Health and Fitness, March, 2016

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, March, 2016

Postby Nancy » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:09 pm

I found bike scenery U tubes to view while on the ex bike or gazelle I am excited to see these! Like tour de France, Alps, Italy fun, saw the Alps one today for 20 min this a m .

Plus walked in the field w dgson and the ddog this evening. Had chicken fries w/out ranch for dinner.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:56 am

I have been reluctant to post in this forum. My night time binge eating has been uncontrollable. Last week my mother said some harsh words to me about my weight. She told me "It is just a bad habit. So stop it!" Now I have guilt at not being able to stop it on my own. I have tried multiple methods but have been unsuccessful in maintaining them. By the end of the day my energy, willpower and focus are kaput. All I want to do after getting kids in bed is exhale..... relax.....and eat.

Today is Day 3 on 1/2 dose of generic Wellbutrin (I will take 1/2 dose for 2 weeks then switch to full dose). I can most definitely tell a huge difference. They say it take a month to get the full effect of this medication. BRING IT ON! I tend to lean toward minimum drugs and was VERY reluctant to take anything. But I am fully on the welcome wagon for this medication help. About an hour after I take it, I can feel my brain come to life. Decisions are suddenly easy. I am feeling the difference not only when the medication takes affect but also when I feel the drug wear off (after about 12 hours). Night time binge eating has zero appeal to me for the past 3 nights. Medication can be a blessing.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:18 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02ddsd9
I've watched the first 2 of this series. It may help people find which diet/ approach may work best for them, depending on their 'eating type' .
The 2nd episode is at http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/ (what is the right diet for you). I'm not sure if you can view it from overseas, and the first episode was better at defining the 3 types of overeating.
Good Luck, and stay strong.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:24 am

((Lady M)) I'm glad that Welbutrin is helping - you have a lot on your plate.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:37 am

LynnLee - thank you for the links. It said the episodes were unavailable. Not sure if it is because I'm in different country or maybe there is a server problem. I'll try again later.

Twins - Thanks!
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:49 pm

LadyM, I'm glad the med works for you. There's proof a lot of eating is emotional.

UTI strip was bad. Not the highest color, but definitely bad. I missed going in today so I'll try to do that tomorrow. Hate that clinic, it's always jammed. Plus, I know it's bothering me more the last couple days than it had been.

Funny, this morning the scale said 152. I couldn't remember if it was 152.5 or 152 so I took it again. Twice more. Both times it said 151.5. I know when I go to the regular dr. her big scale always weighs me at least 3 pounds less and this is with clothes on! Makes me wonder how accurate my scale is.

Salt craving drives me crazy. When I'm out of the few salty things I allow myself to eat, I feel like an addict in rehab. Or like I think they must feel. It's awful having a sodium imbalance and needing salt more. Course, I had 2 pieces of pizza tonight, so I shouldn't be craving salt for a while.

Ok, back to my plan.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:55 pm

LadyM, what your dmother said has been proven untrue, of course, but it did stay in the public consciousness a long time. The whole "well it's your own fault" thing is way oversimplified and just doesn't hold water. Sorry you were on the receiving end of that. I had a super stressful day with folks fussing, partly at me, and even though I had an intelligent breakfast, the rest of my eating after the stressful event was not good at all.

For instance, looking at simple chicken breast with HRH, I was absolutely compelled to make a sandwich out of it. He did not - he had salad, but I was craving that bread. Cannot fully explain this, since I had not had bread in a while except for flax "bread" which wouldn't have caused this. But I know it falls under the category of "STRESS". The rest of the day included cookies with the boys, who were also making me crazy in a different way. I hope I can reel this in tomorrow.

Harmony, it's a nice thought that when you get back to dr's scale you'll see a lower number. Sorry you have to go to a clinic, but maybe you can get in, get out and you'll be so glad it's over. Take a book to read??

