Health and Fitness, March, 2016

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, March, 2016

Postby Harriet » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:12 am

Welcome! This is a thread about gaining and maintaining strength for our wonderful calling, Homemaking. As we care for our own health, we grow more capable and competent to care for our families, our neighbors and our communities. As we become more effective, our hopes for ourselves and those we care about get the best chance!

Once you start to reap the rewards of listening to your body and nourishing it, healthy eating will no longer be something you should do, it will be something you want to do, and can do naturally, because it feels good and because you feel good - about yourself, and about what, how, and why you are eating. And that's powerful medicine.
- Ruth Wollever, Ph.D, Director of Research, Duke Integrative Medicine

Ramblinrose

Re: Health and Fitness, March, 2016

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:52 pm

Made my 5 am class this morning...my left foot, big toe is a bit sore from Sat. Thats because Ihad a bunion removed a while back. It had to be broken and then had a steel plate and screws placed in/on it. Therefore that toe isn't happy when it bends. Also have no cartllage between the joint and my toe bones are rubbing together.

Been eating clean since Monday. Picked up a few pounds before the race because I had to load my body with carbs...had several "energy" bars with 20g of protein but my body doesn't like anything thats processed. However I did eat a Whooper after the race and I have NO guilty feeling about that ...it was well deserved.

Drank 130oz of water last Thur. and Friday and have increased my water since Monday. I don't have any problems getting 80-100 ozs down me in the warmer weather, but during the winter season I struggle. Gotta plan my restroom breaks with what I am doing during the day. If I drink too much after dinner than I am up and down all night. And when I am subbing, there is no way to get that amount of water in for the day.

Need to measure as its been a month, but first have to remember WHERE I put my chart. :lol:
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:22 pm

Cowinkie, I hope your foot feels better soon! Proud of you for continued successful fitness planning, and here's hoping the measurements look good on paper as well as mirror. I agree that water through winter months is harder to remember.

I'm glad I switched my water plan around to pouring from the morning pitcher all day. I'm remembering "where" I am more easily, working backwards to an empty pitcher. I think it's not so much which plan, but the fact that I changed it, and so am keeping it uppermost in my mind.

Made up a meals schedule that puts certain healthy foodstuffs into my menu about 3 times a week each. Fermented veggies, flax, shiitake mushrooms, and all the good stuff in the whole foods shake - meaning the seeds, nuts, avocado, etc. Part of the reason for the planning was the discussion here last month about how frequently flax muffins should be eaten. Like flax, you might not want to have beans and sauerkraut every day, either. :) But enjoying those a few times a week is a great idea. So I started fiddling around with some advance planning of alternating high-nutrition meals and snacks when I'm by myself.

Note to self: first thing to do when getting a single-person meal ready is to get the entertainment ready. :lol: I like to sit down with an uplifting program, even if it needs to be from youtube, or recorded or whatever, to enjoy as a reward for preparing a healthy meal. So having that ready to start when my food is ready is a nice bonus, and I think it slows down my eating and keeps the meal from being a time to wolf something down without appreciating it.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:08 am

Harriet... Thankfully Sweetie likes to eat clean too. That makes planning for dinners easy for me. I believe that man could eat chicken and veggies every day of his life. Some times I substitute fish or steak for my protein. He also has a sweet tooth but I've been able to satisfy that with sharing my chocolate at night.

Went to my morning class and also are clean yesterday. I also got my water in. Part of my morning routine is now to set five water bottles out on my kitchen counter. That way I am reminded to drink them. I like my water room tempature. I usually drink a bottle of water all at once so it's easier for me to get it down.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:05 pm

I'm still on my path. Not making much progress, but I journaled about that the other day and have a clear picture about successes and failures. Lack of progress is discouraging and leads to more lack of progress. Time to stop that cycle.

Found my little pocket book - diet plan with a little plastic number gauge attached which one turns to keep track of fat calories. Very handy. I sat down and read it. so much information in just a little book, very handy to look up calories and other nutrient amounts. I'm still not well enough to be exercising and that's a problem.

Finding my way through this. I never wanted something this bad.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:21 am

Hope you're feeling better today Harmony.

Made my morning 5am class. Drank my water yesterday and stayed on plan with the exception of some additional grapes. Bought them for Sweetie and have learned to keep them in the freezer. Yummm, but they have too much sugar in them for me to eat. These are red grapes. I also had an orange. I usually eat one during the day. I eat a half for breakfast and half for a snack. Some times I change it up and eat a half of an apple and Orange a day.

I made a batch of no-carb bread... hummm not sure what to call them. Looks like a half of a mushed hamburger bun. It takes three eggs and three ozs of cream cheese. Makes about nine buns halves. I sprinkle Rosemary on the top of them before they are baked. Am d they keep for over a week in an air tight container. I toast one each morning to eat with my eggs.

Placing my water bottles on my kitchen counter is really helping me to drink my water. Happy about that.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:28 pm

... have a clear picture about successes and failures

This is so valuable. Not always easy to have. I've found that time allows me to look back, sometimes, and get a clearer picture.

Harmony, what you want for yourself we want for you. :) optimistic!

I eat alone almost every weekday lunch - or it might be brunch depending on my day. I guess this has become my "me" time in a funny way, in that (with no one else to please) I eat almost exclusively for nutritional value at these meals, even to the point of adding things that don't seem appetizing until you get used to them. Also I pay no attention to how much protein - I have 2 eggs at a time in a big veggie omelet if I feel like it. That kind of abandon must NEVER happen for HRH's meals.

He was relatively content after his dr's appt yesterday. Bp and bs were where his dr wants them. He already knew the CT and ultrasound showed the existing stones were gone. The disappointment is that all the pain didn't go away with the stones, so something else is a problem. I have my suspicions about scar tissue that may have formed after the surgery to remove the "L" shaped stone, or perhaps damage these stones have done in general. Dr. tells him kidneys themselves would not "hurt". I keep buying Green Tea leaves for him.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:21 pm

Dang dog got off her harness & leash on our walk my exercise was getting her back on & home again.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:19 pm

Harriet, I wish things were easier for your DH. There was quite a bit of information about uric acid in my last cholesterol book. I should have written all that down; I remember being surprised that uric acid has so many interactions to so many processes in our bodies. That guy happens to think purines is not the causative thing. You could maybe look up his book, he is a medical scientist of some sort: Lower your Cholesterol Without drugs, Curing High Cholesterol Naturally, by roger Mason.

Oh, I do have some stuff in my notes: Ua, keep under 5.0 for men 4.0 women. Animal products raise UA, also dairy and eggs. Purines don't raise. Vegetarians have less. Seafood does not raise. High UA is correlated with hypertension, diabetes, insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, low HDL, high LDL, high triglycerides, Obesity, high insulin, high blood glucose, arterial plaque, arterial stiffness and high coronary heart disease. People with levels over 5.2 had 3.5 x the risk of cardiovascular death. :shock: Oh my.

I have been tracking calories and total fat. Yesterday was a good day. The scale finally moved. I've made another chart of usual everyday stuff so I don't have to keep looking stuff up.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:13 pm

Walking and chicken coop & run cleaning have been today's ex opportunities.

Return to “Healthy Habits”