while you are not doing a lot are about right, then, so you are definitely learning something there. Remember, that won't be right while you are as active as you often are. You have posted activity-filled days that would blow those calories out of the water - site work to bicycling to taking care of grandboys. When more active days come up again, feed your body!

Kathryn, blue spectrum light after the sun goes down does interfere with sleep. That said, I confess my blue-light-blocker glasses are seldom used even though the computer is on way into the evening in a well-lit room. I tell myself that since I wear glasses, the inconvenience of two pair sitting on my nose is the reason. But, also, it's just hard to remember, because I'm up and down from the computer, not constantly seated there inactive.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:57 pm

I had 10 min. On exercise bike plus doing laundry for today ex this a m .

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:46 pm

Still losing a little bit. I tried on all my capris that have been hanging in my closet forever and every one of them fit now, and a couple are on the loose side. Really surprised me. I need to get a belt. I quit wearing belts years ago and my last set do not fit yet. I'll get something neutral so I can get a little more wear out of some of these looser clothes. The ones that have elastic are very comfortable but still ok to wear; the other ones with zippers are ok but a bit loose.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:19 pm

Today's ex was shopping, walking in the field, planting a rose bush.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:06 am

I am feeling fat. Lots of eating this weekend with the NY cousins. Restarting MFP.

I did a good job of getting in steps last week until I hit the weekend. Don't know that I will push today to get in steps but will eat better.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:47 pm

Harmony, my grandmother would say, "Take a dart". :) I have one or two darts I need to take in waists, too, but that's just because of poor shopping, not slimming. :)

Ds31 had his physical and he just blows me away with his teenaged numbers. Resting heart rate in the low 50s. I was giving our green-eyed boy a toy from the McDonalds happy meal I'd gotten on my way back from the long day of taxes, etc. I asked ds how long it had been since he'd been to a fast-food, and he couldn't place the time it might have been - he wasn't even sure of the year! The only thing that worries me about ds is that he does drink "energy" type drinks occasionally, and I think that is bound to be harmful. It's a symptom of sleepless nights if there is a fire call - I think several at the fire dept drink these.

30 minutes of floor exercise video this a.m., avoiding one exercise that may not be good for my back.

Later a mile hike, very hilly. By the end I was feeling it in my legs a little bit.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:49 pm

I had forgotten about darts! Many of my clothes are cotton soft ones though and would be too bulky with darts. I have one very nice pair of slacks that are the nicest I have ever had and I intend to try to do some altering on them before I donate or pack them away. They're too nice not to try to keep.

Trips away and holidays are really hard. I tried to stay on my diet and actually stayed hungry through one afternoon because I knew big dinner was coming. I know I did not eat the right things either. I surely tried and did not let it all hang out as far as my plates of food, but this morning's scale shows a 2 lb. gain. AK!

I need to be really strict now between today and 4/13 when I go for fasting labwork.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:42 pm

HRH had a really good appt with the kidney dr. One kidney-specific blood work number that had been concerning in late 2014, and was maybe the reason he was sent to this dr, has been consistently in a better range now for the last three quarter-year appts. Also dr thinks he has an explanation for the continuing pain after kidney stones, so that's good news, at least in a way. It doesn't get rid of the pain but it helps to know more about it and why it would happen, and that you're not crazy when you feel it. It's not "ghost pain", it's real.

And the visit was pleasant and long (overlong, to the point I was looking down the hallway), with both of them being such talkers, so it wasn't nerve-wracking or depressing. HRH went 16 hours yesterday without the pain. When it did come back suddenly last night, he was so disappointed, but I told him he can't expect things to work out perfectly right away. I'm sure it will be a see-saw back and forth.

I bought refrigerated kimchee (like Asian sauerkraut but lots of veggies in it) at the healthy foods grocery. Kinda excited to try this with my beans for something different.

Have been watching Dr. Fuhrman's youtube videos for my luncheon entertainment lately. Learned that onions are most nutritious when eaten raw. My ddad loved them raw.

Have been able to enjoy yogurt again for the first time since 2010, so in some way, I believe my gut has healed some. Don't want to go too far with this, but a small container every once in a while has been okay, not resulting in acid reflux.

Learned from Dr. Fuhrman for the first time ever, that lowering the protective acidity of the stomach (which is a natural control of bacteria) with proton-pump inhibitors can make one prone to pneumonia. I actually said, "Aha!" out loud. I was prescribed Nex ium in 2009 and had pneumonia for the first and only time in early summer 2010. Of course, I really needed help for the acid reflux, which was becoming a problem to my quality of life. But I remember it took soooo looong to come off that stuff later - months of reducing the dose slowly. It was just too powerful a solution for me.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:53 pm

I did 30 min. On the stationery bike and walked the dog for my exercise today.

Return to “Healthy Habits”