Health and Fitness, April 2016

Share healthy living habits.
Harmony

Re: Health and Fitness, April 2016

Postby Harmony » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:34 pm

Kathryn, think about what the Dr. told me: "too much water is bad. At least for you." She thought maybe I was carrying around a water bottle, drinking all the time, like many people do. Then she asked if I drink alcohol! :roll: Yeah, maybe 6 glasses of wine a year.

I filled in my new chart pages, lab values, weight, bp, BMI from the last 5 years. Unbelievable to have it all right in front of me. No wonder she got on my case about my labs this last time. They were not as good as I'd thought. Trending pretty much like they have been all these years. And I've been trying so hard. Really changed my diet a lot. She says I may not be able to get my cholesterol down. It might be hereditary, and also there's a component to thyroid disease causing this in some people and I do see my numbers go up substantially after that.

Printed out BMI chart and weight/height chart. Well, I'm 6 lbs from being in the normal range for weight and BMI. I sure wish I could get there.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:37 pm

Harmony, the cholesterol in the diet doesn't make much difference to the cholesterol in the blood for a lot of people - you are not alone. And after all, cholesterol is needed for the brain (yay, brain), so if the doctor thinks you just may have an inherited tendency toward high levels, remember that's also associated with agile brains!

Just 6 pounds from normal BMI... do you realize you are 6 pounds away from having a healthier weight than 70 percent of U.S. adults? And that was as of 2012. So your efforts have resulted in good news - don't let worry over numbers get you down. Look up other ideas for getting "bad" cholesterol LDL down, or getting triglicerides down if that's not where you want it, and try to add some of those in. I still say, you have done so well. We will get blessed to find a blue ribbon for you.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:33 pm

Observation...... I had to delay my daily walk at the track until this afternoon. Walking in the afternoon was a drudgery and I came home tired after the walk. I am d.r.a.g.g.i.n.g and can barely make myself move from place to place in order to watch the kids. I find myself wondering if not walking in the morning makes this much difference in my energy level?

I am only at 8K steps. I will get another 2K steps today so I can keep my streak going but it is going to require effort instead of just happening.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:17 pm

I walked and mowed I am running down the hall did that three times got winded but SO happy to be able to do th is again. Do not worry I am being careful.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:06 pm

LadyM, were you walking in heat and high humidity? That always does me in, zapps my strength.

I have done all the things they suggest for getting triglycerides and cholesterol in line. Dr. says it takes 3 months for changes to show up in labs. Of course, last night I read we should be eating plenty of saturated fats from the right sources. And good healthy fats. Now where am I going to get grass fed beef, and how does one cook it without high heat? And don't forget the RAW butter, etc. Just not very doable here. I have a life to live and little time to fuss with all this. I never consume transfats unless it's in there without being on a label. I do little processed food. Boy, this should be easier. Course I read one source who thinks below 200 for total cholesterol is too low! And I think she wants me below 130.

I should just do what my dsisilaw did. She was going to dr. for thyroid help, and the dr. began testing other stuff, cholesterol, etc. and finally she just said to her dr., "how about we just take care of the thyroid and leave the rest alone". She has changed doctors (for other reasons) and I don't know how she's making out. I'm sorta beginning to like my dr. less and less...

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:12 am

Yay! I am finally CUOP. I've been at least a week and a half behind on PWYC and at least a month behind on H&F. April is a rough month for me and we are badly under-staffed at work as well, so I've been behind with pretty much everything.
Sadly, I've done no running at all. I get plenty of walking every day at work with the dogs. 16,000 to 22,000 steps is my usual range.
I've managed to gain some weight too. Not happy about that, but I'm looking forward to the opening of our local farmers' market next week to provide me with delicious berries. I love summer!
I've enjoyed all the interesting posts this month and find them very encouraging. :D

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:32 am

Runkitty! It's good to see your CI. Your daily steps are impressive! YGG!

LadyM, were you walking in heat and high humidity?

Nope. We are still in the "honeymoon phase" of summer heat. It was high 70's degrees with high 40's of humidity yesterday when I walked. Very nice weather.

Yesterday I had a horrible eating and was dreading getting on the scale this morning. I made myself step on them so I can have the comparison for next Friday. I compare my weight to same day last week but the scales compares the weight to the day before. Both of the comparison surprised me. I ate out for breakfast (high sodium) . I ate ballgame type popcorn for lunch (Higher sodium) . I ate gas station pizza for dinner (insane high sodium) . I was 56 calories over my calorie goal, didn't meet my dairy, vegetable & good fat goals. Makes no sense that I lost 2 lbs from previous day and 4 lbs from last week.

Harmony - I totally agree that it is hard to know what is right thing to eat. There are experts that don't agree and each are telling us to eat one way or another.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:27 am

Thanks, Lady M. I think your daily steps are very impressive too. Glad your unusual eating day resulted in a loss. Sometimes our bodies respond to a change by dropping pounds. It's a nice surprise.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:42 am

Nice to see RunKitty back. I was wondering what happened to you!

As for me, Rewire is helping me remember to weigh in each morning first thing. Since I'm getting nekkid to do that, I then s2s so I'm actually getting dressed earlier than I have been. Not sure if that will lead to other positives but I'll take them one at time.

Return to “Healthy Habits”