Health and Fitness, July, 2016

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, July, 2016

Postby Harriet » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:48 pm

Halfway into our healthy 2016 year, what are your verdicts?

Do you have a success to announce?

Are there goals you have already met or some you want to meet?

Do you need to brush up on a healthy habit?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, July, 2016

Postby Nancy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:08 pm

I woke up with a sore knee but took ddog for a walk any way knee got better before we left. Yea!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:03 am

Do you need to brush up on a healthy habit?

That would be ME!

Monday I forgot to take my daily meds. If I ever wonder if they are working, all I have to do is skip a day. By Monday evening I was a slug with no energy. Tuesday I only moved when I had to. Wednesday I felt better but still had no energy. Finally after 48 hours of being back on meds I felt *normal* again. Healthy Habit = AM checklist so i don't forget to do important things!

When I felt so bad on Tuesday I stopped doing my other healthy habits. I stopped walking. I stopped tracking water intake. I stopped logging my food. it is surprising to me how quickly Healthy Habits can unravel. They must stay priority.

The first 1/2 of the year shows 4.5 lb weight loss. Last month I had the lowest weight trend since August 2014. Nothing spectacular but at least my weight is going in the right direction even if it is at a snails pace.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:57 am

Today I filled in pet holes in the back yard for my morning exercise time & played with the ddog. P.m. exercise walked ddog & picked black berries.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:25 am

for me a healthy habit I have to go back to is sitting at the table and eating (and no eating out this month like I have).
We have been on the run - eating on the go is never good for me.

happy healthy d ones!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:00 pm

I've had to give thought to memory :roll: and a.m. personal routines also, LadyM.

In addition to a few cards that help remind, I have a printed word doc in a protective sleeve that I keep as the first page of my healthy habit records. I titled it "Daily Healthy Habit Order 2016" and count on it to remind me of the order I want to do things, not really be a check-off page. If I think to myself, hey, it's already lunchtime, is there anything I'm forgetting? , then I can just glance through all items I intended to happen by now, and jog memory.

No, not just a long list, although it could be. I separate into 6 general times of day : early morning, breakfasttime, mid-morning, lunchtime, suppertime and bedtime. So each has just a few items. Several are reminders to drink a glass of water before that meal, skincare, that sort of thing. But also pills, supplements, a reminder not to eat after supper, etc. I thought about putting it somewhere more obvious, but a couple things are private-ish.

After eating out yesterday and having some white bread later in the day, I need to shed some water weight. Today I've had a whole foods shake, an omelet with mushroom, and a beautiful tomato sandwich :) on one slice grain bread and one slice super-serious grain bread. (still loving this hack)
I'm thinking if I have just a greens smoothie this evening, which sounds very good to me, I'll have shed the water weight by morning, and even if I wear the less comfortable bra, I'll be fine without the bloat. 8-)

Hmmm... instead I ended up a little hungry, so had crowder peas and slaw, with a little egg salad, and a two cheese- and tomato-stuffed small sweet peppers. Also dark chocolate. So we'll see if this ruins my plan! Probably 8 veggies/fruits today, which would be ideal, although could have been better if one had been cruciferous.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:48 pm

Today's exercise is filling in pet holes in the back yard, pruning the apple tree. Aka yd work.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:01 pm

Trying to stay on track with walking the ddog early in the a m for my habit. Did that today.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:26 pm

In general, spices and herbs are super good for us. Yay, turmeric, fenugreek, cilantro, ginger, peppermint, oregano, marjoram and cloves!

But .. ...

Cinnamon -
Was disillusioned to read, further on in Dr. Greger's book, that cinnamon is not helpful for us as we've assumed for a long time. I have cinnamon in my muffin several times a week, so really perked up to read about this. I knew it could reduce blood sugar a little.

Unfortunately, a 2012 study from Norway, where they eat a lot of cinnamon on porridge, shows there are enough toxic effects of the ordinary cassia cinnamon found in groceries, that we're better off if we limit consuming it. This is for the sake of our livers, which can be affected by a compound called coumarin in the cinnamon. The tolerable upper safety limit for adults is a daily teaspoon; no more than a quarter teaspoon a couple times a week for small children. And the other type we might find without much trouble, Ceylon cinnamon, is non-toxic so might be nice for our recipes, but has no effect on blood sugar in the first place, so there wouldn't necessarily be a health reason to seek it out.

Am I not just Little Mary Sunshine today? :|

Btw, Dr. Greger assumes we already know to limit nutmeg? Hmmm... .. I didn't. The toxic dose of nutmeg is 2 to 3 teaspoons, so remember, we're just shaking a little on, okay! A married couple used 4 tablespoons in a dish they shared at one sitting, and ended up in the hospital.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:15 pm

Ate on plan and enjoyed my workout. I did more cardio, and I like that. Jason has the entire crossfit planned for a year. Very scientific, not that I understand it. The past few weeks we worked with heavy weights. You find your max weight and use it as a guide.

For instance I can squat 105lbs .... Today I squates
2 sets 3 time at 60%
1.5 min rest between each set
2 sets 3 times at 70% each set
Rest 1.5 min between sets
1 set 3 times at 75% of my max weight

Then I did the same routine with dead weights. My max is 115lbs.

Then I did 20 mins of cardio... 45 sec toe taps...alternating touching your toe to a 8" stack, then 45 sec step ups ... Alternating each foot on a a2 foot box and then a min rest. I was able to do 9 rounds.

Next week we reset our max weights... And then concentrate on cardio. This gives your muscles time to recoup. Not sure how long this will go but I think three weeks. Course I'll be gone for two.

We warm up and do stretching before we begin to work out and am now learning to do a class with is called Romwod. You'll have to google it but it's a type of stretching with breathing involved and I am really learning to love it. I don't stretch very easily... Never been very flexible but learning to stretch and breathe at the same time has really helped me.

What I like about these classes is I only compete with myself. And Jason a always modifies my workouts to fit me. The class today included what we refer to as a building run. All it is is running around the building. Jason knows I can't do anything outside right now be use of the heat and sun glare so he came up with a cardio routine I could do inside.

To me that's the sign of a good coach. This weekend he is giving a workshop on correct eating that I may attend. Remember he coached three seasons of extreme weight loss where his clients losses hundreds of pounds in a span of one year so he does know what he's talking about and all of his knowledge is scientifically based. Only problem is the class is at 8:00 and I usually give myself the weekend to sleep in. :D
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Return to “Healthy Habits”