Dd36 says not to be alarmed if we hear a door early, as she will be going for a jog. I know dd17 won't go with her because her leg muscles will be in recovery from a jog today. Btw, I was proud - she taught the other girls how to "kick out" the lactic acid after the run, something I taught her.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:12 am

I had the good sense not to weigh myself Monday morning after the weekend. This morning at 6:30, though (somewhat early for my scale) I was back to the lowest weight I've been this year. Part of me wishes I could have stayed in bed longer :lol: and then at, say, 7 or 7:30, maybe I would have weighed a couple ounces less and hit a new low. ;)

Maybe I can inch down a little more, if this week calms down. So far, stress city. Also a low-level headache kept me about half-nervous all day. At this point I haven't been able to get to the grocery and am missing several go-to foods. So I found myself substituting with the wrong things.

Harmony, thinking of you with your new frustrations. So unfair!

Nancy, thanks for the idea of scenery youtube for exercise.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:25 am

This week I have changed up my activities wool washing out side at the out door kitchen, and warping my loom. Carding wool next then spinning it up.

Some days I do ex. To gospel tunes others I do floors for it.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:44 am

I haven't been on the scale for days now. Scared.

Sunday was OK (excellent for a Sunday but then I only had one morning service so had lunch at home.) I did bake up cookies for dessert but since they are frozen dough, I only made a half dozen and dh had 3 so I had 3. Maybe 200 calories tops.

Lots of walking last week so I averaged 11K steps a day, much to my surprise.

Monday was excellent, several hundred calories below my allotment. And I was just 150 steps below 10K.

Tuesday things fell apart. They were falling apart before ds came over and so, in the big picture, switching dinner from pizza (which is what my weakened mind had promised dh) to a full roast beef dinner (with roast potatoes, gravy, Yorkshire puddings, carrots and frozen corn) probably was the more healthy decision since it had more fibre, veggies and protein than pizza. And the bonus of extra dietary iron. It was delicious. I made the gravy with corn starch to reduce some of the white flour in the meal but still had 3 Yorkshire puddings. They are only 60 calories each so not too bad.

Unfortunately, because I was visiting with ds, I didn't get on the treadmill while dinner was cooking (my backup plan) and had no time in the evening (because I was working on the things I didn't do while visiting with ds) so I only had 4K steps.

<Rant ahead>

My sleep has been getting worse and worse since returning. It really points to the waterbed as the problem, not dh. I don't know when he'll or if he'll agree to a regular bed but he keeps asking me why I'm so grumpy but doesn't accept "I'm exhausted" as an answer. There are days I start the day crying because I'm starting the day on 'empty' and wonder if I can face a whole day of feeling exhausted.

He dislikes me being in the other room and if he isn't the problem, then I'd prefer to continue to sleep with him. But I'm not getting good rest. If I'm spending 2 - 3 hours of listening to podcasts because I just can't sleep due to the bed jiggling so I can't relax, then I feel I have to leave the room.

The other difference while we were traveling was that each room we slept in had closed drapes (because of lights outside the windows in 2 places and the drapes simply didn't open at the beach apartment due to privacy issues.) I still sleep with my eye mask (it is habit now) but I feel a difference when the room outside the mask is darker. Some light gets through. Either that, or dh is sleeping more deeply.

He actually made a comment about screens being bad for sleeping as if I should give up my screen before bed. I have tried that and it makes a difference only occasionally. But to be fully effective, one has to stop the screen use hours before bed and in my case evenings are my most productive writing time. So that makes limiting screens counter productive to me. Again, I seem to need the dark or perhaps the quiet, in order to write.

Even on nights I avoid the screens for about 30 - 40 minutes before bed, he'll take so long to come to bed (reading all the news on his smart phone) that I often start in on Wordbrain because I don't want to just be drifting off to sleep when he wakes me up to kiss me goodnight or, even if he doesn't do that, the bed jostles me as he comes to bed. I lie there, waiting for it, instead of relaxing into sleep, just like I lie there waiting for the bed to move when his twitching (which he sleeps through) wakes me up in the night.

/Rant

Today's another day. And another short night since I have to drive ds to the airport at 7 tomorrow morning.

Return to “Healthy Habits”