Health and Fitness, July, 2016

Share healthy living habits.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness, July, 2016

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:45 pm

I have about a teaspoon of cinnamon sugar a day but of course less than 1/4 tsp of that is actually cinnamon. Still, that's is disturbing news.

I'm up to day four of tracking. So far 50% of the days have been within my calorie allotment. Weight is still the same.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:27 pm

Ramblin', you are really progressing in your workouts. Amazing squats! Hope you are enjoying the cardio now. I know there must be times when the migraines disappoint your plans. The early mornings are certainly good for July.

I cut my cinnamon amount in half for my muffin so far, Kathryn, so I'm getting about 1/4 t, about 3 or 4 times a week. I really like this little stand-by one-person recipe and hate to change it much. Still, I can't really see myself buying any more cinnamon, since the muffin is all I use it for really, and I was purchasing partly because of the good qualities. So I may reduce it as I finish this bottle, and count on the berries only for aroma/flavor. I probably put twice the berries I used to on the muffin already, since now my emphasis is on lots of servings of fruits/veggies, and I can get a half-cup serving in the muffin.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:51 am

I would like to average 10K steps daily this week, was at 13K on Monday and just over 10K Tuesday and yesterday. Need to do some make up for Wednesday when I only hit 4500 but it looks like I only need 10600 for the next 3 days.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:08 am

(RamblinRose - look away from my post!)

Last night I had to sit on a curb to eat my snack. Getting down was hard; up needed me to twist around and push up with one hand, I don't have the core strength to pull myself up from that position.

This morning I decided to do 5 stool sits (sit down on the 8" stool we have for little ones to reach the tap) and get up. Gave up after 4. Will try and make that a daily exercise. Lower toilets are mostly no problem for me now (physio on the knees helped that but occasionally after driving a long way or in the middle of night at a hotel I have to use my hand for balance.) But from a low toilet to a curb is a long distance so we'll start with the stool and try and remind the leg muscles as well as the core muscles what they are for.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:25 am

As soon as h left for work ddog was whining to go for her morning walk. So we did that. Found some blackberries to munch on.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:33 pm

Well good grief! To me, rising from a curb could be more difficult than from the ground, Kathryn. You may look like you're "seated" but can't arise as usual from a seat :? plus feet can't be underneath you at all for extra balance, like they might in a chair. So that's not going to be graceful for anyone except very short, young folks! Preschoolers would be great at this! :) Among tall people, even teens might have to smile and say an, "I meant to do that", after getting up awkwardly from a curb.

Therefore, I don't think you need getting-up pointers!

Having said that :idea: here are some anyway, learned from T-Tapp. I taught these in my Bible study class a couple months ago. The point is using lots of muscles, rather than taxing a few.

Pointers for non-attention-getting ( ;) ) rising from a seat with no armrests - sitting near edge, have palms on knees, and knees and feet both apart by 12 inches. Use the arm strength of palms pressing down to lift upper body, to add to your legs/glutes/abs strength as you rise. Trying the same movement without hands shows the difference in core strength it takes. If you want to get stronger at it privately, go hands-free. But if you want it to look easier in public, or need confidence sometime, remember this way.

Pointers for non-attention-getting rising from hands-and-knees on floor, without taxing just one side of the body - "Walk" backward on hands, tucking toes, lifting knees, so weight that was on knees now rests on balls of feet/toes (knees are still somewhat bent). About half-way in your "hand walk" to your feet, change to "spider hands" (weight on hands now rests on 10 fingertips, already starting to raise your upper body) and keep "walking" fingers backward to feet until your legs bear all your weight, and your center of gravity allows you to roll spine upright. With practice, this is quick and looks unremarkable to others. It saves placing all the responsibility on one knee and hip, which causes that groan we don't mean to make. :lol:

Lynlee could tell all about this subject I'm sure.

Tried to amend my muffin recipe re: cinnamon and also using flaxseed-plus-water to replace egg - no printable results yet. Today I came up with something like an English figgy pudding which was good but odd. :shock: Still a work in progress.

Muffin (sorta!) with mixed berries
Sandwich of shredded squash/carrot with cucumber slices
Stir-fry (homemade) with 5 veggies plus tofu

So I knocked my fruit/veggie count out of the park today. Happy about that.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:35 pm

Today getting branches loaded in the trailer and truck and unloading them at ECO was my exercise.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:00 pm

I'm at MFP for a week now. Hit the 'green' (calories in less than calories out) for most days. Weight is moving but we'll see if the trend continues. Could be water weight at this point.

Picked up baked cheetos today. I've been having a salty 100 cal snack each day and these will be part of the habit. It helps me feel less deprived.

Really rocked the protein today. I'm not rocking the early rising, though. So for the second time this week I skipped lunch. Breakfast was late enough that I could go through to afternoon snack and not worry about having lunch as well. No big savings on calories, I tend to have a bigger breakfast (today's was about 550 calories) and a bigger afternoon snack.

I need to start extra fiber for a while. This happened last time I was doing serious lower carb. It will sort itself out but in the meantime, I can get rid of the bloated feeling if I can get my regularity back. Plus it will force me to drink more water when I take the capsules.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:41 am

I am trying to decide if I'm pouting or happy. I keep switching between the two feelings.

Last week I prepared spaghetti just like I do a couple times a month. After eating about a cup of it, my stomach hurt so bad that I couldn't sleep. That got me to thinking.....WHAT is the cause? As a test, I stopped eating anything with flour. I didn't have a plan or even think it through because I didn't really think flour was the culprit. After four days of no stomach pain I ate one thin slice of bread (45 calories). Within 20 minutes of eating it, I was in sooo much pain.

Now what? Obviously I'm not eating flour again anytime soon. I can learn & develop a plan to eat at home but what about eating other places? I can think through restaurant menus and select items without flour. That is almost easy. However almost everything my mother cooks has flour. Ditto on church meals. Potluck meals. Meals with friends. I know there are ways around it. I know I can take safe food or eat before going. But I don't want to have to do that several times a week. Pouting that I can no longer simply sit down with family/friends and eat with them (aka pass the bread)

On the other hand, I'm happy that I have a solution to this health problem. No chemo or drugs needed.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:22 am

Gee, that's impressive that you seem to have learned something valuable here, LadyM - good detective work! :idea:

Some people, I'm sure, would say head to the dr and get tested to find out IF (not likely) there is something to diagnose, like true celiac disease, or on the other hand, allergy. I believe you'd be advised not to stop wheat in advance of celiac testing, in order to make sure it can be as accurate as possible. On the chance, however small, that it was celiac, it would be so beneficial to you and all you are kin to, to know. helia would be a go-to person for info about celiac since her dd20 was just diagnosed early this month.

But of course it's way more likely that you just have wheat sensitivity and now have learned that you will feel better without wheat. Lynlee, come to think of it, is probably wise on this subject.

Return to “Healthy Habits”