Health and Fitness, June, 2016

Share healthy living habits.
Harmony

Re: Health and Fitness, June, 2016

Postby Harmony » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:56 pm

Consistency is the key, right? Well, I am consistent with my one problem area. If I am a little off my diet for any reason, company here, away visit, a holiday, I find it very very hard to get back to my original plan. It takes twice as long to get back on it as the days I was off.

Going through that now since the grandkids went home. I was so tired of cooking all that food all the time I simply did not want to put in the effort my diet requires. I also had things here that I don't allow in the house simply because they're not good for me and they are "triggers" to overindulge. My frugal nature will not let me simply get rid of perfectly good food.

So, old habits came right back. All these weeks of eating right and once the habit is gone I go right back to the bad things I used to do. Like a magnet, they pull me right back in. Phooey. I have gained 2 lbs. since the kids went back home. But today I did lots better and I'm going to fight my way back down and I will try to come up with some solution how to get around this problem in the future.

Sunny, that is quite an accomplishment. I know it helps that you actually like all this electronic stuff. I can't even keep up a check list more than 3 months in a row. I guess it would help if I wasn't so busy all the time.
Last edited by Harmony on Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:57 pm

WTG Sunny!

Today I walked the dog and mowed the back yard did some pruning as well.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:17 am

Way to go, Sunny! Great job tracking!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:01 pm

Today's yd wk was dealing with the tree branch in the back yd that broke and we had to get down. Not done so that will be on going this week I think.

A m walk w ddog done Mon.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:17 pm

Harmony, your first paragraph was funny. Just wish it wasn't so accurate!

Dr's appt was good I guess. No surprises. Bp was 120/82 I think (or maybe 84). I just remember 120/70 so often in the past that I used to be able to predict it, so I don't like it different. Dr says she's happy with that. I just know now that in other countries it doesn't go up. Weight was down a little but again she tells me that's not what she's watching. Things she wants me to remember - no long naps only short, and when I feel guilty exercising rather than doing a thousand other things, just do 10 brisk minutes right then so I can put it out of my mind until later. She says she's going to ask me about 10 minutes next visit.

I mentioned dd17's sadness over her hair being thin and worry that maybe it wasn't healthy. She noted how thick my hair is and agreed with me that dd probably just inherited from a different direction. Even so, she recommended a hair/skin/nails vitamin in the short time and I picked that up for dd. She says take until the bottle is gone and assume better nutrition and growing time will have taken over by then.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:00 am

My younger dd has thinner hair too. dd older has hair that is so thick that her hair (is a literal horses tail when in a rubber band) -

health and fitness is my focus as well.

wishing you a good day
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:06 pm

Double my walking distance, walked w a friend last night. Walked w ddog today. :idea: Dog is less whiney than friend lol.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:53 pm

Interesting thing to know:
If you intend to cook broccoli or other cruciferous veggies like cabbage, cauliflower, etc., and have time to cut it up early, let at least 40 mins pass before cooking. It will be more nutritious than if it is cooked right after being cut up. At the 40-minute mark, the sulforaphane in it (which is so good for us re: brain health, liver health, cancer fighting, diabetes, nasal allergies) will have already been made, in the same way it would have been made in our digestive systems if we had chewed up the raw veggie. This way, cooking won't stop the process, and it will be just as good for us as if it was raw.

Dr. Greger calls this the "Hack and Hold" or "Whack and Wait" technique.

Purchased frozen cruciferous veggies, btw, are almost always blanched immediately after chopping, so usually wouldn't provide any sulforaphane. Already cut-up bags in the produce aisle would be a good bet to already contain it, though.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:47 pm

I am struggling at night and I am trying to be consistent... this area of health is the one thing I haven't figured out as much as other areas. balance balance balance

today:
I need to set realistic exercise goals as I tend to go hog wild and then become too sore and quit.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:19 pm

I walked ddog at 5 thirty this a m with hot weather in our forecast that will be the norm.

Return to “Healthy Habits”